Xiaomi announces Mi5, and its awesome! - MWC 2016

Xiaomi announces Mi5 at MWC 2016. It packs powerful specs and comes in 3 variants. (only difference is storage and CPU clock speed).

Look wise, it's beautiful to look at. Elegant and curvy design at the back.

The mobile comes in two editions, The Mi 5 Pro (highend top of the line) with 3D Ceramic Body and Mi 5 (Standard one) with Glass back.

Below the screen there is a physical home button, which is also a fingerprint reader.

Instead of using eMMC, the Xiaomi Mi 5 can be picked up with up to 128GB of UFS 2.0 memory, which promises significant increases of 80% and more over eMMC 5.0 (think what Samsung did with the Galaxy S6). The Snapdragon 820 chip also supports Quick Charge 3.0.

The onboard 4G+ or 4G Advanced is capable of theoretical Cat.12 LTE speeds of up to 600 Mbps. VoLTE is also included. NFC is now also smarter with card virtualization and write mode.

The camera setup on the Xiaomi Mi5 is also very impressive at 16MP with an aperture of f/2.0 and 4-axis optical image stabilization, which is a brand new technology as well. The sensor itself is the Sony IMX 298, which comes with phase detection auto focus and deep trench isolation technology.

Specifications:

• 5.15" Full HD 1080p IPS display. Ultra thin bezels.
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 CPU (Dual-core 1.8 GHz & dual-core 1.6 GHz - Standard edition, Dual-core 2.15 GHz & dual-core 1.6 GHz - other editions) - Adreno 530 GPU.
  • Storage - 32GB/64GB with 3GB RAM and 128GB with 4GB RAM. No MicroSD slot.
  • Android OS, v6.0 (Marshmallow) with MIUI 7.0 on top of it.
  • 16MP SONY IMX298 rear facing camera with dual tone LED flash and OIS. 4k Video recording.
  • 4MP front facing camera, capable of 1080p @ 30fps.
  • WiFi 802.11 ac with Bluetooth 4.2.
  • 7.25mm thickness.
  • 3000 mAh battery.
  • USB Type C Connector.

Product Images:

xiaomi_2016-Feb-24_1.0.png

xiaomi_2016-Feb-24.0.png

xiaomi_2016-Feb-24_2.0.png

8345c393jw1f1aeqndu59j21hc0u0gtk-1.jpg

Camera Samples

Spoiler

Xiaomi-Mi-5-official-camera-samples-09.j

Xiaomi-Mi-5-official-camera-samples-07.j

Xiaomi-Mi-5-official-camera-samples-06.j

Xiaomi-Mi-5-official-camera-samples-05.j

Xiaomi-Mi-5-official-camera-samples-04.j

Xiaomi-Mi-5-official-camera-samples-03.j

Xiaomi-Mi-5-official-camera-samples-02.j

Xiaomi-Mi-5-official-camera-samples-01.j

Xiaomi-Mi-5-official-camera-samples-11.j

Xiaomi-Mi-5-official-camera-samples-10.j

Xiaomi-Mi-5-official-camera-samples-08.j

Promo Video:

Xiaomi Mi 5 - OIS "Shake it off" test.

Hands on Video - The Verge:

Pricing & Availability: The phone will be available starting on March 1st and will be priced at $354 for the high-end 128GB model and $262 for the entry-level 32GB version. The Mi 5 will come in black, white, and gold color options. It will come to China first, followed by India and other markets Xiaomi sells its devices in.

Source: The Verge, Engadget, Android Headlines (Camera Samples).

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Very good looks, specs and price.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

like the price, but no micro SD or removable battery makes the redmi note 2 still the better device compare to this

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I just hope that Xiaomi releases the kernel sources for the Mi5. >.<

I've had the Redmi 2 (nice budget all-rounder! :D) and the Mi Pad (nice for gaming but horrible memory management). They're really nice for the price but I can't fiddle them that much because there are no custom kernels around (because there are no kernel sources).

