Drilling holes in CPUs.

Sentryy

Today i drilled holes in old Xeons and it was alot harder than expected. Is there an easier way to put a 2.4mm ball chain through them without going through the IHS? Because they are really tough to drill through, and Want as clean a hole as possible.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

1 minute ago, Sentryy said:

Today i drilled holes in old Xeons and it was alot harder than expected. Is there an easier way to put a 2.4mm ball chain through them without going through the IHS? Because they are really tough to drill through, and Want as clean a hole as possible.

Drilling holes into CPU's? *walks out bedroom*

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Want as clean a hole as possible.

We all do.

In any case, what kind of bit/drill are you using that you can't get through a thin piece of metal and some silicon?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Well...

can't say I honestly know the best way to drill a hole in a CPU... probably because this is the first time I have heard someone doing it xD 

3 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

why?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

We all do.

In any case, what kind of bit/drill are you using that you can't get through a thin piece of metal and some silicon?

Well, it is a titanium bit.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

Just now, Sentryy said:

Well, it is a titanium bit.

I'm going to assume titanium coated drill bit, are you not clamping them down onto a block of wood or something?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I did this with an old 5150 xeon. just make sure the drill is set to High speed, and go slow through it. if you use a fresh metal bit, you'll be fine.

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I'm going to assume titanium coated drill bit, are you not clamping them down onto a block of wood or something?

I was clamping them down to a wood bench.

These are the holes i got.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Snip

bnldHI2.jpg

Just now, Sentryy said:

I was clamping them down to a wood bench.

Sounds like your bit is dull either sharpen it up to make sure the cutting edges are nice and crisp. 

4 minutes ago, Codyman125 said:

I did this with an old 5150 xeon. just make sure the drill is set to High speed, and go slow through it. if you use a fresh metal bit, you'll be fine.

Okay, I am Using a similar CPUs Xeon 5150 (5160)

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Sounds like your bit is dull either sharpen it up to make sure the cutting edges are nice and crisp. 

Okay, I will go to the hardware store and get some new bits. I was Probably not using the right kind anyways :P

Just now, Sentryy said:

Okay, I will go to the hardware store and get some new bits. I was Probably not using the right kind anyways :P

Just to mention you might want to lower the size those drill bits, it look huge for the CPU if your using 2mm ball chain. 

6 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Drilling holes into CPU's? *walks out bedroom*

For your viewing displeasure, this is an old Xeon that I drilled a hole through - the CPU was functional beforehand.

Spoiler

IMAG0143.thumb.jpg.5d1c5590fc8d7dd724e48

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

For your viewing displeasure, this is an old Xeon that I drilled a hole through - the CPU was functional beforehand.

Reveal hidden contents

Lol i knew that i was just making a joke lol.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Just to mention you might want to lower the size those drill bits, it look huge for the CPU if your using 2mm ball chain. 

Okay, I will lower the size. Also they are 2.4mm

Just now, Sentryy said:

Okay, I will lower the size. Also they are 2.4mm

Yeah I would grab a couple 4 or 5mm metal drill bits. 

2 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Snip

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Reveal hidden contents

ALL of the ones i drilled holes into were FULLY functional 

You making a cpu keychain or something?

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yeah I would grab a couple 4 or 5mm metal drill bits. 

Okay, so what size would that be in inches? Fractions Preferably.

Its called "using the right tools"

and in this case the right tool is a drill press, not a hand drill

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Okay, so what size would that be in inches? Fractions Preferably.

Somethings like a 1/8" to 3/16" bit is good very approx to 3mm and 5mm sizes

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

Its called "using the right tools"

and in this case the right tool is a drill press, not a hand drill

I know that, But a drill press is too expensive for my budget.