Drilling holes in CPUs.

Sentryy
7 hours ago, xaaronx said:

Help keep them cool when OC'ing.

Yeah, I am going to use a cpu that i drilled a hole straight through the contacts on the back.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

Start with a small bit which will act as a pilot for the larger bit so it doesn't walk around so much.

Also be sure to clamp the CPU down somehow so it isn't moving around when you are drilling, holding it with your fingers isn't enough.

On the small pilot bit, run the drill at or near full speed. On the final sized bit run it a bit slower, and only put enough weight on the drill to slowly advance it, you don't want to hog right through the hole.

The IHS is copper, one of the more soft metals out there, even cheap black oxide bits should drill cleanly through it without a problem, carbide bits are probably going to work best. A bit of bur is unavoidable, but should easily clean up with a sharp knife.

45 minutes ago, Scheer said:

Start with a small bit which will act as a pilot for the larger bit so it doesn't walk around so much.

Also be sure to clamp the CPU down somehow so it isn't moving around when you are drilling, holding it with your fingers isn't enough.

On the small pilot bit, run the drill at or near full speed. On the final sized bit run it a bit slower, and only put enough weight on the drill to slowly advance it, you don't want to hog right through the hole.

The IHS is copper, one of the more soft metals out there, even cheap black oxide bits should drill cleanly through it without a problem, carbide bits are probably going to work best. A bit of bur is unavoidable, but should easily clean up with a sharp knife.

Thanks for this info! We used a C-Clamp to hold it down. I will use this information on the next run. We found that after drilling the IHS they got very hot to touch, so i couldn't see drilling with just holding it down with my hand

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

30 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

Thanks for this info! We used a C-Clamp to hold it down. I will use this information on the next run. We found that after drilling the IHS they got very hot to touch, so i couldn't see drilling with just holding it down with my hand

Yeah you are creating a lot a friction ehich will heat up the chip. A little bit a wd40 would help the drill go through the chip, and reduce wear on the drill bit. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

I just went to the hardware store, I got a drill press, hopefully this will work better. 

Well it worked much better, I am sure that is no surprise to most of you.

In my opinion they look great!

68I8OmE.jpg

91khCwn.jpg