Quantum Break Benchmarks, GTX 970 & Radeon R9 390 - PC TURF WARS (Also the shitbox 1)

El Diablo

It has been public knowledge for a long time that the gayme Quantum Break needs a 980 Titanium / Fury x to run the game in ultra 1080p

but how does the game fair when u have a midrange high end GPU from the latest architectures currently popping of shots vs one another in the pc gaming master race turf wars

Now this video is from Digital Foundry, i highly reccomend this channel as they do indepth frame rate capturing to benchmark a game insted of using normal benchmarks that me and you, and you, and him over there --> would do

which usualy are wrong as they calculate the images in the gpu pipeline and stuttering can happen way after the pipeline from numerous variables

enjoy

Edited by El Diablo
added shitbox 1 vs pc

Nice, good news for AMD, now Nvidia will have real competition we may see price wars

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Fuck it, I'm playing Devil's advocate.

I'm not seeing how Quantum Break is this demanding, especially since the game maxed out doesn't look much different than the Xbox One version. Dunno why it's hammering the 970 ridiculously either, there's no way the lighting system is that hard on the GPU.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

im here to discuss this game

its probably the best looking game out right now

but runs so bad on pc

why?

Batman revisited..... :P

CPU:                Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Graphics:         Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-E

RAM:              Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

Case:                Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case - Black (3x 140mm Phantek fans)
MOBO:            Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Boot SSD:        Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA
Game SSD:      Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive

CPU Cooling:  Overclockers UK & SilverStone - 120mm FQ121WC Watercooling Radiator Fan x 2
                       Asetek 240mm 570LX

PSU:               Corsair 750M Semi-Modular 80 Plus Gold rated

Monitor 1:       Sony BRAVIA KDL32W705BBU Smart 32" LED TV

Monitor 2:       Samsung 24" S24C300

Keyboard:        Razer Blackwidow Chroma

Mouse:             Roccat TYON

Speakers:         SBS2112 with Bluetooth

Headset:           Turtle Beach Elite 800 Stealth

4 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Nice, good news for AMD, now Nvidia will have real competition we may see price wars

They have been loosing in every dx12 title

apart from 1 i think

i think its 1, or they loosing in everything

But seriously it is published by Microsoft, so they deem it silly to show that their underselling (compared to PS4) console is shown up so badly against the capabilities of the current PC market,

Not that I am trying to start anything as I own all 3 but it is a shame they are not supporting the PC gaming market more efficiently... maybe a graphics upgrade in the future for just £49.99 included in the season pass ;)

CPU:                Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Graphics:         Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-E

RAM:              Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

Case:                Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case - Black (3x 140mm Phantek fans)
MOBO:            Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Boot SSD:        Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA
Game SSD:      Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive

CPU Cooling:  Overclockers UK & SilverStone - 120mm FQ121WC Watercooling Radiator Fan x 2
                       Asetek 240mm 570LX

PSU:               Corsair 750M Semi-Modular 80 Plus Gold rated

Monitor 1:       Sony BRAVIA KDL32W705BBU Smart 32" LED TV

Monitor 2:       Samsung 24" S24C300

Keyboard:        Razer Blackwidow Chroma

Mouse:             Roccat TYON

Speakers:         SBS2112 with Bluetooth

Headset:           Turtle Beach Elite 800 Stealth

This is a bad port from microsoft nothing surprising, anyways its awesome to see 390 taking the lead!

CPU: FX8320 @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: R9 390 PCS+Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, MotherBoard: ASRock 970 Extreme 3 r2.0, PowerSupply: EVGA 600b 80+Bronze, Storage: seagate Barracuda 1TB SSHD & Case: Corsair Carbide 200r

3 minutes ago, huracan said:

This is a bad port from microsoft nothing surprising, anyways its awesome to see 390 taking the lead!

well they went from worst then Ubisoft to at least even, improvement is good.

Yeah this game seems like a mess i'll wait for deus ex before I make conclusions about Directx 12 performance.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I think people are concentrating too much on the issue of DX12. The "Ultra Requirements" are 6gb vram ..... 970 has 4 (3.5) and the 390 has 8gb

And I can't speak about the game cause I have to wait 10 days to play cause I pre-ordered it o.O

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

So they said that the game is capped at 5/6ths your refresh rate, and they played it (presumably) on a 60Hz monitor. But yet, not on a 120 or a 144Hz display? Surely they have one that they can test?

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

15 minutes ago, huracan said:

But it runs at 720p on the shitbox 1

The game seems to just be very demanding

u need to see it in action

has allot of graphicky stuff going on

like pieww pieew pieew and boom

loads of graphficks

27 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'm not seeing how Quantum Break is this demanding, especially since the game maxed out doesn't look much different than the Xbox One version. Dunno why it's hammering the 970 ridiculously either, there's no way the lighting system is that hard on the GPU.

Ultra requirements are 6gb vram. That will be a major factor, id like to see this comparison done on medium (970 vs 390). I suspect the / know the 390 will still win, but I thin kthe gap will be much closer

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

Ultra requirements are 6gb vram. That will be a major factor, id like to see this comparison done on medium (970 vs 390). I suspect the / know the 390 will still win, but I thin kthe gap will be much closer

I don't even think it's taxing on the VRAM, otherwise the 970 would have a hell of a lot harder time holding its frame pacing. It'd be slipping, sliding, and probably just hanging for multiple seconds in that case.

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

they did do it on medium,, 

wait i think thats in another video,, brb il put it in the main post,, check again here in about 1 minit

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't even think it's taxing on the VRAM, otherwise the 970 would have a hell of a lot harder time holding its frame pacing. It'd be slipping, sliding, and probably just hanging for multiple seconds in that case.

