75 Degrees on a Xeon 1231 v3.

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

stock cooler?

sounds like "running as intended" to me.

Is 75 degrees on a Xeon 1231 v3 fine? Just wondering :) Its probably safe but nothing is mentioned on the Intel Ark website. Thanks for your help :)

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.

Just now, manikyath said:

stock cooler?

Alright sick, on the intel website there is not "tcase/tjunction" for Xeon 1231 v3. and yes I'm running stock cooler. Thanks :)

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.

That's kind of hot, I'd remount the cooler if I were you. What cooler are you using anyway?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

stock cooler?

Xeon isn't that hot of a chip.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

stock cooler?

The stock coolers really only seem to work well on low end locked i5, and i3. Though if you could get an LGA775 Pentium 4 cooler mounted on a modern Xeon or i7 that'd be a different story. Those coolers are at least twice the thickness of current stock coolers, with the same copper core.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

That's kind of hot, I'd remount the cooler if I were you. What cooler are you using anyway?

thats basicly an i5/i7 (dont remember off the top of my head)

and they're designed to run at full capacity on a stock cooler, without touching thermal limits.

Just now, manikyath said:

thats basicly an i5/i7 (dont remember off the top of my head)

and they're designed to run at full capacity on a stock cooler, without touching thermal limits.

Which from experiences with my 4790K, is around 100oC (hitting that with a properly mounted AIO-FML).

PMSL

6 minutes ago, Dr_Curry_MONSTER said:

Alright sick, on the intel website there is not "tcase/tjunction" for Xeon 1231 v3. and yes I'm running stock cooler. Thanks :)

get a hyper 212 evo, the stock one sux

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

get a hyper 212 evo, the stock one sux

It does its job well enough though, and it cools the surrounding components (few motherboards aren't designed for downdraft coolers).

PMSL

1 hour ago, byalexandr said:

This Xeon is a re-branded i7-4770. It has four Hyperthreaded Haswell cores, and it'll run about as hot as you'd expect a Haswell or Skylake i7 to.

1 hour ago, Dr_Curry_MONSTER said:

Is 75 degrees on a Xeon 1231 v3 fine? Just wondering :) Its probably safe but nothing is mentioned on the Intel Ark website. Thanks for your help :)

What are you doing when you reach 75°C? As long as that's the temperature at load, then it's about what I'd expect from the stock cooler.

If you're seeing 75°C at idle, you have a problem.

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Which from experiences with my 4790K, is around 100oC (hitting that with a properly mounted AIO-FML).

A 4790k is a lot different animal from an E3-1231v3 though. The 4790k even at stock is pretty heavily overclocked to 4.2 GHz on all cores. An E3-1231v3 is binned for lower power consumption. My E3-1231v3 won't go past 81C on the stock cooler running Prime95 SmallFFT for hours, and it's never throttling according to CPU-Z, which shows a constant 3.6 GHz (the quadcore turbo).

2 hours ago, Dr_Curry_MONSTER said:

75C? On what kind of workloads? If you're doing lots of video compression or something that similarly stresses the hell out of your cpu, that's pretty normal, 75C at 100% load isn't bad at all. If you're talking 75C when gaming, that is awful for a 1231v3 on the stock cooler. I wonder what kind of voltage you're running at. Low 60s C is the max my E3-1231v3 will go on gaming.

11 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

75C? On what kind of workloads? If you're doing lots of video compression or something that similarly stresses the hell out of your cpu, that's pretty normal, 75C at 100% load isn't bad at all. If you're talking 75C when gaming, that is awful for a 1231v3 on the stock cooler. I wonder what kind of voltage you're running at. Low 60s C is the max my E3-1231v3 will go on gaming.

Yeah its on gaming with Stock, but the thing is it didn't consistently run at 75C it went up once and then dropped back down to 65 - 70 ish. Sometimes even lower then 65.