AMD Teases Standardized External GPU Solution To Bring Desktop Gaming Performance To Ultrathin Notebooks

Mr_Troll

AMD Teases Standardized External GPU Solution To Bring Desktop Gaming Performance To Ultrathin Notebooks

AMD is prepping a standardized solution to plugin desktop class graphics cards into laptops for a huge boost in gaming performance. This tease came via AMD’s Robert Hallock’s facebook page  and the solution promises to bring desktop class high-performance gaming experiences to ultra portable laptops via a simple plug and play solution.

AMD External GPU Solution

A Simple Plug And Play Solution To Convert A Portable Notebook To A Desktop Gaming Machine

Hallock is in no doubt correct when saying that there’s a huge appetite for an on-the-go desktop-class gaming machine that can replace your ordinary, mostly stationary, desktop. Whether it be for frequent LAN partiers or frequent travelers or even just casual gamers that want a portable and capable system; gaming notebooks have been the only go-to solution thus far.

A Simple Plug And Play Solution To Convert A Portable Notebook To A Desktop Gaming Machine

However it has always been the case that gaming laptops are both significantly more expensive than similar performing desktops and simply not as portable as ultrathin notebooks. Gaming notebooks have always been about compromise, whether it was at the expense of weight, cost, display panel quality, limited component choice or all of the above. This is where external GPU solutions come in where you can have your cake and eat it too

The issue with external GPU docks is that they’re in serious need of standardization. We’ve seen proprietary solutions like Alienware’s Amplifier and MSI’s Dock but they force you into a locked ecosystem where you have to pony up for an expensive external GPU setup that can only work with one set of hardware from one company. Simply changing your laptop to a different make means losing the entirety of an already expensive investment.

A standardized solution means that no such restriction exists. All you would need to do is plug it into your laptop and it’ll just work. All it would require is for laptop makers to simply implement compatibility into their products. And as with all technologies that have seen standardization, it will drive adoption up and cost down and simply create a more comprehensive and robust solution. Also just like a desktop, when you grow in need of more graphics performance you simply upgrade to a more powerful graphics card, install it into your dock and you’re ready to go again.

This also opens up whole new set of opportunities for flexibility by which you can simply have one external GPU dock and plug it into any one of your many systems whenever you need the extra graphics oomph, maybe even lend your dock to a friend. Certainly, the prospects are huge and extremely exciting for a small plug and play box that can convert a small ultrathin notebook to a desktop class 4K gaming monster and we really can’t wait to see it in action

We have seen external gpu dock for laptops for a while. But those are made specifcaly made for 1 couple types of notebooks. This would work with everything. Nice.

Source: Robert Hallock Facebook Page

http://wccftech.com/amd-teases-standardized-external-gpu-solution-for-notebooks/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

But we already have Intel tb3. Might not be as easily plug and play but it is a very versatile port especially when it's Piggybacking off the usb standard

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

Finally some open solution. Hope Nvidia doesn't stick with their NOPE policy.

1 minute ago, Qwertious said:

But with already have Intel tb3. Might not be as easily plug and play but it is a very versatile port especially whe. Piggybacking off the usb standard

Pretty sure it's some kind of implementation of thunderbolt with PnP bios and OS support on PCIe.

Hold on here..... 

razer-core-5.png

That one is from Razer ^

I think it's just an AMD GPU in a Razer dock......

Edit:  Linus even did a video on it:

Edited by Amazingasian

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

2 minutes ago, Amazingasian said:

Hold on here..... 

That one is from Razer ^

This. My first reaction was that this looked just like the Razer implementation and unless Razer was really making it universal I doubt it was actually a standard.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

It has the green USB and everything. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

yep thats definitely just the razer dock

why amd? 

GPU: GTX 980 Matrix            CPU: I5 4690k           Case: Cosair 750D         Motherboard: Maximus vii formula            Memory: 4x4 gb hyperx fury           Storage: samsung 840 evo 256gb     

10 minutes ago, Amazingasian said:

Hold on here..... 

That one is from Razer ^

That was my first thought too, but AMD could have been working on this with Razer. AMD has the know-how to make the technology for this and Razer has the market presence. 

I wonder if this could resurrect my old Dell Latitude E6410.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB @3600MHz CL16 | AMD Radeon 6800 XT Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 w/ Tempered Glass | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + ADATA SU800 2TB | Corsair HX1000iNoctua NH-D15 chromax.black

2 minutes ago, Riki the Legendary Heropon said:

I wonder if this could resurrect my old Dell Latitude E6410.

Remember that this still uses the laptop CPU so you'll have to watch out for potential bottlenecking.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

2 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

That was my first thought too, but AMD could have been working on this with Razer. AMD has the know-how to make the technology for this and Razer has the market presence. 

This would explain why razer is being so quiet about the release date of the core (name of their dock), they must be waiting for the standard to be finalized.  

4 minutes ago, Amazingasian said:

Remember that this still uses the laptop CPU so you'll have to watch out for potential bottlenecking.

Possibly, then again GPUs barely started being bottlenecked by the 2500k.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB @3600MHz CL16 | AMD Radeon 6800 XT Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 w/ Tempered Glass | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + ADATA SU800 2TB | Corsair HX1000iNoctua NH-D15 chromax.black

Just now, Riki the Legendary Heropon said:

Possibly, then again GPUs barely started being bottlenecked by the 2500k.

Nahhhh. For 2015-2016 open world games, even big mama can't help you xD

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

With Thunderbolt 3 I reckon we'll see only PCEx4 or x8 equivalent performance... so the bottleneck will be in the interface already...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

10 minutes ago, GidonsClaw said:

With Thunderbolt 3 I reckon we'll see only PCEx4 or x8 equivalent performance... so the bottleneck will be in the interface already...

4x PCIe 3.0 is only 32Gb/s. And we're actually not that close to saturating PCIe 3.0 8x anyway. TB3 is 40Gb/s. And in gaming the PCIe bus really is not the issue. In big-data compute it is, but that's a wholly separate beast.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Here's hoping for USB type-C.  Guess the thing to do is think about what chipsets laptops will be using in order to support this.  Will want it to have pretty much direct access to the PCIe bus, but then how would they address plug and play / ejecting the device?

So long as it happens anyways.  I want this.

It's good to see AMD taking the initiative and making stuff people actually want.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Be interesting to see which implementation of these external docks actually crack plug and play first. 

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

I love the idea of GPU docks

but I still would want like a 960m 970m inside my laptop too

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

8 hours ago, Amazingasian said:

Hold on here..... 

That one is from Razer ^

Edit:  Linus even did a video on it:

It even has the Green USB ports... now why would AMD use Green ports...

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Well the post never mentions they're working on their own product right now, it's more a "we're working on *the thing*" situation.

Not a moment too soon. I'd love to swap out my AW 15 for an an ultralight thing I can put in a small bag with a Type-C or a TB3.

The way i understand this is that there just adding eGPU capabilities to the driver, so it can act as PnP device via thunderbolt which AFAIK is the same thing Nvidia did like a month and a half ago on their driver, i don't see the need of creating such a standard when TB is already here and has been for a while and right now is mature enough to this without much effort, now if they are saying they are making their own version of TB and and pull a fresync so its free, then that's a whole different thing a good luck with it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here