Quantum Break Benchmarks, GTX 970 & Radeon R9 390 - PC TURF WARS (Also the shitbox 1)

El Diablo
16 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Yea, there are definitely parts of the game that are broken, but it's less broken on AMD's hardware. The fact that majority of the hardware out there is Nvidia is what is making it seem worse than it actually is.

I said crazy quality :)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ashes_of_singularity_directx_12_benchmark_ii_review,7.html

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=207

R7 370 IS beaying the r9 380..how

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Why did I get a warning for not including a sorce in this thread for copy pasting

I typed up everything myself and stated the video is from digital foundry

Wtf

Are you sure you got a warning point for that? Because that would just end up with your thread getting moved or locked. No mention of getting warning points in the guidelines.

We've been receiving numerous complaints about duplicate threads in this subforum with some topics and articles being posted up to five times. Please check before posting to see if another thread already exists. Using Google search can help - put in your key words in Google and end the string with site:linustechtips.com - this will bring up all the results on this forum.

If you post a duplicate thread, it will be deleted without warning.

Tech News means news regarding technology or gaming. Please don't post topics in this forum that don't have a strong relation to technology/games.

Posting Guidelines:

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.

Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.

Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.

The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required.

If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, Pohernori said:

Are you sure you got a warning point for that? Because that would just end up in your thread getting moved or locked. No mention of getting warning points in the guidelines.

Yea.. I stated that

Just now, El Diablo said:

Yea.. I stated that

Then you should inquire with the mods or slick about the reason you got your warning point and discuss it with them. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

12 hours ago, airdeano said:

when posting in Tech News and Reviews, please observe our posting guidelines:

I Typed IT up myself..so why did u send me a warning?  

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

Then you should inquire with the mods or slick about the reason you got your warning point and discuss it with them. 

They got better stuff to do than give mods warnings and babysit them

This ISnt the first time tjos..sory this..my phone wonT let me delete..bt yh..IT ISnt the first time ITs happend to me here

12 hours ago, -BirdiE- said:

980ti is tops when it comes to RotTR, Hitman, and Just Cause 3. FuryX is tops when it comes to Ashes and QB.

Nvidia is 3-0 in every title I care about.

980ti is the best card on the market, but step down from that and I'd take the 390x and the 390 over the 980 and 970 respectively.

With all that being said, I think it's way too early to call the DX12 battle "won" by either side. All the new cards will be out by the time DX12 titles start to show up en mass in the market.

Wat? No nvidia lost IN hitman

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

They got better stuff to do than give mods warnings and babysit them

This ISnt the first time tjos..sory this..my phone wonT let me delete..bt yh..IT ISnt the first time ITs happend to me here

Afaik, slick manages the mods so that's part of what he does. I think he's pretty open to feedback and inquiries.

Yes

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=210

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

1 hour ago, Quibiss said:

Yeah, can't take any of those "news" topics seriously when I read those crap terminologies. And I don't even own an Xbox. Same goes for the PCMasterrace shit. Console/PC "wars" is so 2008.

what's the next complaint? That OP should check his privilege?

18 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Either way something is very off, I know AMD has upper hand in DX12

Not in the real World.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 hours ago, Quibiss said:

Yeah, can't take any of those "news" topics seriously when I read those crap terminologies. And I don't even own an Xbox. Same goes for the PCMasterrace shit. Console/PC "wars" is so 2008.

He does this way too often for me yo bother anymore. I think most people have done the same. The more you talk about it, the more he seems to do it.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

5 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Not in the real World.

What happens in the real world?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Not in the real World.

?

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

17 minutes ago, Quibiss said:

Just common decency when trying to initiate a discussion without sounding douchy. I guess I broke the golden duality rule of the internet, either you hate or love something, and the world has to know it because reasons. But yeah, I try to opress the OP and his opinion and want to check his privileges, whatever that means. 

dear god. Go back to Tumblr, will you?

15 hours ago, Prysin said:

actually, in terms of current GCN generations vs Maxwell2 the battle of DX12 has been won by GCN.

Not because Maxwell2 isnt good, but because the DX12_1 features that GCN is missing, due to architecture, arent going to hurt AMDs FPS very much if they must emulate it. These effects are not extremely demanding. They are more like "shortcuts" for older sets of effects.

