Samsung shows off SM961 and PM961 SSDs

DocSwag

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10168/samsung-shows-off-sm961-and-pm961-ssds-oem-drives-get-a-boost

At Samsung's annual SSD Forum Japan, the company has demonstrated two previously-unannounced high-performance client SSDs. The new SM961 and the PM961 drives are based on the company’s Polaris controller as well as V-NAND flash memory. Samsung promises that the SSDs will increase sequential read speeds to 3000 – 3200 MB/s and will also significantly boost random read and write performance. The drives are projected to ship inside PCs in the second half of the year, while it's anyone's guess if and when these will filter into retail (ala the 950 series).

The new OEM SSD lineups from Samsung will be the company’s first standard high-end SSDs for PC makers, which use 3D/V-NAND memory. The new drives rely on the all-new Polaris platform and will come in M.2-2280 form-factor with PCIe 3.0 x4 interface while utilizing the NVMe protocol. Right now, the company is not revealing too many details about its new SSDs. For example, it is unknown whether they rely on Samsung’s third-gen 48-layer V-NAND or its second-gen 32-layer V-NAND. While using newer memory for new SSDs is logical, so far Samsung has not confirmed anything.

The Samsung PM961 will be based on the company’s TLC V-NAND flash and the Polaris controller. The PM961 lineup will consist of four models: with 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB and 1 TB capacities (the PM951 also did not include a 1 TB model). The PM961 SSD supports sequential read speeds of up to 3000 MB/s as well as sequential write speeds of up to 1150 MB/s. Random read/write performance of the PM961 is up to 360K/280K of read/write IOPS, but Samsung does not specify exact models that offer such performance.

The PM961 should be more affordable than the SM961, but even with the use of TLC, according to Samsung's specifications it should be only slightly slower than the flagship model when it comes to sequential read speeds (6% difference is negligible). Sequential write speeds should be lower compared to those offered by the SM951 and the 950 Pro, but should still be considerably higher than sequential write speed of its direct predecessor, the PM951. Moreover, the new PM961 should also be considerably faster in random read and write operations versus its ancestors, according to specifications released by Samsung.

Samsung SSD Comparison
  SM961 PM961 950 Pro
512 GB
SM951-NVMe 512 GB (OEM) PM951-NVMe
512 GB (OEM)
850 Pro
512 GB
Form Factor M.2 2280 2.5" SATA
Controller Samsung Polaris Samsung UBX unknown Samsung MEX
Interface PCIe 3.0 x4 SATA III
Protocol NVMe AHCI
DRAM unknown 512 MB 512 MB 512 MB 512MB
NAND Samsung
MLC V-NAND
Samsung
TLC V-NAND
Samsung V-NAND 32-layer 128Gbit MLC Samsung 16nm 64Gbit MLC Samsung TLC NAND flash Samsung V-NAND 32-layer 86Gbit MLC
Sequential Read 3200 MB/s 3000 MB/s 2500 MB/s 2150 MB/s 1050 MB/s 550 MB/s
Sequential Write 1800 MB/s 1150 MB/s 1500 MB/s 1550 MB/s 560 MB/s 520 MB/s
4KB Random Read (QD32) 450K IOPS 360K IOPS 300K IOPS 300K IOPS 250K IOPS 100K IOPS
4KB Random Write (QD32) 400K IOPS 280K IOPS 110K IOPS 100K IOPS 144K IOPS 90K IOPS
Launch Date 2H 2016 October 2015 ~June 2015 2015 July 2014

Holy crap those are some pretty impressive sequential numbers as well as random read/write numbers! It's even better than the Intel 750 series. It will be interesting to see these drives once they are released.

EDIT: Seeing a lot of people talking about how the controller is called Polaris and everyone is getting confused and wondering if it has to do with AMD Polaris (I got confused too). I think that it is just their name for it and has nothing to do with AMD Polaris and it is just a big coincidence that they have the same name.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Polaris? Has something to do with AMD's architecture?

lel, this is what I thought. Kinda funny that everyone's jumped on the Polaris Name Branding Hype Train.

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Polaris? Has something to do with AMD's architecture?

Lol I was confused too.

I think it is just Samsung's name for it. Pretty funny though that they have the same name.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Polaris ey, got confused for a moment there :)

So, we may end up seeing even faster 960 PRO ?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Polaris is also known as the north star and is probably the single most important star in the night sky, for the people in the northern hemisphere in particular.  Not surprising that many projects are using its namesake as their guiding light.

Sweet. I can't wait for the 960 Pro M.2 SSD's. But honestly, the speed on the 950 Pro is high enough as it is. Now I'm more interested in affordability of these nvme drives.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

20 minutes ago, Notional said:

Sweet. I can't wait for the 960 Pro M.2 SSD's. But honestly, the speed on the 950 Pro is high enough as it is. Now I'm more interested in affordability of these nvme drives.

I'm more interested in their 1TB sizes.  If it can be around $500, it'd be a steal because of the speed and performance.  I'd probably just get that damn Skull Canyon Nuc, two of them for 2TB's overall and wait for Zen+ and Skylake-E.

3200 MB/s READS!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

13 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

These speeds.

xgSLWw0.png

Also

281.jpg

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

This would go great in a system with some Polaris GPUs

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

So I suppose they have solved the overheating issue on their new controllers...

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

K, now I have to buy one, thanks..............

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

At this rate of improvement of SSD, it won't take long to saturate the PCI3 3.0 x4 bandwidth.

6 hours ago, Agost said:

So I suppose they have solved the overheating issue on their new controllers...

That wasn't much of an issue, unless you did heaps of writing/reading. Peaking the drive for a minute will cause it would heat up quite a bit. But a minute of reading means 120GB+ worth.

When are you ever going to be doing that? And writing speeds will be limited to what's being written from.

So I really don't see any issues with the 950 Pro. 

8 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

That wasn't much of an issue, unless you did heaps of writing/reading. Peaking the drive for a minute will cause it would heat up quite a bit. But a minute of reading means 120GB+ worth.

When are you ever going to be doing that? And writing speeds will be limited to what's being written from.

So I really don't see any issues with the 950 Pro. 

The 950 pro gets quite hot even on light tasks... I have one.

They must have solved that issue, you can't achieve those numbers only by making the controller more powerful since it would be even more power hungry

49 minutes ago, Agost said:

The 950 pro gets quite hot even on light tasks... I have one.

They must have solved that issue, you can't achieve those numbers only by making the controller more powerful since it would be even more power hungry

What kind of temps do you see during normal use personally?

9 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

What kind of temps do you see during normal use personally?

Can't check the actual temperature... however after something quite light like a large program installation it got really hot to the touch, almost painful 

4 hours ago, Agost said:

Can't check the actual temperature... however after something quite light like a large program installation it got really hot to the touch, almost painful 

Understandable.

Since anywhere below throttling temperatures is considered 'safe' for them. So anywhere below 97C.