AMD vs Nvidia - Why is Nvidia 'better'?

I was introduced to the world of PC's when I bought my first desktop back in early 2014, a second hand Alienware Aurora rocking a GTX 480 and a core i7 980x. By September, and the release of the GTX 980, I was hooked, having completely disassembled and reassembled the Alienware multiple times as it was the closest experience I could get to building a PC of my own, I bought myself a GTX 980 to replace my aging 480 and because the 980 was just so shiny, 'high tech' and new. At this point, without even realizing it, I already had developed a conscientious bias against AMD cards. In my eyes, they were hot, loud and hungry, and I had not even used one. 

Now, in 2016, I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on PC gear be it past present or future but one thing still confuses me, what happened in the race between AMD and Nvidia?

I have heard the tales of when AMD was extremely competitive with Nvidia, their cards often being far superior, and wanted to know, why is it not like that today? What happened to AMD, or Nvidia, to cause there to be so much discrepancy between the efficiency of their architectures, leaving Nvidia, for the moment at least with actual performance numbers aside, far more advanced in terms of power consumption, heat output and overclocking headroom. 

This topic is not about which brand is the better option for the consumer (I know Nvidia really screw with the market), nor is it which has the better performance, I just want to know why Nvidia's underlying GPU architecture is more advanced than AMD's, in particular in recent years.

Or am I just misinformed all together haha

1 minute ago, MayorPotatoSalad said:

I was introduced to the world of PC's when I bought my first desktop back in early 2014, a second hand Alienware Aurora rocking a GTX 480 and a core i7 980x. By September, and the release of the GTX 980, I was hooked, having completely disassembled and reassembled the Alienware multiple times as it was the closest experience I could get to building a PC of my own, I bought myself a GTX 980 to replace my aging 480 and because the 980 was just so shiny, 'high tech' and new. At this point, without even realizing it, I already had developed a conscientious bias against AMD cards. In my eyes, they were hot, loud and hungry, and I had not even used one. 

Now, in 2016, I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on PC gear be it past present or future but one thing still confuses me, what happened in the race between AMD and Nvidia?

I have heard the tales of when AMD was extremely competitive with Nvidia, their cards often being far superior, and wanted to know, why is it not like that today? What happened to AMD, or Nvidia, to cause there to be so much discrepancy between the efficiency of their architectures, leaving Nvidia, for the moment at least with actual performance numbers aside, far more advanced in terms of power consumption, heat output and overclocking headroom. 

TLDR; I prefer Nvidia for their features and their driver updates, i just dont see AMD as a good choice other than a value perspective, but i prefer Nvidia imo.

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

Because AMD is always the one to push the technology and introduce it first, and then Nvidia capitalizes on it. People saying 'better software and features' are just succumbing to Nvidia's marketing scheme. 

I know Linux-driver wise, Nvidia is miles ahead of ATI/AMD and has been for quite a considerable period. 

But on Windows, I've had much better luck, driver-stability wise, with AMD/ATI's products.  But I'm not a gamer (oh the blasphemy!  guess Linus will have to perm-ban me!), and overall gaming quality is probably the prime consideration of people faced with the choice. 

1 minute ago, Made In Canada said:

TLDR; I prefer Nvidia for their features and their driver updates, i just dont see AMD as a good choice other than a value perspective, but i prefer Nvidia imo.

In my experience (albeit with only Nvidia's desktop GPU, and AMD's mobile GPU), Nvidia releases loads of drivers that go from rock solid on most cards, to down right buggy AF on most of them, while with AMD every single driver across 3 years (start to end of AMD fixed PowerXpress support) with this laptop has been rock solid and given me no issues at all.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

In my experience (albeit with only Nvidia's desktop GPU, and AMD's mobile GPU), Nvidia releases loads of drivers that go from rock solid on most cards, to down right buggy AF on most of them, while with AMD every single driver across 3 years (start to end of AMD fixed PowerXpress support) with this laptop has been rock solid and given me no issues at all.

It is just personal preference, some dont like it, some dont worry about it.

-Made In Canada

I just bought an Nvidia, Used, and then stuck with it pretty much that simple..... 

5 minutes ago, Made In Canada said:

Yeah I buy nvidia mostly because of features, not price performance

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, MayorPotatoSalad said:

From what I know of Nvidia Graphics Cards or more optimized, offer more features, and more games just lean toward Nvidia.

But that doesnt mean Nvidia is superior.

AMD is known for giving better performance at an equal or better price range.

I typically see AMD as better in terms of raw performance.

8 minutes ago, MayorPotatoSalad said:

Nvidia isn't better.

They just have better marketing. And since they have more people who consider they're "better" without looking at reviews, the consensus ends up being that they're better.

Their Windows 10 drivers have been plagued with issues that compare to the release of AMD's Crimson.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Because AMD is always the one to push the technology and introduce it first, and then Nvidia capitalizes on it. People saying 'better software and features' are just succumbing to Nvidia's marketing scheme.

That makes a hell of a lot of sense. AMD are like the guinea pigs for the new, often un-optomised technology, at least at the moment notably with HBM etc, meaning that Nvidia have time to see how it went for AMD and optimize it from there. However, when it comes down to the actual GPU core, it still does not answer how they are behind Nvidia.

Well, you have to know that Nvidia have more assets. So therefore, they can put more time and money into polishing their product while AMD, on the other hand, is doing what they can to offer something competitive to the market. But with Polaris and Pascal, the race will become very heated as they both use new technologies.( AMD used to be behind. Looks like they manage to catch up)

4 minutes ago, AsianvsWhite said:

From what I know of Nvidia Graphics Cards or more optimized, offer more features, and more games just lean toward Nvidia.

But that doesnt mean Nvidia is superior.

