My Opinion on Rockstar. What's yours?

Culligan Man

I like Rockstar, but they, and other developers, are actually digging their own grave: they prioritize consoles, and treat PC as a pile o' crap. In the end the PC will no longer exist, and they will have big trouble developing games if they do not find an alternative.

PC MASTER RACE!

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Games are made on PC's not consoles. If your going to bake a cake you don't make it the size of the plate your going to eat it on, you make what ever size then you cut it down to fit on the plate.

Rockstar designed it for console because that's the most common platform that the game is played in and to be honest its the best platform to play games on. Ill take douchy console kids over pc elitists any day.

If you spent over 250 million on a game and you had the massive expectations that everyone has for gta you wouldn't design it first for pc then port it to console which is what your main playerbase has always been. Why give them a crappy experience? PC is the smaller audience.

Console is Rockstars style and its a good style to have. Every gta game since GTA 3 has been amazing and has been released on console first.

Mouse and keyboard is inferior to controller for gaming. Even if you argue it. Even playing gta 3 on my ipad feels more gaming oriented than a keyboard and mouse.

...they prioritize consoles...

Probably because console make up a bigger share of the market than PC does. Unfortunatley while that's the case we're going to be pretty much an after thought for most AAA developers.

Still, if the game is good and the port is good then I'll still buy it.

Games are made on PC's not consoles. If your going to bake a cake you don't make it the size of the plate your going to eat it on, you make what ever size then you cut it down to fit on the plate.

That's kind of a bad analogy, yeah they use typical workstation hardware but it will all be vitualised on an OS that would mimic a consoles. Things like models/textures will probably be designed on a windows machine, but remember PC stands for personal computer, I doubt the machines they use for the hardware simulation are anything like what we would call a PC.

It will require some optimization for a 32 bit Windows OS, I still think the reason they are holding back is more to do with marketing but there is most certainly some work involved.

@NinjaStyle013 I'm definitely looking forward to the PC release, partly for the better graphics but mostly for the mods. Either way I always play GTA games on PC with a controller.

@Camul I thought RDR was good, its nice to see that they have taken some of the gameplay mechanics from it into GTA V

That's kind of a bad analogy, yeah they use typical workstation hardware but it will all be vitualised on an OS that would mimic a consoles. Things like models/textures will probably be designed on a windows machine, but remember PC stands for personal computer, I doubt the machines they use for the hardware simulation are anything like what we would call a PC.

It will require some optimization for a 32 bit Windows OS, I still think the reason they are holding back is more to do with marketing but there is most certainly some work involved.

@NinjaStyle013 I'm definitely looking forward to the PC release, partly for the better graphics but mostly for the mods. Either way I always play GTA games on PC with a controller.

@Camul I thought RDR was good, its nice to see that they have taken some of the gameplay mechanics from it into GTA V

Playing games on a pc with a controller that's the true master race. I may even say using a big tv also better just for the experience.

Ill buy gta on pc for sure but there was a lot that pissed me off about this post...

PC MASTER RACE CIRCLEJERK AHOY!

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Rockstar designed it for console because that's the most common platform that the game is played in and to be honest its the best platform to play games on. Ill take douchy console kids over pc elitists any day.

If you spent over 250 million on a game and you had the massive expectations that everyone has for gta you wouldn't design it first for pc then port it to console which is what your main playerbase has always been. Why give them a crappy experience? PC is the smaller audience.

Console is Rockstars style and its a good style to have. Every gta game since GTA 3 has been amazing and has been released on console first.

Mouse and keyboard is inferior to controller for gaming. Even if you argue it. Even playing gta 3 on my ipad feels more gaming oriented than a keyboard and mouse.

All I can do is laugh at what you just replied with. None of it made any lick of sense.

Awesome games however i just with they would prioritize pc a bit more.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

You misunderstood me. I'm saying that because PC hardware is better than console. That you cant disagree with. and It's better for everyone in the long haul for them to ported from PC to console instead of the other way around.

The quote is from Dean Hall.

Actually, PC hardware CAN BE better than a console, the vast, vast, VAST majority of PC's that get used for playing games are not.

It comes down to capitalism, if you're spending X millions of whatever currency on a product you want as much return per dollar as you can get. The issue with GTA IV as it being a non-optimised port was that it just wasn't worth the money to do for the lack of return.

Basically, it's a business decision, and realistically how many people with decent pc's don't have a console?

