Moore's Law Back?

56d8983aafee2_6th_gen_intel_core_package

Intel is currently advancing the chip manufacturing process every two and a half years. It did so with its current 14-nanometer manufacturing process, and is expected to do so with its upcoming 10-nm process, Stacy Smith

But Intel hopes to end the half-year lapse at the upcoming 7-nm process, when it hopes to return to advancing chip manufacturing every two years, Smith said.

“We would like to be at two years, but we’re not,” Smith said. “We’re just watching 7-nm as being the potential time where there’s a technology shift that might allow us to get back to the two-year cadence.”

This is quite a nice thing to hear so with any luck Intel will return to the tick tock cycle.

For Intel, keeping up with Moore’s Law and two-year manufacturing advances is expensive. The chip maker in 2015 estimated it would need to spend US$270 billion over a 10-year period on manufacturing and development, up from an estimated $104 billion in 2011. The estimate includes the cost of wafers, manpower and tools like EUV.

I don't know about you guys but as for myself there's no way i would get a new CPU just for efficiency boosts, if they're going to be increasing their spending like this i'm going to want to see a serious performance boost that will make me want to upgrade from my 3770k.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3040381/computers/intel-eyes-a-path-to-get-back-in-line-with-moores-law.html

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

Murphy's Law is back.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

What really intrests me is this quote :

We’re just watching 7-nm as being the potential time where there’s a technology shift that might allow us to get back to the two-year cadence

I'm pretty sure they aren't saying this without anything to back it up. Maybe , hust maybe , they have tech in development that they are fairly confident will drastically improve the 7nm process development .

Could this mean intel really has something promising in the works ?

Idk , just going out on a limb.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

5 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

What really intrests me is this quote :

I'm pretty sure they aren't saying this without anything to back it up. Maybe , hust maybe , they have tech in development that they are fairly confident will drastically improve the 7nm process development .

Could this mean intel really has something promising in the works ?

Idk , just going out on a limb.

dosent sound too off, they are probably working on something awesome for 7nm

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Why do I feel this is a market-man talking and not an actual engenieer saying it's true thoughts on the subject.......

Just release the consumer AVX 512 already, and I'll be happy.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Why do I feel this is a market-man talking and not an actual engenieer saying it's true thoughts on the subject.......

Just release the consumer AVX 512 already, and I'll be happy.

The person didn't really say anything far out there. 

This is the first time I've heard about 7nm. Probs too far off for me to worry about it though. But hey, having moore's law back would be great. Actualy performance improvements instead of being more effecient. I would rather have more performance that a miniscule amount off of my energy bill.

The smartest idiot you will ever find

Last I heard, EUV was going to make 7nm a lot harder than 10nm, so that would suggest progress will slow down (further) rather than speed up.

Didn't they just finish saying it was really dead for super serious real this time like a few weeks ago?  gg intel :dry:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

From the wording, it doesn't seem like they mean silicon since they mention:

8 hours ago, Poofu said:

potential time where there’s a technology shift that might allow us to get back to the two-year cadence.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

From the wording, it doesn't seem like they mean silicon since they mention:

That 2-year cadence is for process node upgrades.