AMD is known for giving better performance at an equal or better price range.

I typically see AMD as better in terms of raw performance.

My question more relates to the actual efficiency and optimization of the graphics chip, namely, why is AMD deemed (or actually is) hotter and far less power efficient.

oh god please don't start a flame war but i would perfer AMD for card in the $200 to $300 price range. beyond that then i would have to say nvidia but AMD's r9 380 and r9 390s are the king of price to proformance and they have more vram on the 390 and the 380 has a full useable 4GB while the GT 970 only has 3.5GB 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

The one feature that the most people mention to back the nvidia's better features argument is ShadowPlay.

AMD has it too. It's just not called an awesome name like that.

Effectively, Nvidia benefits from the same "It's better because it's popular" effect that apple does.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

You are completely right on the power consumption, features, heat output and overclocking headroom aspects that NVIDIA does extremely well. But if we were to look at performance numbers and functionality of drivers, AMD is indeed extremely competitive with NVIDIA

The thing is, with a 85% (I think) market share, NVIDIA has established themselves as the dominant figure within the GPU world. Their brand name is basically what draws them to being successful, we can clearly see this in the GTX 960 vs R9 380 sector - less so in the tiers above where they're more or less equal. AMD's awful advertising doesn't help either.

With DX12 coming up, it has been speculated that AMD will have a bigger advantage than their NVIDIA counterparts due to their 'raw power' as NVIDIA has been more focused on the software aspect which allows them to be what they are today.

Performance wise, AMD dominates the mid to high end categories. NVIDIA rules the low and enthusiast categories. They're perfectly equal in my book, but NVIDIA has the better rep.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

oh god please don't start a flame war but i would perfer AMD for card in the $200 to $300 price range. beyond that then i would have to say nvidia but AMD's r9 380 and r9 390s are the king of price to proformance and they have more vram on the 390 and the 380 has a full useable 4GB while the GT 970 only has 3.5GB 

Not trying to start a flame war haha I just want to know the underlying facts behind why Nvidia, especially in recent years, have a more optomised architecture over AMD.

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah I buy nvidia mostly because of features, not price performance

Their price performance is not too bad but yeah, it is on the more pricey side, but their features and perks (driver updates) make up for that imo.

When it comes to these GPU topics which lead into a mini war, you almost got to say "imo" in everything...

Edited by Made In Canada
Words

-Made In Canada

23 minutes ago, MayorPotatoSalad said:

Here's why I prefer AMD:

- Superior drivers

- Better price to performance ratios

- Runs cool and power efficient on newer cards

- Generally has better flagship cards

Here I can explain:

Superior Drivers:

I have only ever run AMD GPUs in every single build that I have done personally. For friends, that's a different thing altogether. When building my friend an engineering PC, I threw in an FX 6300 and a GT 610 or something. I found it extremely hard to just get the right drivers that weren't Gaming ones. I had a similar experience trying to navigate the settings. We have K620s at school and I have had a similar experience with trying to navigate the interface. When taking out a 750 from a friends computer (replaced with a 390) and putting it into an A8 PC, once again, I had trouble getting the drivers because of their confusing website. It should be noted that with the engineering PC, I got the drivers from windows update (they were all up to date, I checked). Compare with AMD, by example, there is a simple Autodetect Utility which is very easy to use. The drivers are very simple to navigate and the graphics card is very easy to overclock. Also, I feel like it's every f****** day that my friend comes up to me to tell me that nvidia has f***ed up again. I find that AMD generally have better drivers on windows and nvidia on linux. Even if the AMD drivers don't work, from personal experience, the beta ones always do

Better Price to Performance Ratios:

In Australia, the GTX 970 is the same price as an R9 390. Generally, it has 4.5GB moar vRAM and has better performance at 1080p and 1440p. Thus, better price to performance ratios

Runs cool and power efficient on newer cards:

Taking the R9 Fury X and Radeon Pro Duo by example. Has water cooling, runs cooler and runs at 750W.

Generally has better flagship cards:

Eg R9 295x2 is better than 2xTitan Xs

R9 390X2 is better than the 980 Ti

5 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Not to rain on your parade but that's simply not true.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Not to rain on your parade but that's simply not true.

I've seen benchmarks where the 295x2 matches, if not better on most games

Just now, jkeasley said:

I've seen benchmarks where the 295x2 matches, if not better on most games

Show me.

A 295X2 is basically two 290Xs in Crossfire. Considering how much more powerful a Titan X is, two will definitely beat out a single R9 295X2.

Spoiler

I lied, just the 1 titan x. Still performs well at 4K throug

80_40_amd-radeon-r9-295x2-versus-geforce

80_42_amd-radeon-r9-295x2-versus-geforce

80_43_amd-radeon-r9-295x2-versus-geforce

80_44_amd-radeon-r9-295x2-versus-geforce

80_45_amd-radeon-r9-295x2-versus-geforce

80_47_amd-radeon-r9-295x2-versus-geforce

80_48_amd-radeon-r9-295x2-versus-geforce

9 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

-snip the disjointed wall-

Generally has better flagship cards:

R9 390X2 is better than the 980 Ti

Ok....Titan X=on par with 980ti in gaming. R9 390X2= "16GB" R9 295X2, 2x Titan X will flog both dual GPU cards. And I'm in Australia, and at the time of purchase, it cost $129 less to by my GTX 970 G1 Gaming than it would have to buy a Sapphire 8GB R9 290X (aka, a 390X), and my GTX 970 can and has been run off a 450W PSU with no problems.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, jkeasley said:

I lied, just the 1 titan x. Still performs well at 4K throug

Thought so...

While the 295X2 is a beast of a card, power consumption and Crossfire will potentially present unpleasant problems.

Spoiler