Maxwell2 however are getting shafted by compute, it can do it, but it really hurts it. And compute is the only sensible way for the gaming industry to move forward with more complex effects.

Without compute, in order to produce the increasingly complex and demanding effects we see in games, in 3-4 years, we would need 2x Titan X in SLI with 90%+ SLI-scaling just to brute force 60FPS 1080p. Compute is what we need to move forwards without shafting the consumer or nerfing the game visuals and or complexity.

Nvidia knows this, they know it damn well. But they played their cards strictly on DX11. And you know what? Good on them.

But every Nvidia customer will be seeing little to no benefit with DX12, as Nvidia have two choices when it comes to compute based effects:

1 - If the game engine uses 32 compute queues or less, they can rely on driver optimizations and context switching to pull out the performance they need.

2 - If the game engine uses more then 32 compute queues, they will probably have to turn compute off and use proprietary effects to simulate the visuals at whatever cost there may be. Because above 32 compute queues, Maxwell2 simply has no chance. It will have to do two cycles per frame just to get the compute part done. Which will slaughter the framerates and frame-times.

But but but Nvidia can just use their market share and force game studios into nerfing visuals in order to make the game less demanding.

Sure... and then the game studio loses shitloads of money and probably customers. Not to mention they spent time making those visuals great, now they have to work to make them worse. This hurts the game studio both in terms of pride, but also financially.

This means that Nvidia would forcibly stagnate the development of games just for their own benefit. And that is something you wont get away with for very long.

One think the bosses of EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix, CDProject Red etc only think of money, but they also have pride in their products. It may not always be easy to spot it, but none of those men WANT to make a bad product. They just don't always approach things correctly. That is their own fault,

But if you as a hardware manufacturer constantly tell them to make worse products, while the competitor hardware manufacturer doesn't, then that will make them bat an eye. Because the executives, they know that what sells the most is great visuals and an immersive feeling. Right after that is content and story. But visuals, no matter how complex or simple, is what get people interested. And aslong as the game looks good and the gameplay is decent enough to not throw people off, the game will sell.

also, Hitman was "won" by Nvidia? Dunno where you read that...

Nvidia isnt the "best" in either 1080p or 1440p -> IN DX11

Reveal hidden contents

Nothing has been won by anyone yet. GCN obviously is doing better in anything using async compute, but that's far from every DX12 game.

And as for Hitman, I was responding to a comment talking about Hitman in DX12, which the 980ti ran faster in.

11 hours ago, MMKing said:

Yes

Then you read what we were talking about and realize it's DX12 benchmarks...

embarrassing....

1 hour ago, -BirdiE- said:

embarrassing....

I think everyone is waiting for you to show where a 980 ti is beating a fury x in hitman in dx12. You seem to know something everyone else doesnt. If its not winning in dx 11 why would it win in dx 12?

3 hours ago, -BirdiE- said:

Nothing has been won by anyone yet. GCN obviously is doing better in anything using async compute, but that's far from every DX12 game.

And as for Hitman, I was responding to a comment talking about Hitman in DX12, which the 980ti ran faster in.

actually, its not. It loses to the Fury X, Fury, 390X

900x900px-LL-1ff873de_K3JIXqc.jpeg

900x900px-LL-9ed960e4_7HYXgIZ.jpeg

Although, i understand the confusion, as another review site showed Nvidia clearly in the lead under DX12, which is odd, since other DX12 titles show that Nvidia gets teh same or less performance due to ASYNC compute, whilst AMD cards always surge ahead once compute is being used.

17 hours ago, Quibiss said:

As long the shitty Consoles hinder Evolution, the War moves on.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

DX12 drivers om the Nvidia side seem to struggle or their cards are the problem why wont Nvidia tell us anything? ;_;

Zen-III-X12-5900X (Gaming PC)

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35,3MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X(ECO mode), 12-cores, 24-threads, 4.5/4.8GHz, 70.5MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2.6GHz 10.6 TFLOPS (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600(ASUS Performance Enhancement), 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,7MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1.5GHz 10.54 TFLOPS (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

3 hours ago, Nena360 said:

DX12 drivers om the Nvidia side seem to struggle or their cards are the problem why wont Nvidia tell us anything? ;_;

It´s the fact their Maxwell cards aren´t as great as compute. That being said, their drivers haven´t been stellar recently either.

