"Scientists Made a "Terminator" Polymer That Can Heal Itself Like Magic"

TopWargamer

http://gizmodo.com/scientists-made-a-terminator-polymer-that-can-heal-it-1314189102?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8NYRRz-jSxA

We might not be able to build a liquid metal T-1000 killing machine yet, but we just took a huge step towards building a plastic one. Scientists have managed to develop a new polymer that—when cut in half—can heal all by itself. Pretty awesome trick.

Developed by a team of Spanish scientists, the material is technically a "permanently cross-linked poly(urea-urethane) elastomeric network," but they just call it a "Terminator polymer" for short.

The science behind the scenes is a little complex and specific for the layman, but the results however, are easy to see. In just two hours of sitting around, the plastic can meld itself back together and recover 97 percent of a fully-severed connection. No catalyst required. This is definitely Terminator-esque, but the practical uses for something like this are a little less murder-y, like more durable plastic components in cars, gadgets, and whathaveyou.

This is some pretty stuff right here. Hopefully they can improve on the technology even more to actually make something like the metal that the T-1000 is made out of. But it can't be used to make robots, because that would be no bueno. 

COMIC SANS

when can i get this for my car parts?

QFT.

My cupholder broke and that piece of plastic is going to run me at least 50$

Error: 410

You can SEE the strain when they are trying to pull it apart, this polymer will have so many potential uses.

Things like this make my wonder why the British MOD called there new computer & satellite system "Skynet" did they not see the film?

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

When can I convert myself to this material?

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

isnt that the stuff you eat that looks like little cola bottles?

Character artist in the Games industry.

when can i get this for my car parts?

Those self-healing tires...

Save so much trouble with changing a tire on the highway (unless the tire gets completely FUBAR)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Save so much trouble with changing a tire on the highway (unless the tire gets completely FUBAR)

Imagine prosthetic limbs with this or combining this and oled displays :3

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Except they said it takes 2 hours to heal, might be quicker just to change it. :P

I remember seeing this a long time ago. Maybe not this exact product but very similar research being done to have wires and circuits cable of healing if damaged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfAOEt1eNFU

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.