UK Government comes up with its own e-sport tournament, tied to the 2016 Olympics

2 minutes ago, iUSEMAC said:

I just don't consider them as sports and it's my own perspective like you don't consider Chess as sports.

I do consider chess a mind sport (same as Esports), did I ever state it as otherwise? 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

12 hours ago, zacRupnow said:

I don't care about the state of the Esports organization or the 'real sports' arguments. I'm stating the static unchangeable by time fact that the Olympics is strictly for athletic events, and the fact that Esports competitors are not athletes.

Why is Olympics strictly for athletic events? Hell, the ever popular game of dodgeball is not even in the Olympics. Olympics is really nothing but a group of events that were chosen by a board or something. If it really had anything to do with athleticism, dodgeball should've been added long ago.

1 hour ago, iUSEMAC said:

I meant contests, like video game contests for a cash prize or a trophy.

Tennis and golf players get huge piles of money and trophies for winning.
Are they not sports?

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

20 minutes ago, Serin said:

Tennis and golf players get huge piles of money and trophies for winning.
Are they not sports?

I don't know how to explain this but I don't consider playing video games as sports. That's it. 

27 minutes ago, iUSEMAC said:

I don't know how to explain this but I don't consider playing video games as sports. That's it. 

Some good reasoning right there. 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Cool either way, anything and everything is a "sport" now a days anyways....

"Simple Yet Complex" 

And what ultra politically correct game will they be playing?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, iUSEMAC said:

video game competitions are not button mashing events. or shouting matches. they are mind games. most of it, if not all of it, is straight tactics & teamwork.

I'd love to see a competition between two people out-witting each other in a way that is entertaining. board games are alright to showcase this, but video games are even better. why? because seeing the action unfold in 3D art is amazing. it engages you in ways a board game just can't.

you are entitled to your opinion, this is true. but like it or not, esports is moving forward. with or without you :D

WWE & TNA should be on the Olympics *grabs popcor...AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CEEENA!*

Details separate people.

8 hours ago, dragosudeki said:

Why is Olympics strictly for athletic events? Hell, the ever popular game of dodgeball is not even in the Olympics. Olympics is really nothing but a group of events that were chosen by a board or something. If it really had anything to do with athleticism, dodgeball should've been added long ago.

The Olympics have been about contests of physical prowess since their conception in ancient Greece. The current Olympic committee chooses what events are part of them, if dogeball gets enough requests from participating countries then they will review it (may even be on their pending list already). There have been events added and removed or changed rules over time, mostly for safety, fights to the death or against dangerous animals have been removed.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I wanted to post here "inb4 "games r not sports1!!1!1" arguments", I was too late.

So much salt.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Olympics have always been about physical athletes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_competitions_at_the_Summer_Olympics

* Architecture

* Literature

* Music

* Painting

* Sculpting

On a more practical note. I very much doubt there will be allot of serious teams willing to show up for no prize money at all, and i doubt sponsors will be willing to pay huge amounts so that people who are not even part of their market can watch their commercials. There is a reason you don't see Asus, MSI, EVGA, Intel, AMD and Nvidia commercials literally everywhere. You see those commercials at games exclusive events, gamer streams, tech sites and web shops. There is also the issue of scheduling. The most popular games like LOL, Dota 2, CS:GO and Starcraft 2 have very little room in the year for yet another major tournament. Especially the team games have loads of ''up and coming'' poor teams who are simply not able to schedule and pay for any more events.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

On 4/7/2016 at 5:32 AM, iUSEMAC said:

The days are not far away when the Olympics will be conducted just for the E-sports.

the olympic committee recognizes chess as a sport

edit: wrong person

2 hours ago, zacRupnow said:

The Olympics have been about contests of physical prowess since their conception in ancient Greece. The current Olympic committee chooses what events are part of them, if dogeball gets enough requests from participating countries then they will review it (may even be on their pending list already). There have been events added and removed or changed rules over time, mostly for safety, fights to the death or against dangerous animals have been removed.

certain video games are also contests of physical prowess just that its more in line with reaction speed and mental finesse 

9 hours ago, iUSEMAC said:

the olympic committee recognizes chess as a sport

11 hours ago, iUSEMAC said:

I just don't consider them as sports and it's my own perspective like you don't consider Chess as sports.

i think his point is that he does consider chess a sport and thats why video games can be sports also

19 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

certain video games are also contests of physical prowess just that its more in line with reaction speed and mental finesse 

Dance Dance Revolution is the only on I can think of.