Stuff I try to use;

AMD FX 8350 4.3Ghz, Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard, 2x Asus HD6850, 8BG Kingston Hyper X RAM, Hyper X 120Gb SSD, Corsair GS800 PSU, Cooler Master HAF922 Case and my branes.

Playing games on a pc with a controller that's the true master race. I may even say using a big tv also better just for the experience.

Well yeah with casual driving games, and a tv can be okay for some things but ghosting can become irritating if you like everything to be pretty.

Also for everyone saying GTA 4 was poorly optimized for PC, it really wasn't. There were a few issues early on that got patched, the problem was the render distance/texture settings at the bottom, people assumed that to max the game these had to be at 100, but if you put them to 100 and fly straight up in a helicopter you can see that it was rendering out the entire map, having to perform all the calculations for all the pedestrians and vehicles in the city which is actually quite impressive even by todays standards. Our processors can now do that and our GPUs have enough VRAM to pull off the textures. Rockstar could have easily left those settings out or limited them in some way, but they let us play about with them, kind of nice if you ask me. So many people complained though and I'm sure thats a big part of why we are not seeing a PC release date now, they are probably scared of tarnishing the name early on.

I like Rockstar, but they, and other developers, are actually digging their own grave: they prioritize consoles, and treat PC as a pile o' crap. In the end the PC will no longer exist, and they will have big trouble developing games if they do not find an alternative.

PC MASTER RACE!

Reas that back and tell you really think because historically and currently more money is spent of console game development PC's will disappear?

Stuff I try to use;

AMD FX 8350 4.3Ghz, Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard, 2x Asus HD6850, 8BG Kingston Hyper X RAM, Hyper X 120Gb SSD, Corsair GS800 PSU, Cooler Master HAF922 Case and my branes.

Agreed with OP. 

So I'm sorry folks I'm going back over to the dark side for a bit

Spare us your apologies, the only person you're letting down is yourself.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

All I can do is laugh at what you just replied with. None of it made any lick of sense.

Well yeah with casual driving games, and a tv can be okay for some things but ghosting can become irritating if you like everything to be pretty.

Also for everyone saying GTA 4 was poorly optimized for PC, it really wasn't. There were a few issues early on that got patched, the problem was the render distance/texture settings at the bottom, people assumed that to max the game these had to be at 100, but if you put them to 100 and fly straight up in a helicopter you can see that it was rendering out the entire map, having to perform all the calculations for all the pedestrians and vehicles in the city which is actually quite impressive even by todays standards. Our processors can now do that and our GPUs have enough VRAM to pull off the textures. Rockstar could have easily left those settings out or limited them in some way, but they let us play about with them, kind of nice if you ask me. So many people complained though and I'm sure thats a big part of why we are not seeing a PC release date now, they are probably scared of tarnishing the name early on.

To be an I was trying to say anyone who actually has it in their head that running around beating it over "pc master race Rockstars sucks" is completely idiotic. I don't kind the normal pc master race people but the ones abusing Rockstars because pc, the smallest platform, has been overlooked. It's sorta the same to the whole "windows 8 is bad" boat.

Nothing to OP however, he had good points and is a good sounding guy. Don't mean to offend him.

Puppet proves that most people don't actually research into why things are abused. GTA runs pretty damn good today. I've seen so many benchmarks where its running perfect. The problem like he said was that the graphics options weren't too flash. My friend can play it at 1080p on in built HD 4000 graphics with the graphics turned down.

5 years of work into Grand Theft Auto 5. I love it, so much there's so much to do I love it :D 

Although no PC did annoy me I've lived without Red Dead on PC, so I can probably do this, besides it would be a first if GTA did not come to PC.

Puppet proves that most people don't actually research into why things are abused. GTA runs pretty damn good today. I've seen so many benchmarks where its running perfect. The problem like he said was that the graphics options weren't too flash. My friend can play it at 1080p on in built HD 4000 graphics with the graphics turned down.

Yeah a decent dual core with something like a 6850 is able to max out everything and you can even get some pretty good rendering distance compared to the consoles.

It's the one thing I am worried about having to go back to console for GTA V, I hate it when you are driving down the road at top speed and the road/buildings suddenly stop loading in front of you, but apart from that, some aliasing issues and loading times, it looks pretty damn good for ancient hardware with 512mb of RAM, Rockstar definitely know how to optimize.

Yeah a decent dual core with something like a 6850 is able to max out everything and you can even get some pretty good rendering distance compared to the consoles.

