Gigabyte vs G1 and Dedicated Phsyx

Sorkurie
Go to solution Solved by Sorkurie,

Thanks for the quick answers guys! Ended up getting the Zotac.

Currently running Gigabyte 770, debating on Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 or Zotac AMP Extreme. I believe Zotac has slightly higher base clock but is $20 more. 

Also, once I choose a card, would it be better to use the Single card and let it do all the work, or would I notice any benefits if I use my old 770 as a dedicated PhysX GPU? Thanks

You'd notice no difference in performance with the 770 as a PhysX card. Better to put it in another system or sell it. 

Both those cards are good. I'd just go for the G1 and save $20

Just use the 980 Ti for both. It's not worth the extra power draw for a handful of games that use it. While I did see a performance increase using my 660 Ti, I don't find it worth it unless you plan on largely playing games that utilize PhysX.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Julian2000nl said:

You will only have compatibility issues[.]

Please explain.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Don't use a Phys-X card, it'll probably decrease performance rather than give you more.

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

As far as i know some game engine's have trouble using multiple cards.

As the card would only be used for PhysX, I can't really see compatibility issues unless the game would have issues with Advanced PhysX.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

As the card would only be used for PhysX, I can't really see compatibility issues unless the game would have issues with Advanced PhysX.

What about choosing between the two cards? Zotac base clock is slightly higher than G1, but G1 is also $20 cheaper. I only play in 1080p since my screen does not output higher resolutions. Friend says might as well spend the extra $20 and get the Zotac. 

1 minute ago, Julian2000nl said:

Im not 100% sure about a PhysX only card but i know that some engine's have trouble mapping stuff through 2 GPU's

Are you thinking of SLI?

1 minute ago, Sorkurie said:

What about choosing between the two cards? Zotac base clock is slightly higher than G1, but G1 is also $20 cheaper. I only play in 1080p since my screen does not output higher resolutions. Friend says might as well spend the extra $20 and get the Zotac. 

Which style do you prefer more between the two cards? I mean really, you could overclock the G1 to a higher clock speed and save the $20. However, I do not know the experiences of customer support between the two companies as I've never dealt with them - so should you ever need to use their customer support, that's something else to bear in mind.

Well i know some game engine's are having trouble with 2 gpu's. So if SLI has it, i think external physx has it to since it's still mapping through 2 cards.

But i could be wrong.

Can you think of specific engines?

I know that source engine has trouble with it.

Do some Source games use PhysX?

9 minutes ago, Sorkurie said:

For 1080p, you certainly don't need a 980 ti. If you want to get one anyway, no use getting the more expensive one, even if it does have a slightly higher clock speed.

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Which style do you prefer more between the two cards? I mean really, you could overclock the G1 to a higher clock speed and save the $20. However, I do not know the experiences of customer support between the two companies as I've never dealt with them - so should you ever need to use their customer support, that's something else to bear in mind.

Most  likely I would not overclock card, never had much luck or experience in over clocking GPUs or CPUs. Most likely to keep it at clock speeds. And as I said before, monitor only has 1080p so I would not be running 4k. 

1 minute ago, JFischer00 said:

For 1080p, you certainly don't need a 980 ti. If you want to get one anyway, no use getting the more expensive one, even if it does have a slightly higher clock speed.

Although the user could utilize DSR.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Although the user could utilize DSR.

Yeah, I suppose.

Thanks for the quick answers guys! Ended up getting the Zotac.