Company Invents gun that looks like a cell phone.

LL

LL

LL

It seems a Minnesota Company has created a new gun that can fold up to look like an iphone. The .380-caliber pistol seems to fold up for easy carrying and concealment. 

The .380-caliber pistol, called Ideal Conceal, will be available later this year and "will be virtually undetectable because it hides in plain sight," Ideal Conceal says on its website.

In locked position, the two-shot plastic gun with a metal core can be discreetly slipped into pockets, like a real phone. But "with one click of the safety it opens and is ready to fire," Ideal Conceal claims.

www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/company-invents-gun-folds-look-cellphone-n547221

It seems that the phone called the "Ideal Conceal" will measure roughly 3 by 5 inches and will be available in October of this year for 395 USD. Regarding the possibly of the gun being sneaked into air ports or other places, the creator, Kirk Kjellberg, denies this by stating that:

"It's kind of an erroneous idea that this is any different from any other pistol, because when you run it through an x-ray, it has barrels and triggers and hammers — all the things other guns have. It has enough metal in it that it can't escape the metal detector,"

The Department of Homeland Security  reached out to Kirk about the  "Ideal Conceal"  and he  also plans on sending x-rays of the phone into them to better enable it's detection and differentiation from cell phones.

Sources:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1596075/nc-company-invents-gun-that-folds-up-to-look-like-a-cellphone

insert racist american joke here.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Well, cool...

But, 380 is sorta like being hit with a pellet gun.

It may hurt, but is probably isn't gonna hurt you... That much..

Also, do we need another way of killing people?

4 minutes ago, Zach TOm said:

This is just stupid, why would you need a smaller and more undetectable weapon that a person with malice can use? 

In the US, you must obtain a conceal carry license to carry something like this. Typically, people conceal carry for self defense. This gun looks very impractical to go around shooting people up. I doubt licensed, law abiding citizens will be using this to shoot up schools. However, if I'm on the receiving end of an attack, having this could potentially save my life.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

2 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

Well, cool...

But, 380 is sorta like being hit with a pellet gun.

It may hurt, but is probably isn't gonna hurt you... That much..

Also, do we need another way of killing people?

Self defense. I'm pretty sure if you got shot with a .380,  you wouldn't "walk it off." 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Insert Apple patent lawsuit joke here.

But all Jokes aside I believe this is a single two shot gun designed to be thrown away after use. Not sure if anyone could enlighten me on this?

1 minute ago, christianled59 said:

Self defense. I'm pretty sure if you got shot with a .380,  you wouldn't "walk it off." 

You ever been shot with a .380?

"It's like getting stung by a bee", As explained by my brother, who got shot with the round when he miss-handled a Small Caliber Pistol.

Sure it may hurt, but it probably isn't gonna kill you.

why? because apple havent had enough sht from the fbi for the past month or two lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I wish I knew a way how to deride the creator of this sort of dumb idea as not being a true Minnesotan or something like that but he even has a stereotypical Nordic last name that can be associated with this region and state.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

16 minutes ago, Zach TOm said:

This is just stupid, why would you need a smaller and more undetectable weapon that a person with malice can use? 

malice?!?!

as far as could find, this handgun doesn't have a clip; so I'd assume it only hold 2 bullets, one for each barrel - the stupid thing about this handgun is that 2 bullets aren't enough in a self defense situation

16 minutes ago, Zach TOm said:

As opposed to just using the guns stolen from police officers and bought via straw purchase? I mean, there's not even a guarantee that this thing would even work. I'm leaning torwards the direction that this thing won't even be remotely reliable. Just holding it looks horribly uncomfortable.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

why? because apple havent had enough sht from the fbi for the past month or two lol

I was thinking more along the lines that apple would be worried visual similarity between the screen side and that of a gen 5 iphone. If I were them I would be worried about this driving away their client base because of them worried about being seen as having a gun rather than a cell phone, especially from a distance.

Think I'd prefer a conceal carry 9mm than that, but it's an interesting invention.

Wow, the phone from 9 years ago finally got an upgrade... and with a higher caliber. :)

As for people saying a .380 isn't a big deal, I can't help but laugh at the ignorance.

-KuJoe

Looking at it again, this thing is a freaking derringer shooting .380. And it's made of plastic. No thank you, I'm perfectly happy with my full-sized 9mm. You can't convince me that this thing is seriously not horrible.

On 3/30/2016 at 11:20 PM, Zach TOm said:

To answer your question.

The weapon was not designed with malice intended.

And no it is not stupid. Quite ingenious really.

23 hours ago, Flat-Is-Justice! said:

Insert Apple patent lawsuit joke here.

But all Jokes aside I believe this is a single two shot gun designed to be thrown away after use. Not sure if anyone could enlighten me on this?

At $385.00 that is an expensive throw away.

A .380 is nothing to laugh at, a .380 will pierce the chest and rupture the heart, it will also pierce the skull as well.

A .380 is not meant to deal a life threatening  wound it is designed to deal out enough pain to throw off an attacker.

Any conceal carry permit holder worth their salt can hit what they are aiming at.

*Edit

A .380 come in both FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) and JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point). A JHP will expand up to 45% of it original size so you are being hit with an equivalent of an .44/.45 FMJ (with exception to weight) after it pierces the body increasing the damage it causes.

Food for thought for those that think it is a pea shooter.

Think (or research) before posting. :P same thing is said about 9mm being a nothing round, it has damage potential just as well.

Each type of round is designed to do a specific job, a .380 is designed to cause pain not death, though it can cause death if used appropriately. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

At $385.00 that is an expensive throw away.

Thanks for your thoughts. I was just curious as to how the ammo would be reloaded, as from the looks of it it seems that there is no visible way to reload.

21 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Insert witty comment about america from @thekeemo

So now you can murder innocent people while you text!

But cmon people why is it so hard to understand that guns kill more good people than bad people.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, Flat-Is-Justice! said:

Thanks for your thoughts. I was just curious as to how the ammo would be reloaded, as from the looks of it it seems that there is no visible way to reload.

Like most derringers likely. Straight into the breech.

2 minutes ago, Flat-Is-Justice! said:

Probably pretty easy, most likely a panel or back plate that slides back to reveal the chamber.

Wont be an easy change out but the 2 shots would be enough to harm the attacker and get away.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I considered posting this myself a couple hours earlier but I think it appropriate for the tech news thread, so I was going to post in the Gun owners thread but now you beat me to it. :( 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

May I ask the mod who moved this thread into off topic from tech news, why? Just curious what I did wrong in posting this to the wrong section.