This is physical prowess:

Spoiler

eee6508315e6d6a63a487112e5c5eb70.jpg

This is not:

Spoiler

SNC130311_clicks_640.jpg.CROP.rectangle3

5 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

Dance Dance Revolution is the only on I can think of.

This is physical prowess:

Reveal hidden contents

eee6508315e6d6a63a487112e5c5eb70.jpg

This is not:

Reveal hidden contents

SNC130311_clicks_640.jpg.CROP.rectangle3

so if something doesnt require strength it doesnt count as physical prowess and shouldnt be a sport. so curling, fencing, table tennis, diving, sailing, shooting all shouldnt be sports because you dont need much muscles to participate in them just speed skill and accuracy

7 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so if something doesnt require strength it doesnt count as physical prowess and shouldnt be a sport. so curling, fencing, table tennis, diving, sailing, shooting all shouldnt be sports because you dont need much muscles to participate in them just speed skill and accuracy

Physical fitness, not brute strength (that picture was gymnastics). And curling, fencing, table tennis, diving, sailing, shooting all require physical fitness.

As I said earlier, I don't care what is and isn't a 'sport' because sports are just competitive activities and Esports qualifies, what matters is that the Olympics is for athletes.

The Olympics always has been, and always will be, strictly athletic competitions. 

If Esports gets a similarly large and regulated event then good, but until video games are athletic then they are not eligible for the Olympics. In the future I can see previously removed events like fights to the death return to the Olympics through video games with VR. Tron disc duels or combat like the movie Gamer would work well but we are a long way away from any form of video games eligible for the Olympics.

2 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

Physical fitness, not brute strength (that picture was gymnastics). And curling, fencing, table tennis, diving, sailing, shooting all require physical fitness.

As I said earlier, I don't care what is and isn't a 'sport' because sports are just competitive activities and Esports qualifies, what matters is that the Olympics is for athletes.

The Olympics always has been, and always will be, strictly athletic competitions. 

If Esports gets a similarly large and regulated event then good, but until video games are athletic then they are not eligible for the Olympics. In the future I can see previously removed events like fights to the death return to the Olympics through video games with VR. Tron disc duels or combat like the movie Gamer would work well but we are a long way away from any form of video games eligible for the Olympics.

and many video games require physical fitness. as shown in many esport when you get too old like beyond 28 or so you have to retire because you dont have the reaction time. and the definition of an athlete is someone that is proficient in a sport. so if esports qualify to be counted as sports than esports players are athletes 

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

and many video games require physical fitness. as shown in many esport when you get too old like beyond 28 or so you have to retire because you dont have the reaction time. and the definition of an athlete is someone that is proficient in a sport. so if esports qualify to be counted as sports than esports players are athletes 

Reflex time is not fitness, and that is not the definition of an athlete.

Definition of Athlete right from Google: a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

I'd say it's safe to assume that definition hasn't been updated for a world that considers sports to be competitive events whether physically taxing or not. It might even be from before Chess became known as a sport. Either way it assumes 'sport' as something physically taxing.

18 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

beyond 28 or so you have to retire because you dont have the reaction time

Not fitness.

definition of an athlete is someone that is proficient in a sport

Where did you get that definition from ? 

so if esports qualify to be counted as sports than esports players are athletes

By your logic chess players are athletes ? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

20 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

Reflex time is not fitness, and that is not the definition of an athlete.

Definition of Athlete right from Google: a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

I'd say it's safe to assume that definition hasn't been updated for a world that considers sports to be competitive events whether physically taxing or not. It might even be from before Chess became known as a sport. Either way it assumes 'sport' as something physically taxing.

ok whats your definition of fitness? what makes a curling player, a shooter, a sailor fit but not a esport player

21 minutes ago, cesrai said:

Not fitness.

Where did you get that definition from ? 

By your logic chess players are athletes ? 

they are technically since chess is a sport. a synonym of athlete is sportsperson