It's the one thing I am worried about having to go back to console for GTA V, I hate it when you are driving down the road at top speed and the road/buildings suddenly stop loading in front of you, but apart from that, some aliasing issues and loading times, it looks pretty damn good for ancient hardware with 512mb of RAM, Rockstar definitely know how to optimize.

Oh for sure. Rockstar has got like the unreal engine of consoles or something.

Thei?'re actions is EXACTLY why I do pirate the game, LOL.  

If they maybe released it for PC the same day, I would be more inclined to buy the dam thing and support them? Oh no, they make us wait, they're a joke.

I agree with OP, but just don't let it stop u from playing the crap out of it.  Great game, but I doubt the main developers or "coders" had any say on things like this.  (Or could even do anything)

They are sell outs who only support those "der der der pc sucks because they have ddr3 we have ddr5 so we have betta grfijcs" 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Reas that back and tell you really think because historically and currently more money is spent of console game development PC's will disappear?

This was my "worst case scenario" thought. But i think they should prioritize the PC more. We need more AAA exclusives. Just my opinion.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

I loved The Warriors. 

I loved GTA 3.

I loved Red Dead Redemption.
I really really want to play GTA 5.

BUT... I agree, Rockstar don't give a crap about PC gamers. Their mindset is all wrong and they just prefer going the easy way out by retreating to consoles to try and save their assets, making Sony and Microsoft responsible for how well the system handles their games and their sales projections.

There's no easy way to escape Piracy, EXCEPT offering great content with value, replayability and supporting their customers.

I agree with what you are saying the only thing I see wrong with this is with a company like rockstar, if people don't buy GTA5 to try and show them that you are sick of their BS with the pc gamer community I think the real message you are sending them is don't make GTA5 games for PC because they are not selling. If the game doesn't sell well on PC it will be more likely that they will scrap porting over all together rather then having the game out on pc at launch. Just my opinion I mean it sucks that we have to wait for it to come to pc but I really don't believe that not buying the game will help anything if anything it will make it worse.

| Corsair 900D | i7-4770K | ASUS Maximus VI Formula | SLI ASUS Geforce GTX780 | EK & Alphacool WaterCooling | 

| Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 32GB | | Two Corsair Neutron GTX Series 240GB SSD | Corsair AX1200i |

| Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Two Seagate Barracuda 4TB  | Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit |http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/189392-corsair-900d-sli-watercooled-refresh-and-new-setup/#entry2550514

You can don't buy the game, but I can tell you it won't make a crap difference to rockstar. You mean nothing to them. I'm waiting to get my xbox one and GTA 5 for PC. 

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

You can don't buy the game, but I can tell you it won't make a crap difference to rockstar. You mean nothing to them. I'm waiting to get my xbox one and GTA 5 for PC. 

Paying customers mean nothing to Rockstar. You heard it here first.

I bought a copy for my ps3, although I prefer my computer for most games, I have the amazing ability to play on consoles as well, it's quite a bit of fun even. It's a superpower us filthy peasants have, allowing us to not partake in angry internet wars about what platform is the bestestest.

I like Rockstar man, I have loved their games and I don't think any game except GTA IV disappointed me, GTA IV disappointed me due to the lack of exploration options and it just removed all the fun out of it. I really want GTA V so badly, it looks fantastic. I don't a PS3 or an XBox 360 so I can't buy the game. The problem is that with consoles you have to invest very less at the start and have to only spend on games for the rest of the console lifetime and not have to upgrade at all. That's why most people buy a console, plug and play and not bother about upgrading unlike PC's. Here in India sales of consoles are way more than proper Gaming PC's and also can't match that price here with a decent PC. Buying a console for $400 and not bother about anything at all except the games is what seems lucrative. Check out what is happening right not GTA V the most anticipated game has come out on an 8 year old console and runs really decent and if you were using an 8 year old PC with GTA V you would be running with the worst possible framerates and lag... Unless you invested a good amount of it.... So when you launch a game this HUGE and highly anticipated you would release it to the platform which would give you most money a.k.a consoles because you have a ton of people using a consoles than gaming PC's simple as that. It's more about how much they can milk before getting it on other platforms. I just wish though that games were first released to PC then ported to consoles because it would improve development on several fronts and also would be simpler to scale it down for consoles than scaling it up to PC standards. 

Very true there mate, I really do feel that PC gamers are being let down and neglected almost by a few major gaming publishers.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?