She did it, my mom actually repaired her iMac

roboplex22

So this is the final act of my mom's iMac debacle. She literally just fixed it. For almost $200, she replaced her 8 year old iMac's power supply. I'm truly at a loss for words. I thought I might be able to get through to her. Just last night I managed to get her precious pictures off her external drive, and backed it up on my PC. The guy at the store even said the part was really expensive, and it might not be worth it to fix. Again, it's got 2gb of RAM, some old Core 2 Duo, and a mere 250gb of storage, 90% of which is already full. I'm sorry I'm ranting, but im a Scrooge. Price/performance is EVERYTHING in my eyes. But she's the one with the money, and "She likes her Mac". But again, I may have gotten a job out of it. I told the owner of the store that I'm working on my Cisco/MTA certs, and he offered me a summer job. So maybe it was worth it, but it still really pisses me off that she fixed it xD.

I just wanted to share this.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz | Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC MATE | GPU: MSI R9 270x | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury Red | Storage: ADATA SP600 128GB / WD Blue 1TB | PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ | Monitor: Acer S220HQL Abd 21.5" | Audio: Logitech Z213 Speakers | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma | PCPartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v8FNmG

*cough* status update *cough*

Well a new PC would have been at least double that, if not more, and the cost of a new iMac would be considerable higher

Price to performance is not important to everyone, so dont forget that

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

sentimental values bruh... all those 360 no scopes while you werent watching...

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

If it works for her and she's happy with it, why would she need to get rid of it?  You are raised in a throw-away society, she was not.  People used to take care of their things, get them fixed when they were broken.  It might not have been top of the line, but it still worked perfectly fine.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

1 minute ago, givegomezthegun said:

If it works for her and she's happy with it, why would she need to get rid of it?  You are raised in a throw-away society, she was not.  People used to take care of their things, get them fixed when they were broken.  It might not have been top of the line, but it still worked perfectly fine.

That's pretty much it. The Dell Dimension E520 we had for the past 8 years hasn't kicked the bucket yet but mum wanted a laptop. Portability is what she was after. 

That laptop will hopefully serve her (and rest of family of course) for the next 8 or so years hopefully. The Dell is slow as balls but for email and photos it was just fine. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

5 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That's pretty much it. The Dell Dimension E520 we had for the past 8 years hasn't kicked the bucket yet but mum wanted a laptop. Portability is what she was after. 

That laptop will hopefully serve her (and rest of family of course) for the next 8 or so years hopefully. The Dell is slow as balls but for email and photos it was just fine. 

that parrot is fucking annoying. iv seen that stupid parrot so many times today holy shit. enough ltt for today. fuck its still shaking its head ffs

5 minutes ago, ben dover kid said:

that parrot is fucking annoying. iv seen that stupid parrot so many times today holy shit. enough ltt for today. fuck its still shaking its head ffs

You're welcome

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

People get attached to old computers.  

My dad still uses our 11 year old dell lattitude d610 with a pentium m ( DOTHAN FTW).  It runs windows xp and is pretty slow,  but still works perfectly after being used almost daily (and was used as my dad's daily driver for 8 years). 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 hours ago, roboplex22 said:

So this is the final act of my mom's iMac debacle. She literally just fixed it. For almost $200, she replaced her 8 year old iMac's power supply. I'm truly at a loss for words. I thought I might be able to get through to her. Just last night I managed to get her precious pictures off her external drive, and backed it up on my PC. The guy at the store even said the part was really expensive, and it might not be worth it to fix. Again, it's got 2gb of RAM, some old Core 2 Duo, and a mere 250gb of storage, 90% of which is already full. I'm sorry I'm ranting, but im a Scrooge. Price/performance is EVERYTHING in my eyes. But she's the one with the money, and "She likes her Mac". But again, I may have gotten a job out of it. I told the owner of the store that I'm working on my Cisco/MTA certs, and he offered me a summer job. So maybe it was worth it, but it still really pisses me off that she fixed it xD.

I just wanted to share this.

Entry Level 2016 iMac:

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MK142LL/A&step=config

$1100 USD (Before taxes, shipping, or custom configuration)

If she spent $200 to replace a PSU in her iMac, and it's fast enough for her needs, then I really don't see the issue.

She could, of course, have bought a used iMac that was newer, but she wouldn't be getting any sort of reasonable warranty of a used product, so it would be just as much of a gamble as repairing her current one.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

She fixed her own computer by replacing the psu and you're being a c-note about it?  Dude, you have a bit of growing up to do.

Just be happy for her

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Thats something for me though. My mother doesn't even know what a harddrive is.

1 hour ago, Yoinkerman said:

She fixed her own computer by replacing the psu and you're being a c-note about it?  Dude, you have a bit of growing up to do.

Just be happy for her

I'm a little unclear as to whether she physically did the repairs herself, or whether she paid a tech $200 to fix it for her.

Either way, whether she paid the tech $200, or paid $200 in parts and did it herself, that's actually very reasonable, for that kind of repair in that sort of compact chassis.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm a little unclear as to whether she physically did the repairs herself, or whether she paid a tech $200 to fix it for her.

Either way, whether she paid the tech $200, or paid $200 in parts and did it herself, that's actually very reasonable, for that kind of repair in that sort of compact chassis.

Either way works imo.  Fixing stuff isn't cheap, either for labour or oem parts

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

12 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Either way works imo.  Fixing stuff isn't cheap, either for labour or oem parts

Especially a custom part like that PSU - we're not talking some off the shelf SFF PSU.

And labour is always expensive - anyone with a car who takes it to a mechanic knows that.

My mom can't even learn how to use a smartphone or tablet.

Linus is my fetish.