Why no VR forum?

CostcoSamples
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

There are just over 600 results when searching for VR, "virtual reality", oculus, vive or rift in topic titles. Obviously that will have missed some topics, but that should give you a rough idea of how many there are out there. On the other hand, there are 13k results for CPU or Processor in topic titles only, 5k results for steam, origin or uplay, and 20k topics in the Star Citizen subforum. At the moment, there is quite simply not enough content.

For the time being, peripherals is the correct place to post VR topics. If the time comes when there is enough VR content to justify having its own subforum, it can be added, but for now it's not happening.

I am surprised the forum still does not have a section dedicated to VR.  Is this going to get added anytime soon?

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Lack of demand for it basically

Probably not due to the lack of content that would be in such a subforum. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

Lack of demand for it basically

That seems like a stretch.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

i would wait another year or to to implement that if i was running the site. I mean most people haven't even gotten there preorders for the first gen of vr yet 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Not a lot of people buy VR headsets and have perfectly VR ready computers, maybe wait a year and they might add it, VR is kinda new still, I don't fucking know

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

VR is much more than just a display... And a lot of people want to discuss it before purchasing, compare setups, talk about content, cross compatibility etc.  There is easily enough content to merit it's own forum IMO.

PC Build

Desk Build

6 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

They fall very comfortably under displays. 

Although why we have a star citizen section is beyond me, regardless of how cool the game is. It should really fall under PC Gaming. Ah well, it still looks really cool.

LTT has a very large star citizen group. They do meetups and such. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

4 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

VR is much more than just a display... And a lot of people want to discuss it before purchasing, compare setups, talk about content, cross compatibility etc.  There is easily enough content to merit it's own forum IMO.

Just give it a little while to mature.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

10 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Not really - if we had a subforum for everything like this, we'd have a homepage that'd be 30 miles long. There simply isn't the demand for a dedicated subforum for VR at the moment.

11 minutes ago, connorpiper said:

By that logic there should probably be an anime subforum instead of one massive thread with 92,076 replies :P and an automobile subforum, instead a single massive thread with 48,242 replies.

I'm not for those 2 topics getting their own subforums, that would be dumb. It just seems like star citizen only has one because linus and luke are / used to be really hyped about it... Which I am as well, it just seems odd.

I'm not recommending removing it though. That would be a dick move.

10 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

By that logic there should probably be an anime subforum instead of one massive thread with 92,076 replies :P and an automobile subforum, instead a single massive thread with 48,242 replies.

I'm not for those 2 topics getting their own subforums, that would be dumb. It just seems like star citizen only has one because linus and luke are / used to be really hyped about it... Which I am as well, it just seems odd.

I'm not recommending removing it though. That would be a dick move.

It's actually being moved off to its own forum entirely at some point - just not too sure when.

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

It's actually being moved off to its own forum entirely at some point - just not too sure when.

Not sure whether or not that's a joke. Star Citizen is? That's fucking awesome!

5 hours ago, thekeemo said:

They fall neatly under monitors.

5 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

They fall very comfortably under displays.

So... they are not peripherals you get along with monitor but rather their own displays? I get that its mainly display you are using. But I've seen them as peripherals style.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

So... they are not peripherals you get along with monitor but rather their own displays? I get that its mainly display you are using. But I've seen them as peripherals style.

You are right they are more than just displays but without that display there isn't any point to the rest of it. But things like the vive controller while it makes it much better to use it is not essential.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

• 1 month later...

I think there should be a dedicated VR space. VR headsets are not the same as displays, they lead to different sets of questions and reviews. VR is going to be a big space over the next few years.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

8 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

I think there should be a dedicated VR space. VR headsets are not the same as displays, they lead to different sets of questions and reviews. VR is going to be a big space over the next few years.

Thats the main issue. Its not there yet. Next year or 2 years from now we might see it being regular thing. But now its as niche as G/Freesync were year ago. And those pretty much still are.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

maybe when more than 1% of people use VR then we will make a subforum for it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats the main issue. Its not there yet. Next year or 2 years from now we might see it being regular thing. But now its as niche as G/Freesync were year ago. And those pretty much still are.

G/Freesync belongs in the monitor section though. VR is a much broader category. VR encompasses much more than just head mounted displays, it includes controllers, wearables, software... If you are just thinking about Rift/Vive when you think about VR then you aren't looking at it right. Hell even a big part of Google's IO today was about VR.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Just now, Kryptyx said:

G/Freesync belongs in the monitor section though. VR is a much broader category. VR encompasses much more than just head mounted displays, it includes controllers, wearables, software... If you are just thinking about Rift/Vive when you think about VR then you aren't looking at it right. Hell even a big part of Google's IO today was about VR.

If you think that I was referring where it belongs as subject, you got me all wrong. I meant that it doesn't have such big impact in these forums right now that it would need subforum. Maybe I should have used drones as  examples? Or how about 3D printing? Wait! I know, hover boards! Why not have subforum for them since they are gaining popularity right now?

Yes, I went little sarcastic there. But I think you understand me better now. None of subjects mentioned above has their own subforum. Even when I would guess 3D printing would be one deserving it most. Printing, drones, RPi/arduino etc. are now all together under Hobby Electronics. I haven't been there to see if there would be actual need to separate one of them. But as said, we aren't yet at point where VR would be so popular it would require own subforum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Untitled.png

sadly, thats topics that are related to it, but not direcly related

on the other hand, if you lookup Vive or HTC , or OCULUS, or RIFT

you get a lot ...

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

On 4/14/2016 at 8:35 PM, CostcoSamples said:

Really? No one I knows cares that much and neither do I. VR is one of those things that just might be cool in 50 years but for now is really just neat for cockpit environments mainly due to the lackluster amount of content rich games for it. When there are vr games with better quality that ios which arent just sims maybe theyll be more mainstream, but even then, the controls just dont cut it.

System Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  

Displays: PlayStation® 3D Display (1080p)

Displays: VA1948M (900p)
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050017-WLED 66.4 CFM  140mm Fan 
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 75.0 CFM  120mm Fans  
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse