UK Government comes up with its own e-sport tournament, tied to the 2016 Olympics

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

ok whats your definition of fitness? what makes a curling player, a shooter, a sailor fit but not a esport player

If you know anything about Olympic sailing you should know it is extremely physically taxing and so is Olympic shooting (in most of it's forms). I don't know what degree of fitness is required for Curling, but it is up to the Olympic committee with their own events rules for regulating what events are to be in the Olympics and I'm sure they know quite a bit more about fitness than you and I.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

7 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

If you know anything about Olympic sailing you should know it is extremely physically taxing and so is Olympic shooting (in most of it's forms). I don't know what degree of fitness is required for Curling, but it is up to the Olympic committee with their own events rules for regulating what events are to be in the Olympics and I'm sure they know quite a bit more about fitness than you and I.

i can see sailing being demanding but shooting? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlTUo6jmfI4

edit: 

and sailing doesnt look too demanding either and did the caster call one of the sailors dickhead LOL

22 minutes ago, cesrai said:

Not fitness.

Where did you get that definition from ? 

By your logic chess players are athletes ? 

You are correct. 

10 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

they are technically since chess is a sport. a synonym of athlete is sportsperson

And sports competitors are not by definition athletes for playing sports.

As I previously stated; Definition of Athlete right from Google: a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

The definition obviously considers sports to be physically taxing because it means that the activity must be physical exercise to be athletic.

The only valid argument is that the definition of sport should be updated to 'a competitive activity or event' and that 'sports and other' should be removed from the definition of Athlete: 'a person who is proficient in forms of physical exercise.'

2 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

You are correct. 

And sports competitors are not by definition athletes for playing sports.

As I previously stated; Definition of Athlete right from Google: a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

The definition obviously considers sports to be physically taxing because it means that the activity must be physical exercise to be athletic.

The only valid argument is that the definition of sport should be updated to 'a competitive activity or event' and that 'sports and other' should be removed from the definition of Athlete: 'a person who is proficient in forms of physical exercise.'

you have not answered how shooting and sailing is demanding enough to be considered a sport over esports. and sailors, shooters are athletes right

16 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

I said most forms of Olympic shooting. Archery is demanding. The Biathlon is pretty much physical insanity. Trap (like skeet shooting) is definitely borderline.

Basic stand and aim at the target... that's where I agree with you.

7 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

you have not answered how shooting and sailing is demanding enough to be considered a sport over esports. and sailors, shooters are athletes right

No do you have a problem with calling sailors athletes ? ( about the shooting - like the video you provided - thing I agree ).

28 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

they are technically since chess is a sport. a synonym of athlete is sportsperson

I would suggest looking at definitions, and if you're incapable of doing so zac provided the definition.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

12 minutes ago, cesrai said:

No do you have a problem with calling sailors athletes ? ( about the shooting - like the video you provided - thing I agree ).

I would suggest looking at definitions, and if you're incapable of doing so zac provided the definition.

you are not getting my point. i think sailors and shooters are athletes and esports players also

23 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

and sailing doesnt look too demanding either and did the caster call one of the sailors dickhead LOL

16 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

I already replied on shooting, and I'm talking about what is athletic, not what defines a 'sport'. Sailing (Olympic sailing) how it feels to control Olympic spec sail boat is basically like doing bench press, crunches and leg lifts all at the same time while racing for multiple hours. None of those look hard as a spectator. Looks like they are sitting holding a sail but it takes alot on the arms, stomach and legs to keep the sail in the right spot and the boat at the right angle when the wind is strong enough to flip your boat.

18 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

you are not getting my point. i think sailors and shooters are athletes and esports players also

Esports is not athletic. It is a sport. Esports competitors are not athletes for Esports even if they are in their non-esports time.

Athlete is not a word subject to interpretation like Sport is.

Being an Athlete means doing activity that requires and maintains physical fitness. An Esports competitor who is also a football or soccer/football athlete is still not an athlete at esports because no amount of reaction time and mouse precision will make playing CS:GO physically taxing enough to maintain physical fitness. In the future there may be games that do require that type of physical demand (probably something like Wii Fit in VR) but there are not now so Esports is not Athletic until then.

32 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

I already replied on shooting, and I'm talking about what is athletic, not what defines a 'sport'. Sailing (Olympic sailing) how it feels to control Olympic spec sail boat is basically like doing bench press, crunches and leg lifts all at the same time while racing for multiple hours. None of those look hard as a spectator. Looks like they are sitting holding a sail but it takes alot on the arms, stomach and legs to keep the sail in the right spot and the boat at the right angle when the wind is strong enough to flip your boat.

well you can fight the olympics committee on shooting but you have to admit if that counts as a sport with athletes there is no reason why esports cant be a sport with athletes

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

well you can fight the olympics committee on shooting but you have to admit if that counts as a sport with athletes there is no reason why esports cant be a sport with athletes

No. Sports doesn't mean 'Athletes' and Athletic sports doesn't mean nonathletic sports should be considered athletic.

Once again, this isn't about what is or isn't a sport. It's about the static fact that modern day video games and esports are not athletic.