AMD releases the S9300 dual Fiji Firepro

Prysin

S9300x2_678x452.jpg

One of the more interesting consequences of GPUs being built on TSMC’s 28nm process for an extended period of time is that it has forced both vendors to compensate and compromise in order to have product lines that cover the nearly 5 year span. Traditional upgrade cycles got thrown out of the window, and instead we saw a number of refreshes and updates, culminating in both AMD and NVIDIA taking their top GPUs right to the 28nm reticle limit of ~600mm2. Such large GPUs have typically been the crossover point between graphics and compute parts, incorporating high-end features such as ECC memory and faster double precision (FP64) compute capabilities. However for the reticle riders, AMD and NVIDIA went another route, building what is arguably the ultimate graphics GPUs with the highest FP32 performance possible.

I mention this because it puts the GPU vendors into the position of doing unconventional things with their GPUs. Nowhere is this more evident than in the new FirePro card AMD is announcing today. The FirePro S9300 X2 is the latest entry into the FirePro S series lineup, and it marks the first (and possibly only) time we’ll see AMD’s Fiji GPU used to power an HPC-grade compute card. The end result is an interesting product that at times will be wickedly powerful for a 300W card, and at other times will have to cope with the abilities and limitations of a GPU that wasn’t designed for the traditional HPC market.

The end result is that the S9300 X2 is an interesting niche product designed for a certain market segments that need strong FP32 performance above all else – and everything else held equal, don’t use massive data sets. It’s a somewhat narrow niche as a result, but one AMD believes they can do very well in given what kind of FP32 performance S9300 X2 is capable of, especially as NVIDIA doesn’t have an FP32 HPC-focused dual-GPU card of their own.

AMD%20FirePro%20S9300%20x2%20Launch%20De

BUT WAIT, THERE IS MORE!!!!

AMD will also be looking to exploit the products of their Boltzmann Initiative – now formally called the Radeon Open Compute Platform (ROCm) – which will be near or at production quality by the time the S9300 X2 ships. With AMD’s newest card providing the necessary muscle at the hardware level, the company is looking towards ROCm’s heterogeneous compiler to close the gap with NVIDIA on the software side, with the HIPify tools to further bridge that gap by giving developers the means to port their CUDA applications over to AMD’s platform. AMD has already seen some success with ROCm with the geosciences firm CGG, and they’re hoping to continue this trend as the ROCm platform reaches production quality.

AMD%20FirePro%20S9300%20x2%20Launch%20De

Source: http://anandtech.com/show/10209/amd-announces-firepro-s9300-x2

Don't miss our limited time offer of only $5999

but wait!!!  If you order now, you will get a complimentary red and black toothbrush and all a wheelbarrow to collect salt from all the competitors fanboys!!!!

On a more honest note:

I have to agree on the comments on the Anandtech comment section. This is a really smart move by AMD, and it is also nice to see them making actual progress on their CUDA translation project. Hopefully this will be quite an interesting product.

On a sidenote.... WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? TWO FULL FIJI GPUS RUNNING PASSIVELY? I thought the NANO was an achievement, but this is like taking the NANO and upping the anti two more steps in terms of badassery.

HPC stuff, prolly something you'd find interesting.

@patrickjp93

Cool Stuff bro.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

AMD could make a fortune by building salt mines under all the fanboys.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Just now, mikat said:

under the csgo community you mean

We could make a fortune. :o 

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

just put a conveyor belt at @zMeuls feet when he reads this post

AMDs financial problems are solved! @zMeul produces a special 100% pure salt variety. Now with extra salt!

They do not run passive. They are designed to be used in a server case with a lot of high RPM fans. A lot of compute card are build this way.

EDIT: nice card by the way ;)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

8 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Amazing, because the first news report on it came out 2 hours ago on "NetworkWorld". and 47 minutes ago on Anandtech....

Hey, what are the differences between this GPU and the Radeon ProDuo? besides cooling?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

7 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Hey, what are the differences between this GPU and the Radeon ProDuo? besides cooling?

Well, if this can run passively I imagine the TDP isn't 400W but rather 150W? Maybe less

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

AMD is starting to be really good at the b2b server markets. That's good for us consumers too, as AMD will make quite a lot of money there. I just wonder how the cards will actually perform for their job with just 2x4GB of HBM. Usually 24GB of VRAM is not uncommon. Hopefully it will perform nicely either way.

And yeah this is not a passive card, but a server card, that utilizes the high RPM case fans that moves a LOT of air through the entire server rack, like this:

rm_fan_1.jpg

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

This is an april fools joke right?

EDIT: LOLOLOL wrong thread

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

26 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

ECC RAM, extremely highly binned GPU cores, specialized Radeon Pro (Enterprise) validated drivers, 24/7 support etc...

20 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Well, if this can run passively I imagine the TDP isn't 400W but rather 150W? Maybe less

TDP is 300W total. So 150w per GPU

The NANO is 175w per GPU

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

It´s March 31st.

Posted in the wrong thread, I was refering to the Msi modular board. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

TDP is 300W total. So 150w per GPU

The NANO is 175w per GPU

I want one ._.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I want two of these.

Actually - WHY NOT PUT THIS IN LAPTOPS?

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Can I have your 280 then?

If you buy me a Fury X you can have my anal virginity. Not even joking