Does "Gamer Style" mean anything to you??

(Legitimate study for university research)

If you're here, you probably understand what "Gamer Design" is. Edgy, geometric designs, red and black, glossy plastic, RGB everywhere. Even in graphic form, video game-esque designs of fighters or aggressive combative figures. The MSI Hawk (fighter jet) Graphics Card. The ASUS 2015 Strix design with an Owl, or the GTX Hussar Design 2011. It could be claw marks on the box. It could be fancy smoke. It's probably cheap plastics with interesting shapes for form over function. Does any of this matter to you?? Does it sway your purchase? do you like that design language? would you care more/less if a different (perhaps plainer) design aesthetic was chosen instead?

Full Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1T-UBgy7UP5UZWLt_TtZm1DdJohFD3BZpbpw9BKlxPXg/viewform

Please complete, or share, or comment below for discussion.

Thank you.

I don't ever buy gaming branded products.

They're over priced most of the time (cough cough Razer) and usually quality is meh.

Plus I prefer clean/plain looking products anyway. 

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

wasted money

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

gamer style is a lot like a modified mid 2000s lambo it looks cool on a poster very angular distinctive design. But doesn't live up to the reputation that is built up and in real life it looks kind of cheap and plasticy. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Just now, Maybach123 said:

gamer style is a lot like a modified mid 2000s lambo it looks cool on a poster very angular distinctive design. But doesn't live up to the reputation that is built up and in real life it looks kind of cheap and plasticy. 

This is probably one of the best analogies I've heard for gaming branded hardware. 

where is the used option for where I bought it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

This is probably one of the best analogies I've heard for gaming branded hardware. 

I'd always seen gamer design like the Lamborghini posters of old.

5 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

where is the used option for where I bought it

On it!. Thank you!!

5 minutes ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

glad it made sense. It sounded good in my head but i was worried it would not make sense on a forum post.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Just now, Maybach123 said:

glad it made sense. It sounded good in my head but i was worried it would not make sense on a forum post.

Made perfect sense. It's a good product to put on a poster in a kids bedroom but it isn't actually practical and/or is merely an illusion. 

Cheap stuff that isn't good enough for professional use that is marked way higher than it should be. #BuyGeneric

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

no.

I don't care if my GPU looks like a potato, as long as it works well.

There isn't an option for best price-performance...

Often, computer parts are not sold through their packaging. They're sold through other media, usually not at the time of purchase. How did you learn about your particular purchase?

Own research...

I don't love the options here...

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

no. who is gonna game while staring at there graphics card or peripherals? pshh, no one. but I do like RGB in some cases though

If anything. Gamer branding/styling makes me avoid it. I need to look professional, and I want reliability instead of tacky plastic and a huge mark-up.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

2 minutes ago, Auxafly said:

no. who is gonna game while staring at there graphics card or peripherals? pshh, no one. but I do like RGB in some cases though

The "Gamer Branding" not only applies to the product's design itself, but the design of its packaging too.

Just now, mallenwho said:

The "Gamer Branding" not only applies to the product's design itself, but the design of its packaging too.

if the brand is reputable i would buy it not for the design of the box. but if you showed a teenager or a little kid boxes of a "non-gamer-ed" graphics card compared to a Asus strix they would probably choose the asus strix.

I don't base my decisions on packaging as I mostly perform research and order online. What I will say though is that the packaging can make for a nice unboxing experience. And I appreciate when the packaging includes useful accessories.

I try to avoid heavy gamer branding on my peripherals. As for my components, I care about price:performance and bought a windowless case.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

i usually end up buying 'gamer' products (mostly motherboards) cause the manufacturers lumped gaming crap on their extreme-overclocking boards to make them more marketable :P I have mostly rog boards for most platforms but don't play many games and disable most of the features

I like plainer stuff. Exactly why I kept my 15 year old case for my brand new gaming PC. Because it is simple

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

I don't like gamer designs, but I don't mind out of left field unique designs (i.e. Sennheiser HD 800) that don't make you look like a complete goofball.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

"because I like boxes" haha I love it 

But yeah, gamer designs are often too brutish to be good looking imo. The corsair strafe keyboard looks good, especially seeing as though you can have both looks (depending on whether the lights are on or not)

Nvidia's reference cards get the GPU design right to. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I love this, but it really isn't required to me.

########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
#######################

you have been visited by ascii stephen harper the pc builder

nothing bad will happen to you unless if you post "ignfdofsginedsoignoifdn" in this thread

why? because you'll be banned for spam

lol