CL9 VS CL11, Extra CL9 Price worth it?

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
6 minutes ago, Crafting said:

Heya

I saw one key difference, between the RAM I have, and the RAM available on the market.

The RAM I have is PC3-12800 or something like that, and I can't find any others who have that number, is the number irrelevant in my situation? Can I just mix PC3-12800 with PC3-xxxxx? or is there a small margin I have optionable?

-Crafting

PC3-12800 is just another way of labeling DDR3-1600mhz. DDR3-1600 refers to the speed the RAM runs at, whereas PC3-12800 refers to the actual transfer rate of 1600 RAM (1600*8=12800).

Hey guys.

So I wanted to upgrade to 16GB of ram (don't tell me why I don't need that much)

And i saw these 2 deals.

2x8GB CL11 DDR3 462 DKK 

2x8GB CL11 DDR3 538 DKK

The DKK is the currency in my country, and it's around 12$ difference in dollars.

My question is, is it worth the extra money for lower latency?

Both are 1600MHz

I can't buy the same RAM stick as i currently have, since it is not sold anymore.

-Crafting

Main Rig: CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 GPU: GTX 1070 MSI Armor OC RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz CASE: Cooler Master Storm Trooper SSD: Samsung 850 250GB HDD: 2TB Seagate Peripherals: Monitor: 27'' QHD 144Hz Acer XF270HUA Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Brown)

Not really worth the extra money for latency. 

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Just buy the CL11 kit and run it at CL9. 

easy peasy. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, Crafting said:

Hey guys.

So I wanted to upgrade to 16GB of ram (don't tell me why I don't need that much)

And i saw these 2 deals.

2x8GB CL11 DDR3 462 DKK 

2x8GB CL11 DDR3 538 DKK

The DKK is the currency in my country, and it's around 12$ difference in dollars.

Both are 1600MHz

I can't buy the same RAM stick as i currently have, since it is not sold anymore.

-Crafting

If you already have an 8gb stick, you can just add another one. Regardless of being the exact same or not, it'll work just fine. You can save some cash by doing that.

But to answer your question, no, not really.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Not worth it.

You wouldn't even notice if you bought the better kit, built your computer, used it for a month, and then I sneakily switched out your kit for the slowest DDR3 kit i could find. 

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

15 minutes ago, Goldensapling said:

Not really worth the extra money for latency. 

both run at CL11 no difference :P 

19 minutes ago, Crafting said:

Hey guys.

And i saw these 2 deals.

2x8GB CL11 DDR3 462 DKK 

2x8GB CL11 DDR3 538 DKK

Both are 1600MHz

-Crafting

no difference, get the cheapest

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

If you are going to be spending large amounts of time doing massively memory intensive operations - e.g. video encoding and such -  then yes the latency matters.

For all other mortals, not so much.

The chart on this page will tell you what the differences work out to be for every given RAM speed.  Yes, those differences are fractions of nanoseconds.  But given enough operations those nanoseconds can add up to real time differences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

20 hours ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

Not worth it.

You wouldn't even notice if you bought the better kit, built your computer, used it for a month, and then I sneakily switched out your kit for the slowest DDR3 kit i could find. 

You want to try? My eyes sees 144 FPS, and my calculating speed is faster than a Commodore!

Slightly whitty

-Crafting

Main Rig: CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 GPU: GTX 1070 MSI Armor OC RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz CASE: Cooler Master Storm Trooper SSD: Samsung 850 250GB HDD: 2TB Seagate Peripherals: Monitor: 27'' QHD 144Hz Acer XF270HUA Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Brown)

18 hours ago, ThomasD said:

If you are going to be spending large amounts of time doing massively memory intensive operations - e.g. video encoding and such -  then yes the latency matters.

For all other mortals, not so much.

The chart on this page will tell you what the differences work out to be for every given RAM speed.  Yes, those differences are fractions of nanoseconds.  But given enough operations those nanoseconds can add up to real time differences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

Ahh, thanks alot.

But the DDR4 Memory having latencies much higher than standard DDR3's is a bit weird, but I guess the increased standard frequency acoomodates for that.

-Crafting

4 minutes ago, Crafting said:

Ahh, thanks alot.

But the DDR4 Memory having latencies much higher than standard DDR3's is a bit weird, but I guess the increased standard frequency acoomodates for that.

-Crafting

Latency, in it's core, it's a difference in time, measured in seconds. However, the advertised "CL9" actually has no correlation to that. What it is actually measuring is the number of cycles, not the fisical time in s.

And why am I telling you that? Because there's one little difference between DDR4 and 3: the cycles are "faster" in 4 than in 3. This means that, while DDR4 seemingly has higher latency (so it takes longer to respond), the reality is that the actual time is around the same as DDR3, and sometimes even faster! In other words, actual latency is just as good, if not BETTER than DDR3!

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

20 hours ago, Imakuni said:

If you already have an 8gb stick, you can just add another one. Regardless of being the exact same or not, it'll work just fine. You can save some cash by doing that.

But to answer your question, no, not really.

Heya

I saw one key difference, between the RAM I have, and the RAM available on the market.

The RAM I have is PC3-12800 or something like that, and I can't find any others who have that number, is the number irrelevant in my situation? Can I just mix PC3-12800 with PC3-xxxxx? or is there a small margin I have optionable?

-Crafting

6 minutes ago, Crafting said:

Heya

-Crafting

PC3-12800 is just another way of labeling DDR3-1600mhz. DDR3-1600 refers to the speed the RAM runs at, whereas PC3-12800 refers to the actual transfer rate of 1600 RAM (1600*8=12800).