I need some help from the EK people here...

Hello guys

I need some troubleshooting help from the EK-representatives on the forum here. (Or if someone has the same problem as I have, I kindly ask for your help too)

So my Xres DCC 100 elite pwm pump doesn't start on boot. The past 3 days I've opened my PC and slightly tapped on the pump area and it would start working. But this morning it wouldn't anymore..

My friend thinks it's because the pump is sucking power from the mobo header but idk...

So please help me because I don't want to be sitting here tapping my pump every day for an hour to get it to work ...

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

4 minutes ago, yannickverc said:

-snip-

What speed profile do you have on the pump? If the min speed is too low the pump won't start (Fans do this too if you have too little voltage or PWM signal on the low temp side of the fan curve).

If tapping on it gets it to work, then either your pumps going out or there is a small short somewhere.

Just now, scottyseng said:

What speed profile do you have on the pump? If the min speed is too low the pump won't start (Fans do this too if you have too little voltage or PWM signal on the low temp side of the fan curve).

According to my bios it's running full speed

Just now, Chronical93 said:

If tapping on it gets it to work, then either your pumps going out or there is a small short somewhere.

The first few boots it worked fine, but now it's getting worse 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Just now, Chronical93 said:

Sounds like you need a repair or a replacement.

sigh.. I'd rather send everything back than sitting here without a PC for weeks. I also dont have quick connect fittings so it would be an enormous pain in the butt to disconnect the pump..

6 minutes ago, yannickverc said:

According to my bios it's running full speed

The first few boots it worked fine, but now it's getting worse 

Hmm, is the BIOS fan curve set to PWM or voltage control? Well, either way it should still be running at full speed without issues. Any chance you have a fan to Molex connect to the pump to make extra sure it's not the speed control? Have you tried plugging it into a different fan port (Like system fan instead of CPU fan)?

Hmm, is the BIOS fan curve set to PWM or voltage control? Well, either way it should still be running at full speed without issues. Any chance you have a fan to Molex connect to the pump to make extra sure it's not the speed control? Have you tried plugging it into a different fan port (Like system fan instead of CPU fan)?

I had it set to PWM mode, but my friend suggested I change it to DC mode. (Which I did)

I can't see it being the speed controll because I have the min RPM on ignore in the BIOS.

I've had the 2pin thingy in 3 different fan headers now

Another thing to note you might have a sediment build up inside the pump on one of the switches. So if you take it out and clean everything it might work fine.

1 minute ago, yannickverc said:

-snip-

Yeah, your friend is right on changing it to DC mode, but either way it would still be running full speed (or should be).

Yeah, if you also have the fan profile to full speed on BIOS, min speed doesn't matter.

Hmm, so no 3pin fan to molex connectors on you? It would be nice to check the pump outside of the motherboard.

Has the pump always been like this since you bought it though? Or just in the past three days? The pump isn't being overloaded right (too many blocks, etc)?

Yeah, your friend is right on changing it to DC mode, but either way it would still be running full speed (or should be).

Yeah, if you also have the fan profile to full speed on BIOS, min speed doesn't matter.

Hmm, so no 3pin fan to molex connectors on you? It would be nice to check the pump outside of the motherboard.

Has the pump always been like this since you bought it though? Or just in the past three days? The pump isn't being overloaded right (too many blocks, etc)?

Dont have a fan header to molex nope :/

Well I've had the loop for about a week now and the first 2-3 boots were fine, but the last 3 days it started acting up

7 minutes ago, yannickverc said:

Dont have a fan header to molex nope :/

Well I've had the loop for about a week now and the first 2-3 boots were fine, but the last 3 days it started acting up

That is pretty bizarre. I'm out of ideas, sorry. I thought it would've been the fan curve being set up incorrectly, but you have it correct.

Yeah, if you were to put the pump on molex and it still acted up, then you know it was the pump...but man, RMAing that sounds like a pain.

I'm guessing normal case fans work fine on the same fan ports?

That is pretty bizarre. I'm out of ideas, sorry. I thought it would've been the fan curve being set up incorrectly, but you have it correct.

Yeah, if you were to put the pump on molex and it still acted up, then you know it was the pump...but man, RMAing that sounds like a pain.

Yea.. I'd rather just put on the air coolers back on and call it a day..

1 minute ago, EK Luc said:

So the "tapping on the pump" method stopped working now? 

I got it to work again now. But this isn't supposed to happen I think..

Is it possible this is caused by the molex I have connected it to? It's connected to something that looks like a pass-through molex. (Friend of mine said it's possible the pump only gets 6V instead of 12 this way)

picture:

Spoiler

huJdy3M.png

4 minutes ago, yannickverc said:

I got it to work again now. But this isn't supposed to happen I think..

Is it possible this is caused by the molex I have connected it to? It's connected to something that looks like a pass-through molex. (Friend of mine said it's possible the pump only gets 6V instead of 12 this way)

picture:

Reveal hidden contents

huJdy3M.png

It's possible....molex are kinda cheap connectors sometimes :(

Do you have a free molex connector available on your PSU?

1 minute ago, EK Luc said:

It's possible....molex are kinda cheap connectors sometimes :(

Do you have a free molex connector available on your PSU?

I should have yes

37 minutes ago, yannickverc said:

I should have yes

Cool.

Try it with the new molex and let me know.  Like you said it's not normal to have to tap on your pump to make it work ;)

Just now, EK Luc said:

Cool.

Try it with the new molex and let me know.  Like you said it's not normal to have to tap on your pump to make it work ;)

Will do. Might take a while if I dont have a molex in my cable box. But thanks for the help already :) 

18 hours ago, EK Luc said:

Cool.

Hello Luc.

I've connected the pump molex directly to my PSU this morning, but the problem is still there.

I had to disconnect the 24-pin again, do thhe paperclip trick and turn PSU on/off multiple times to get the pump running.

15 hours ago, yannickverc said:

Hello Luc.

I've connected the pump molex directly to my PSU this morning, but the problem is still there.

I had to disconnect the 24-pin again, do thhe paperclip trick and turn PSU on/off multiple times to get the pump running.

I think it's sadly the time to RMA the unit :(

Sorry about that :(

7 hours ago, EK Luc said:

I think it's sadly the time to RMA the unit :(

Sorry about that :(

Sigh... I've had a lot of problems already.. Can I Send back the whole loop for a refund? Really not looking forward to re-doing everything

6 hours ago, yannickverc said:

Sigh... I've had a lot of problems already.. Can I Send back the whole loop for a refund? Really not looking forward to re-doing everything

It's only your pump that is faulty the rest of your loop is fine.

If you RMA the pump, you will get a new one and will have your loop set in no time.  You don't need to dismantle everything.

1 hour ago, EK Luc said:

If you RMA the pump, you will get a new one and will have your loop set in no time.  You don't need to dismantle everything.

I agree with Luc.  Don't chuck away a perfectly good water loop because a faulty part.  If EK can cross-ship an RMA unit for you, that's even better.  That way you can leave the current pump in place until the replacement arrives, do the swap quickly, and then box the dead one up in the same packaging the new one arrived in and send it back.  If EK operates like most any other company, they'll just put a hold on your credit card for the amount of the pump, and then release it when the receive yours back.

Patience, glasshoppa.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Go with the Vario unit instead of the PWM. 

I set my Vario and leave it. No issues whatsoever.