Building my first computer...don't want to screw it up

1. Budget & Location

My budget is 1,100 dollars at the moment (however I have already bought the motherboard) and I live in AR, USA.

list that I have compiled (am willing to change out parts (and if needed maybe the motherboard)) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cmY2gs

2. Aim

It will mostly be used for gaming. My goal for now is to run Overwatch/League/osu!, but I will also be looking at other games in the meantime (don't really have a huge gaming library sorry)

3. Monitors

Since I won't have enough room for a desk, I plan on plugging it into our TV until I can find a desk/bed type of deal. 

4. Peripherals

I will be looking for a keyboard, but I plan on buying that outside of the budget for the computer. As for monitors, I won't really be looking into that at the time.

4 minutes ago, randommexican33 said:

3. Monitors

Since I won't have enough room for a desk, I plan on plugging it into our TV until I can find a desk/bed type of deal. 

be careful with this. Depending on the type of TV, you might experience super high latency. Might I suggest a gaming laptop instead?

4 minutes ago, mcfly said:

be careful with this. Depending on the type of TV, you might experience super high latency. Might I suggest a gaming laptop instead?

I have thought about buying a laptop instead-I feel like I would enjoy it since the only computers I've had are laptops that my friends have let me borrow to game with them. But I would also like a desktop since they can be upgraded when needed. I don't know if laptops can be upgraded as well.

1 minute ago, randommexican33 said:

I have thought about buying a laptop instead-I feel like I would enjoy it since the only computers I've had are laptops that my friends have let me borrow to game with them. But I would also like a desktop since they can be upgraded when needed. I don't know if laptops can be upgraded as well.

Build looks fine, and about the laptop upgrade, not really a lot you can do. On a laptop you can really only upgrade the wireless card, mass storage, and ram.

14 minutes ago, randommexican33 said:

1. Budget & Location

My budget is 1,100 dollars at the moment (however I have already bought the motherboard) and I live in AR, USA.

list that I have compiled (am willing to change out parts (and if needed maybe the motherboard)) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cmY2gs

2. Aim

It will mostly be used for gaming. My goal for now is to run Overwatch/League/osu!, but I will also be looking at other games in the meantime (don't really have a huge gaming library sorry)

3. Monitors

4. Peripherals

I will be looking for a keyboard, but I plan on buying that outside of the budget for the computer. As for monitors, I won't really be looking into that at the time.

About the TV, I just did my first build, it went great if you wanted to know (apart from a faulty hard drive). I bought an i7-6700k (ik such overkill, but I want the best) so didn't have much money to spend on a monitor, so I am using a small 23" TV that is like 5-6 years old, it has a column of pixels which can't display black, but it is fine as a temporary solution to me having no money.

If you need more help/suggestions, I'm happy to help.

11 minutes ago, randommexican33 said:

1. Budget & Location

2. Aim

3. Monitors

4. Peripherals

First of all, that gpu is over $100 off on amazon... http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Installed-Backplate-Graphics-04G-P4-3967-KR/dp/B012NOWERC/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458943926&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+960

Next thing, sacrifice 10GB off ssd space and save yourself $20 http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SV300S37A-240G/dp/B00A1ZTZNM/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458944001&sr=1-5&keywords=250gb+ssd

Also, this case would be better for a build for more expandability, without being overpriced http://www.amazon.com/BitFenix-Computer-Cases-BFC-NEO-100-KKWSB-RP-Black/dp/B00QUWTOLI/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458944239&sr=1-3&keywords=Bitfenix

One last thing you want to consider: I know you already bought the motherboard, but those amd chips are about to be outdated by the upcoming new Zen chips which leave the FX series behind. IF YOU CAN, return the MB and go towards the new Skylake processors or wait until the new Zen chips come out.

14 minutes ago, TGROBBO said:

About the TV, I just did my first build, it went great if you wanted to know (apart from a faulty hard drive). I bought an i7-6700k (ik such overkill, but I want the best) so didn't have much money to spend on a monitor, so I am using a small 23" TV that is like 5-6 years old, it has a column of pixels which can't display black, but it is fine as a temporary solution to me having no money.

If you need more help/suggestions, I'm happy to help.

That's good to know! The TV I'll be using I think is slightly bigger, but hopefully it shouldn't cause too many problems-haven't really noticed much difference other than the resolution when I was using the laptop hooked to the TV. 

17 minutes ago, OsuMasterz said:

First of all, that gpu is over $100 off on amazon... http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Installed-Backplate-Graphics-04G-P4-3967-KR/dp/B012NOWERC/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458943926&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+960

Next thing, sacrifice 10GB off ssd space and save yourself $20 http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SV300S37A-240G/dp/B00A1ZTZNM/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458944001&sr=1-5&keywords=250gb+ssd

Also, this case would be better for a build for more expandability, without being overpriced http://www.amazon.com/BitFenix-Computer-Cases-BFC-NEO-100-KKWSB-RP-Black/dp/B00QUWTOLI/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458944239&sr=1-3&keywords=Bitfenix

One last thing you want to consider: I know you already bought the motherboard, but those amd chips are about to be outdated by the upcoming new Zen chips which leave the FX series behind. IF YOU CAN, return the MB and go towards the new Skylake processors or wait until the new Zen chips come out.

Oh wow, that's awesome! Thanks for letting me know about the GPU and the SSD! And that case does seem nice, hopefully it will be in stock soon. And I will see if I can return the MB (I ordered it online at newegg so I don't think I will be able to) and look into that.

1 minute ago, randommexican33 said:

That's good to know! The TV I'll be using I think is slightly bigger, but hopefully it shouldn't cause too many problems-haven't really noticed much difference other than the resolution when I was using the laptop hooked to the TV. 

Try messing with some of the settings ('Game Mode') the TV has (should make it slightly better for gaming (duh)). Of course the response time isn't going to be great and playing on it (as i have found) will get slightly annoying (if all your friends has 24" 1ms 144hz 1080p monitors :/ )

55 minutes ago, randommexican33 said:

Oh wow, that's awesome! Thanks for letting me know about the GPU and the SSD! And that case does seem nice, hopefully it will be in stock soon. And I will see if I can return the MB (I ordered it online at newegg so I don't think I will be able to) and look into that.

That GPU he linked you is a 960 and you selected a 970 in your pcpartpicker.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

2 hours ago, OsuMasterz said:

Do you wanna know why it's $100 off?

Because it's a fricking GTX 960, not a GTX 970.

@randommexican33, I highly recommend you to return the motherboard and go for Intel at this budget.

Got a way better PSU - the NEX series aren't good:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.50 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.49 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.39 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.89 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($36.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1057.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-25 20:42 EDT-0400

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

On 3/25/2016 at 7:35 PM, Sentryy said:

That GPU he linked you is a 960 and you selected a 970 in your pcpartpicker.

Woops my bad xD Im getting computer glasses soon as most things on the PC strain my eyes out after long use, back to that 970!