9 hours ago, -BirdiE- said:

embarrassing....

In all DX12 capable titles so far, we  have had a 5-10% flat improvement on AMD GPUs. For what possible reason would it be any different for Hitman?

The only time AMD struggled was with

1. Gears of war Ultimate edition, which no one takes seriously. It ran like crap on AMD, and it ran like crap on Nvidia. It was a DX9 ported title, having DX12, Gameworks and all the problems of Windows store slapped on top of it. 

2. Rise of the tomb raider. Which was ported from DX11 to DX12 post-release, and was a game works title..

You may criticize Hitman for AMD affiliation and i won't flat out disagree with you, it is very possible to make a games title perform better on AMD hardware if the developer makes a conscious effort to do so. And Hitman 2016 is probably the most AMD favoring title we have, even on DX11.

However, here is the issue. When we get Gameworks games, which are blatantly developed with Nvidia in mind, we get broken games. Batman games that are refunded, Gears of War games are barely playable. When we get a competent developer using Gameworks, as was the case with CD projekt red, we get extreme tessellation for no reason, so that Nvidias hardware performs better in benchmarks. In Hitman however, my Nvidia card suffers no adverse effects whatsoever. There is no stuttering, there are no sudden frame drops, no graphical glitches. The game runs butter smooth on my G-sync monitor.

So we are in a situation where IO Interactive is able to deliver superior performance on AMD, without causing massive issues for Nvidia customers. Whereas Gameworks titles cause massive issues for AMD 90% of the time, half of which it is causing massive issues for Nvidia customers as well.

AMD 390X

Spoiler

Nvidia 970

Spoiler

Welp, guess the 970 just became the 380X's DX12 counterpart.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 hours ago, Nena360 said:

Their cards are not able to properly utilize the performance gains that DX12 allows.

For some reason, it has been repeated over and over in the past few months that DX12 is somehow gonna improve frame rates. Which is not the case. The act of developing a title with DX12 in mind is not gonna result in significant, or even noticeable gains over developing for DX11. What you have been reading about the past few months is marketing departments attempting to hype synthetic tests intended to test a select few aspects of DX12, not how a full DX11 released game would perform compared to a full DX12 games.

Here is an example of this, a benchmark testing the amount of Draw Calls, which DX12 is very good at compared to DX11. So we get ''news'' articles like this:http://www.lazygamer.net/gaming-news/xbox/xbox-one/directx-12-shows-fps-gains-of-up-to-600/

Video in spoiler:

Spoiler

In reality, there are two main performance enhancing aspects of DX12.

1. For CPU, DX12 is better at distributing workloads across several cores.

Which results in this:

Spoiler

QB amd

2. For GPU, DX12 is capable of ''Async Compute''. Which simply allows for graphics card tasks to run at the same time, allowing 100% utilization (or near enough as to make no difference), instead of having parts of the GPU sit idle, waiting for tasks. The GM 2xx chips (900 series), are built with the limitations of DX11 in mind. Even without being able to run different tasks at the same time, the GPU stays very efficient, more so than AMDs design.

What AMD has done is to design the 7000 and especially the 200/300 series cards with DX12 in mind. Instead of a single Command Processor (Nvidia equivelant, ''Gigathread engine'') as was the case with their 5000 and 6000 series cards. The 7970 card have a smaller Command Processor, but has two Asynchronous Compute Engines or ''ACE'' as well. The 290/290x/390/390x cards have 1 Command Processor and 8 ACE.

The Maxwell design is simply incapable of properly utilizing the technology which DX12 allows for. This doesn't mean that it can't, because you can force it. However, the result is either a tiny loss in performance or a gain which is within margin of error compared to not using Asynchronous Computing at all.

As for why Nvidia is silent about it? No idea. They have been silent on Asynchronous compute since that one Twitter post over 6 months ago, and i doubt Pascal will deliver stellar support for it. Though i hope i am wrong, as Nvidia not supporting it would dissuade developers from properly supporting it.