How Hard To Drill Hole In CPU (Solved)

How hard would it be to drill a hole in an older 2006-2010 Xeon Cpu? I read a post on another forum that it was really hard to drill into a cpu, but that was a post from 2001

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

well, you get a drill, and you drill it, and its not hard at all...

clearly that kid had no idea how a drill works if he thought it was hard

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

17 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

How hard would it be to drill a hole in an older 2006-2010 Xeon Cpu? I read a post on another forum that it was really hard to drill into a cpu, but that was a post from 2001

Very easy if you clamp it down and use a drill press it can also be done with say a bar clamp and hand drill, the IHS is fairly thick but soft copper which would probbaly be the hardest part.

6 minutes ago, Sanderman135 said:

Could i ask why you want to drill through a cpu?

CPU keychain accessory, quite popular especially with dead or cheapy CPU's.

Just now, W-L said:

CPU keychain accessory, quite popular especially with dead or cheapy CPU's.

I never thought of that. That's actually a pretty cool idea. 

57 minutes ago, W-L said:

Very easy if you clamp it down and use a drill press it can also be done with say a bar clamp and hand drill, the IHS is fairly thick but soft copper which would probbaly be the hardest part.

A hand drill will work though? I don't have a drill press, I am pretty sure i have a bar clamp though.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

2 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

A hand drill will work though? I don't have a drill press, I am pretty sure i have a bar clamp though.

Yep it will work, just make sure you have the appropriate sized metal bit, and you may have to deburr the hole afterwards. 

10 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yep it will work, just make sure you have the appropriate sized metal bit, and you may have to deburr the hole afterwards. 

A little off topic, But what should i use if i want to put a 2.4mm ball chain through it? also where can i find a deburring tool

1 hour ago, Sanderman135 said:

I never thought of that. That's actually a pretty cool idea. 

Yeah i got 20 CPUS in the mail, I am going to make a kneclace with it though

8 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

A little off topic, But what should i use if i want to put a 2.4mm ball chain through it? also where can i find a deburring tool

Usually drilling the hole a bit bigger like 4mm would be good, for de-burring you can user a large bit to give it a slight chamfer around the edges just go over it very lightly or with a small tool like this:

Amana_AT124_lg.jpg

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Usually drilling the hole a bit bigger like 4mm would be good, for de-burring you can user a large bit to give it a slight chamfer around the edges just go over it very lightly or with a small tool like this:

Amana_AT124_lg.jpg

Can you direct me somewhere where i can learn how to use a larger bit to chamfer the edges? Or somewhere where i can get a tool like that, does that go into a drill?

You should make a crown. Then run around proclaiming yourself king of the internet.

Intel 5820K OC@4.7 / MSI Raider X99 / 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200mhz / x2 EVGA 980Ti Hybrid OC @1468 / Corsair Vengeance C70 (OD Green) / 2x Samsung 840 Evo in Raid 0 / Corsair RM1000x / Corsair H110i GTX  - Firestrike Score – 26156 (so far, lol)

3 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

Can you direct me somewhere where i can learn how to use a larger bit to chamfer the edges? Or somewhere where i can get a tool like that, does that go into a drill?

Yeah it would go into the drill  or either a multi-bit screw driver to do it by hand since you want to go slow and just taking off very little of the edge:

http://www.amazon.com/Eazypower-30072-Countersink-Shank-Pack/dp/B000BO9UEC/ref=pd_sim_469_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51698zvqLuL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0QS818N0JJRQENXGDW34

2 minutes ago, Lord-Anubis said:

You should make a crown. Then run around proclaiming yourself king of the internet.

I should. They are only dual core xeons though. 

Even better idea, Make crowns out of dual core xeons and sell for 600$

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yeah it would go into the drill  or either a multi-bit screw driver to do it by hand since you want to go slow and just taking off very little of the edge:

http://www.amazon.com/Eazypower-30072-Countersink-Shank-Pack/dp/B000BO9UEC/ref=pd_sim_469_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51698zvqLuL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0QS818N0JJRQENXGDW34

Thanks for the help! I know you don't get paid to do this and I really appreciate your help!