How much do components cost to manufacture?

Benergy

So I was just wondering, leaving aside R&D and other expenses, how much does a CPU, or GPU for example cost to manufacture?

Are there any figures out there? 

For example when we buy a CPU, is only 5% of what we pay going towards the actual piece of hardware? (I'm not criticising this, just curious)

Almost as cool as my temps  

Probably not much, as that article above shows.

For sure they make profits, but even if the CPU costs $100 to make and they sell it for $1,000, they also have advertising, sponsorships, R&D and many other things to pay for.  (Making sure I say the second part, so people don't spazz out and say we're getting ripped off and that they're making insane 90% profit margins on the CPU's)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Manufacturing costs are low but all other costs associated with the creation and distribution of extremely fragile products is where the bulk of the cost per unit comes into play. 

Like when you pay $60 for a new game, it's not like that money is going towards covering the costs of copying the game onto a CD or your hard drive.

it mostly the same for almost anything "Branded"

Beats headphones typically cost 10-18 dollars to make in China

but you pay like 200-250 or more for one pair

http://brobible.com/gear/article/truth-behind-beats-by-dre-headphones-overpriced-garbage/

http://www.techspot.com/news/61060-200-beats-headphones-actually-cost-18-make.html

and idiots still buy them

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

the real question is how much does a 5960x cost to make

Probably under a hundred. Pure silicon costs is around $11~ per Haswell-E CPU assuming all chips on the wafer are usable, $4~ for Haswell. Transistors, packaging, and other things boost the cost but likely not significantly enough as far as raw material goes.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

well the sand used to make them is pretty cheap

the billions of dollars of machines that turn the sand into a CPU are not that cheap

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

it mostly the same for almost anything "Branded"

Beats headphones typically cost 10-18 dollars to make in China

but you pay like 200-250 or more for one pair

http://brobible.com/gear/article/truth-behind-beats-by-dre-headphones-overpriced-garbage/

http://www.techspot.com/news/61060-200-beats-headphones-actually-cost-18-make.html

and idiots still buy them

Marques Brownlee had an excellent video on this. Beats invests not much into manufacturing and testing and alot into design and marketing (such as promoting them through celebrities) and thus have established themselves as a well-known brand, unlike other brands such as Audio Technica.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Marques Brownlee had an excellent video on this. Beats invests not much into manufacturing and testing and alot into design and marketing (such as promoting them through celebrities) and thus have established themselves as a well-known brand, unlike other brands such as Audio Technica.

What's more interesting is (from what I've heard) the first generation were really quite bad quality, but they have kept improving since.

So it's almost as if they prioritised PR over the actual product, and the profit from that was then used to improve the product.

Almost as cool as my temps  

15 minutes ago, Aytex said:

the real question is how much does a 5960x cost to make

The same as all of the other chips.

I bet a 980 Ti or Fury X only costs like $100-200 to make.

5 minutes ago, Benergy said:

What's more interesting is (from what I've heard) the first generation were really quite bad quality, but they have kept improving since.

So it's almost as if they prioritised PR over the actual product, and the profit from that was then used to improve the product.

You would think they would try to improve the product with each cycle but they still remain to have poor audio quality in comparison to other products from lesser known brands.

Can't blame them, they're profiting a lot from it.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder