Need advice/help on my first build

KenKhaoz

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I've helped a few friends put some of their hardware together but never did my own build. Would like to run a build by you guys that a coworker came up with for me but I still get mixed opinions by other friends. I'm open to any suggestions/changes to this. Some explanation/info into the gear would be nice for better understanding. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 13 36.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Intel DZ68BC ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  ($132.53 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($79.98 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($50.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive  ($12.89 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($14.48 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $689.81

My budget was a bit more open but on average what I have seen/been told is that a good price range that I'm willing to go with is $1000 to $1500 USD.

I will use my PC for gaming on high/ultra, and watching videos in high resolution 1080 at 60 fps and higher if possible. As well as works/projects for college.

I would like to run 2-3 monitors. I connect my laptops to my TV so I can multitask ( screen on one is broken).

I have a good mouse(IMO) and wireless keyboard but open to suggestions.

I'm looking to upgrade since out of the two laptops I have the "newest" one is about 5+ years old (get like 12fps on a great deal of games that are not 8 bit) and would like to game comfortably and smoothly. 

Now that I'm out of the military I'll have more time for finishing school and play new games by joining the master race. I know a few things about computers but pretty much just the basics. I keep hearing about Cherry Switches,SLI, and using liquid nitrogen as a coolant and get lost. To overclock or not, I don't know. Greatly appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

you wont be gaming on anything without a GPU if your on a tight budget add the gtx 750ti 4gb edition its like $100 new

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Why such old hardware? And no GPU?

I asked since I heard of Sandy Bridge a few years ago and the lounge at work got into a heated debate on it. And I was told that graphics would be up to me but that's a whole area I'm not well informed on since that also caused another discussion with little results.

So what are some things you guys would change? 

Some explanation with the recommendations would be awesome as well.

1 minute ago, KenKhaoz said:

I asked since I heard of Sandy Bridge a few years ago and the lounge at work got into a heated debate on it. And I was told that graphics would be up to me but that's a whole area I'm not well informed on since that also caused another discussion with little results.

You want 2 Monitors and a PC under $1500, right? Any specific color combination you would like?

I will give you a PC part picker link with all the right stuff.

Also, Sandy Bridge is quite old Skylake is the thing now.

Hardcore Hardware Whore | Check out my Blog for for Latest Tech News and more | Cricket Fan | Weapons Nut | 

2 minutes ago, KenKhaoz said:

just buy new stuff! get skylake cpu get a gtx 900 series gpu ect. dont bother with old stuff

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Just now, abhigyan001 said:

You want 2 Monitors and a PC under $1500, right? Any specific color combination you would like?

I will give you a PC part picker link with all the right stuff.

Also, Sandy Bridge is quite old Skylake is the thing now.

Skylake is another term that was being thrown around too. So that's another generation of CPU? 

Yeah I mean I can forgo monitors right now and use my TV if it means a better overall pc with great performance for it's cost. 

As for color I'm big on Green (Dragonzord all the way) and black hahaha

16 minutes ago, KenKhaoz said:

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I've helped a few friends put some of their hardware together but never did my own build. Would like to run a build by you guys that a coworker came up with for me but I still get mixed opinions by other friends. I'm open to any suggestions/changes to this. Some explanation/info into the gear would be nice for better understanding. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 13 36.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Intel DZ68BC ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  ($132.53 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($79.98 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($50.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive  ($12.89 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($14.48 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $689.81

My budget was a bit more open but on average what I have seen/been told is that a good price range that I'm willing to go with is $1000 to $1500 USD.

I will use my PC for gaming on high/ultra, and watching videos in high resolution 1080 at 60 fps and higher if possible. As well as works/projects for college.

I would like to run 2-3 monitors. I connect my laptops to my TV so I can multitask ( screen on one is broken).

I have a good mouse(IMO) and wireless keyboard but open to suggestions.

I'm looking to upgrade since out of the two laptops I have the "newest" one is about 5+ years old (get like 12fps on a great deal of games that are not 8 bit) and would like to game comfortably and smoothly. 

Now that I'm out of the military I'll have more time for finishing school and play new games by joining the master race. I know a few things about computers but pretty much just the basics. I keep hearing about Cherry Switches,SLI, and using liquid nitrogen as a coolant and get lost. To overclock or not, I don't know. Greatly appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/TgKcdC

there you go mate

thats what you need :)

you could always go and swap the 970 for a 980

Skylake is another term that was being thrown around too. So that's another generation of CPU? 

Yeah I mean I can forgo monitors right now and use my TV if it means a better overall pc with great performance for it's cost. 

i think you need to do some more reaserch to be honest get clued up on latest tech and hardware before buying a pc dont go in blind when buying a pc thats going to cost you some serious cash.

so go learn about the latest cpu generations and chipsets for that generation and learn about current GPU's ect its all on google you will be better for it as you will have a better knowlage and wont require so much help in the future

6 minutes ago, KenKhaoz said:

Yes, Skylake is the latest generation of Intel CPUs now.

I am currently working on setting your PC with Green and Black. Wait 5 more mins.

Hardcore Hardware Whore | Check out my Blog for for Latest Tech News and more | Cricket Fan | Weapons Nut | 

Thanks, I will/doing it as I go. 

Been watching Linus and Luke on Youtube and other PC streamers to learn a bit more but they have varying opinions hence me deciding to come here since I'm sure you guys can lead me down the right path, haha.

What are the pros and cons of running multiple graphics cards?

o and for monitors just buy 2 of the same monitor for exampel i just brought 2 acer monitors cost me £100 each 27inch 1080p dont worry about anything else just get size monitor you want with 1080p

1 minute ago, KenKhaoz said:

Thanks, I will/doing it as I go. 

Been watching Linus and Luke on Youtube and other PC streamers to learn a bit more but they have varying opinions hence me deciding to come here since I'm sure you guys can lead me down the right path, haha.

What are the pros and cons of running multiple graphics cards?

dont bother with multiple GPUs simple,  most games cant take advatage of it and it just a waiste of money just get a high spec card over buying 2 of a lower spec

Just now, Ykno said:

o and for monitors just buy 2 of the same monitor for exampel i just brought 2 acer monitors cost me £100 each 27inch 1080p dont worry about anything else just get size monitor you want with 1080p

Would refresh rates be an important factor? And fan boyism aside, what are some good brands to buy gear from? One friends I helped a while back has an awesome MSI motherboard but there was an Asus model that's in a few vids Linus and friends used often.

Edited by KenKhaoz
Grammar

3 minutes ago, KenKhaoz said:

Would refresh rates be an important factor? And fan boyism aside, what are some good brands to buy gear from? One friends I helped a while back has an awesome MSI motherboard but there was an Asus model that one a few vids Linus and friends used often.

buy which ever brand as there all good or they wouldnt survive simple if you look at my signiture below my post you can see my pc list and see the mis match of brands there all good main 4 tho are MSI, ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte anythign from them you will be fine and kingston/hyper x for RAM as kingston are solid and never have compatability issues

refrash rate on monitor is pointless to look at as long as its 60Hz because your not a pro gamer you wont no diffrence or require high refresh rate so save money there as high refresh rate is more expensive (all monitors will be 60 or above)

I was also told that once I have a build set to wait a bit since new gear is being released soon supposedly.

I was also told that once I have a build set to wait a bit since new gear is being released soon supposedly.

new gear is released all the time just buy whats avalible now and 2-4 years down line when you upgrade buy whats avalible then. thats only way to do it or you will for ever waiting for new stuff to come out before buying something

Very well, yeah I've already been putting this new pc off for a while now.

Check out BenQ EW2440L 24" Monitor, 

it has a Bezel less design and would work great for Multi Monitor setups. 

Although not sure but I guess they also have 27" in that variant

4 minutes ago, abhigyan001 said:

Check out BenQ EW2440L 24" Monitor, 

it has a Bezel less design and would work great for Multi Monitor setups. 

Although not sure but I guess they also have 27" in that variant

Bezel less design ( it still has a 1cm boarder around the screen just not a plastic bezel so it makes no diffrence )

plus i guess he will be using one monitor for games and the other for videos or websites (that how i use my multi monitor setup)