Antimemetic: Scratch-built, Fully Passive, GTX 1080, SFF

nycesquire

14xkEs8h.png

I've been measuring out the frame with precision.  Precision achieved.  Enough framing. On to more interesting pastures: Gull wings!

lpaNOzRh.png

These are outrageously over-engineered kitchen cabinet hinges from Sugatsune. Japanese-made, and they feel like it. They, like everything in this case, feel like a tank. I could kick them a mile down Park Avenue and they'd still open smooth and flush.  One of them is in its closed position. The other in its open position.  Can you visualize it?  They attach to the frame using a clip mechanism. Here is the clip attached and without the clip:

XZ8IYB7h.png

The clip mounting holes are precisely 25mm apart, convenient for me because:

jEQXbAAh.png

that is precisely the distance between T-slots :) Here we are aligning the hinge assembly in the frame:

AVkjuoHh.png

And here we are, hanging tight:

17uzL5dh.png

Here's up close:

NgMa06Wh.png

And all assembled!

PO8tBLJh.png

Check out that beautiful profile:

wRqJzBYh.png

It's the last time you'll see it.  This profile will be enclosed in solid, operational heat sink in the next update.

On 4/18/2016 at 7:59 AM, nmil said:

Gotta love tapping! You have to be careful to get the tap in straight the first time though, or you'll ruin the piece.

You know, these have been a cinch to tap.  I think tapping holes I drilled myself will be a bit more of a challenge. plenty of that coming up when I break out the heat sinks...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nycesquire said:

A new GTX 1080 is only 180 W TDP?  Looks like Antimemetic is getting Pascal after all.

Compared to what AMD was teasing it is quite high.

Also if you like to OC, better think of 250 watts.

But yes, the card is suitable for passive cooling.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

9 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

But yes, the card is suitable for passive cooling.

I also noticed that the founder's edition reference cooler uses a vapor chamber.  It will be interesting to see the specifications!  Perhaps it can be used similarly to the way you used the Phi chamber.

1 hour ago, nycesquire said:

I also noticed that the founder's edition reference cooler uses a vapor chamber.  It will be interesting to see the specifications!  Perhaps it can be used similarly to the way you used the Phi chamber.

With 2 GHz it will use at least 250 watts when all cores are under load. I assume it is more like 300 watts. But while gameing, the card is stalled a lot, so 250 watts should be fine.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

This thread made me pregnant.

Linus is my fetish.

I imagine hearing a chorus of angels singing, and a blinding light emerging from the center when the doors open. Awesome work.

How are you going to deal with cables coming out of this thing? Will you have some cutout in the base or do something different?

17 hours ago, Bhav said:

This thread made me pregnant.

18 years...

17 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

I imagine hearing a chorus of angels singing, and a blinding light emerging from the center when the doors open. Awesome work.

Athangyou!

9 hours ago, CtW said:

How are you going to deal with cables coming out of this thing? Will you have some cutout in the base or do something different?

Here's a shot from below

tJ8fYPdh.png

• 4 weeks later...

14xkEs8h.png

Heat sinks are here!

tBYQnmwh.png

I ordered the 12" profile cut to my specified length. It arrived shiny, polished and perfect, with all the edges clean and straight. You can order them from heatsinkusa.com in a variety of profiles.

1uS8f4mh.png

Here we are lining up the GPU to one of the walls, just a rough-in fit for four of the heat pipes. It doesn't seem like enough, but my solidworks simulations show that it should work just fine.  Still, I am leaving space for six heat pipes in total (copper plates will be under the card).

3hRrbReh.png

In order to attach the frame to the Heatsink USA heat sink walls we'll need to tap the appropriate holes after lining everything up...

eWRosHqh.png

Now here we are completely tapped with mounting holes for the GPU as well.

ebVLdFkh.png

Repeat for the other wall, et voila:

FU1qFTBh.png

All attached. Here we are from another perspective:

40CRE2Ah.png

Whatcha think?

4 hours ago, nycesquire said:

I'm having them hard anodized black after all the holes are drilled and fitted :) 

Thinking ahead I see. I hate it when people get a perfectly anodised or painted part and then drill holes into it later.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

16 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

@nmil @nycesquire

So you guys hate me? ;)

I would, but then again you did do all the maths you were one of the first guys I know of to build a fully passive 500W rig, so I forgive you. But next time I might not be so lenient.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

@Prysin check this out..

This is pretty epic, nice job so far.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.