But they do mention the frame timing of the 970 in the video, quite possibly caused by the vram. Would be useful if they posted the vram usage with the frame timings

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

But they do mention the frame timing of the 970 in the video, quite possibly caused by the vram. Would be useful if they posted the vram usage with the frame timings

I'll give you that.

But still, I'm not really sure if the frame pacing is being caused by the lack of VRAM. My bet's still on just how shit the v-sync implementation is coupled with the frame rate on the frame pacing, but if DigitalFoundry comes back to it and shows VRAM usage, that'd end this.

Either way something is very off, I know AMD has upper hand in DX12, but the lead is nowhere near this big in the other DX12 titles, I seen a chart from some German site showing 380X ahead of a 980 ....

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

It has been public knowledge for a long time that the gayme Quantum Break needs a 980 Titanium / Fury x to run the game in ultra 1080p

but how does the game fair when u have a midrange high end GPU from the latest architectures currently popping of shots vs one another in the pc gaming master race turf wars

Now this video is from Digital Foundry, i highly reccomend this channel as they do indepth frame rate capturing to benchmark a game insted of using normal benchmarks that me and you, and you, and him over there --> would do

which usualy are wrong as they calculate the images in the gpu pipeline and stuttering can happen way after the pipeline from numerous variables

enjoy

I am actually seriously thinking that the PC version is just emulating an XBO here .... and that's why the performance is so bad. How the fuck does 1080P ultra look almost identical to 720 medium on the XBO? Microsoft fucked up here, I'm getting my refund

Ryzen Ram Guide

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'll give you that.

But still, I'm not really sure if the frame pacing is being caused by the lack of VRAM. My bet's still on just how shit the v-sync implementation is coupled with the frame rate on the frame pacing, but if DigitalFoundry comes back to it and shows VRAM usage, that'd end this.

I highly doubt the vram is being used up to the 3.5gb limit

look at the titan x at the end, that only maxed at 50hz

they chalked it down to the volumetric lighting

i think its due to the gtx 970 having 1664 cuda cores vs the r9 390 having 2560

even though each of them cores are clocked at 1050mhz vs amd having 1000mhz that results in the BIG fps difference we are seeing here,, about just under 50% different, and yep thats what we are seeing here

the thing with amd is in dx11 their cards were being underutilized somuch and most of their cores were not being used

thats why with the 980TI VS FURY X,, the 980 ti beat the fury x in just about everything due to each core being like around 1200mhz vs the fury x at 1050mhz

but in dx12 the amd cards now can use all of their cores

4096 cores vs 1000 something on the gtx 980ti 

i can be wrong,, but i dont think i am

and async compute isnt even in full effect yet

the fps gap will rise and more dx12 titles come out

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

even though each of them cores are clocked at 1050mhz vs amd having 1000mhz that results in the BIG fps difference we are seeing here,, about just under 50% different, and yep thats what we are seeing here

the thing with amd is in dx11 their cards were being underutilized somuch and most of their cores were not being used

thats why with the 980TI VS FURY X,, the 980 ti beat the fury x in just about everything due to each core being like around 1200mhz vs the fury x at 1050mhz

I'm pretty sure the 980 Ti has 3584 CUDA cores.

The Fury X does have 4096 stream cores.

5 hours ago, stealth80 said:

I am actually seriously thinking that the PC version is just emulating an XBO here .... and that's why the performance is so bad. How the fuck does 1080P ultra look almost identical to 720 medium on the XBO? Microsoft fucked up here, I'm getting my refund

Because the textures are rendered at 720p

i cant rember what its called but its some bullshit that can dynamically change the resolution of stuff,, so say u look directly at a car,, the texture of the car scales up to 1080p,, but as u look at something else,, it goes to 720p

this game has allot of graphical effects

it looks amazing

5 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'm pretty sure the 980 Ti has 3584 CUDA cores.

The Fury X does have 4096 stream cores.

i think i got it confused with the titan x that has 1000something

i just checked

the fury x has 4096 and the 980ti has 2816

each of them on the fury x is 1050mhz  and the 980ti has them clocked at 1000mhz, but boosts to 1075mhz,, even though we all know nobody with a 980ti has them at that speed

14 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

and async compute isnt even in full effect yet

the fps gap will rise and more dx12 titles come out

The Titan capped out at 50fps because V-sync is running at 5/6 meaning 50fps. In its current state no card will run it past 50fps until UWP fixes its vsync.

As I said id like to see the test ran in medium on both cards with vram usage. I don't believe that the 390 is over 50-60% better than the 970 in DX12, the gap has never been that big in any other DX12 title

Ryzen Ram Guide

4 hours ago, stealth80 said:

The Titan capped out at 50fps because V-sync is running at 5/6 meaning 50fps. In its current state no card will run it past 50fps until UWP fixes its vsync.

As I said id like to see the test ran in medium on both cards with vram usage. I don't believe that the 390 is over 50-60% better than the 970 in DX12, the gap has never been that big in any other DX12 title

It actually is that big in Ashes. The 390x is considerably faster than a 980 ti at 1440p and crazy quality.

5 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Apparently the lighting system uses async compute on both the pc and xbox versions, so yea.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Apparently the lighting system uses async compute on both the pc and xbox versions, so yea.

If that's the case, then that isn't surprising, but it seems really harsh on the GPU, especially since how low resolution the ultra setting is on it.

4 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

It actually is that big in Ashes. The 390x is considerably faster than a 980 ti at 1440p and crazy quality.

http://www.legitreviews.com/ashes-singularity-dx12-benchmarks-amd-nvidia_179551/3

:|

Ryzen Ram Guide