Over one Billion Android Devices Powered by Snapdragon chips at Risk

Over one Billion Android powered Phones at risk?!?

according to WCCFtech:

"If exploited, can give a hacker root access on the target Snapdragon-powered device. Thanks to this Snapdragon security vulnerability, more than a billion Android devices could be at risk as hackers only have to use a malicious app to gain root access."

http://wccftech.com/security-exploits-put-snapdragon-powered-devices-at-risk-of-hacking/ 

vulnerabilities affect devices running Android version earlier than 4.4.4 KitKat to 6.0.1 Marshmallow

since this is kernel level, google's monthly security patches will probably fix this up. 

BTW exploits that are in the kernel for a specific SoC don't "spread" to other SoC manufacturers

welp, time to go back to my iphone 4 !

good bye lgg4 !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Y'know there's rules for posting articles, and you need to properly format it.

sorry about that, I'll remember next time.

I'm one of the few people that still doesn't own a smart phone. Still rocking a Sony Ericsson W995.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

8 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Google has suggested that the Snapdragon security vulnerabilities affect devices running Android version earlier than 4.4.4 KitKat to 6.0.1 Marshmallow

Tell me when this is over. I'm gonna go back to Gingerbread or something.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Guess I'm lucky that I have a Zenfone 2 (Intel processor :P)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TrigrH said:

Android version earlier than 4.4.4 KitKat

Oh shit, I've read it wrong.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Good thing I'm on a 6s

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Not with the snapdragon 820 i hope.

?

i meant an iPhone 6s not a galaxy s6 xD

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

?

i meant an iPhone 6s not a galaxy s6 xD

Realized that even the Galaxy s6 doesn't have the snapdragon 820. that's the s7. 

Just now, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Realized that even the Galaxy s6 doesn't have the snapdragon 820. that's the s7. 

lol.. I didn't get on the hype train for the s6/7.. But I'm on the hype train for the note 6..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

so we good with helio X10?

This affects also the newest models like the 650 and the  820?

The site has changed....

Does this effect an HTC OneM8 running the Windows OS?

Why am I even asking? Nobody but me uses Windows phone.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

From my understand, it affects Android only. So like the few of us here with a phone powered by Windows, we are safe. At worst, safe by obscurity! Yes! :P

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

From my understand, it affects Android only. So like the few of us here with a phone powered by Windows, we are safe. At worst, safe by obscurity! Yes! :P

That's what Mac OS users used to think :P

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Considering you're running Windows I'm curious as to how safe you really are. :D:P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

23 hours ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Over one Billion Phones at risk?!?

according to WCCFtech:

http://wccftech.com/security-exploits-put-snapdragon-powered-devices-at-risk-of-hacking/ 

Please fix the thread name ASAP. You had me worrying for a second. Please add Android in the name of it somewhere so people know whether to worry or not.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

But the naming of the thread could have helped if it had "android" in the title but instead I worried for a few seconds.

21 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I DO. And this only affects android so Windows Mobile users are safe :)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Google has patched the vulnerabilities in its February security update. However, as we all know how long it takes the company’s partners to roll out the software updates, most of the devices are still at risk. The exploit affects 3.10 kernels btw.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.