Xeon - i5 - Exynos

KIRIRIN-PC

| CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 0 - 8 Cores/16 Threads @ 2.60GHz (up to 3.30GHz) | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S (1x Noctua NF-A15 140mm PWM Fan - Push) | GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming Z (2012MHz@0.962V / 1797MHz@0.875V) | RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Panram Light Sword DDR3-1600MHz CL9 | Motherboard: Alienware Aurora R4 ALX 07JNH0 (X79 LGA2011) | SSD: Transcend SSD370 256GB SATA-III | HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB 7200rpm SATA-III | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Mid Tower | Case Fans: (Front Intake) 2x Deepcool XFAN 120mm, (Rear Exhaust) 1x Deepcool Ice Blade 120mm, (Top Exhaust) 2x Deepcool XFAN 120mm, (Side Intake) 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro LED (White) 120mm  | PSU: Seasonic G-650 650W 80+ Gold Semi Modular | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

A Dell

| Model: Dell Inspiron 3443 | CPU: Intel Core i5-5200U - 2 Cores/4 Threads @ 2.20GHz (up to 2.70GHz) | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500 + NVIDIA GeForce 820M | RAM: 1x Kingston 8GB DDR3L-1600MHz SODIMM | HDD: Western Digital Blue 500GB 5400rpm | OS: Windows 10 Home |

Sammy

| Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7 | Model: SM-G930FD | Color: Gold Platinum | CPU: Samsung Exynos 8890 - 4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz (up to 2.6GHz) + 4x ARM Cortex A53 @ 1.6GHz | GPU: ARM Mali-T880MP12 @ 650MHz | RAM: 4GB LPDDR4 @ 1794MHz | ROM: 32GB UFS 2.0 | Main Camera: 12MP Sony Exmor RS IMX260 | OS: Android 7.0 Nougat | Kernel: Stock | Bootloader: Locked |

Yes go buy it people, let the Chinese government steal all your personal information.

I have three misgivings on an otherwise interesting phone and overall great buy. 

1: security. Is it secure? Chinese snooping? Fingerprint data not protected? 

2: software. How good is the software? Will it be updated properly? 

3: how's the camera? While it looks like they did some interesting things, at the same time the sensor looks decent but not anywhere near the competition. 

4 hours ago, sunnytse1 said:

Yes go buy it people, let the Chinese government steal all your personal information.

i'd rather have the chinese get my data than the americans 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, tsk said:

Had it not been for the horrible software(MIUI) on this phone I would have bought it.

That's why Custom ROMs are there :)

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

4 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I have three misgivings on an otherwise interesting phone and overall great buy. 

1: security. Is it secure? Chinese snooping? Fingerprint data not protected? 

2: software. How good is the software? Will it be updated properly? 

3: how's the camera? While it looks like they did some interesting things, at the same time the sensor looks decent but not anywhere near the competition. 

1. don't know. But they're like Samsung, but not popular. Trustable brand IMO.

2. Mi mobile phones are known for continuous s/w updates. It's UI is little bit different. No launcher. Home screen holds all the apps. But animations are smooth. But I don't like the UI.

3. Should be good, due to the sensor used. 

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

i'd rather have the chinese get my data than the americans 

lol

Incoming Samsung lawsuit

But does it have US LTE bands? If not, then not interested. Great phone for the price though. 

COMIC SANS

The body looks purtty. The only thing off to me is the camera placement. It looks too close to the corner idk why lol xD

But besides that, ehh

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

4 minutes ago, TopWargamer said:

But does it have US LTE bands? If not, then not interested. Great phone for the price though. 

Not sure, Check here http://xiaomi-mi.com/mi-5/xiaomi-mi-5-ceramic-exclusive-edition-4gb128gb-dual-sim-black/

First of all the phone looks pretty nice, especially the white version. The only problem I have with it is that it kinda looks like the child of a 6S and an S6/7, which isn't necessarily a complaint since those 2 are nice phones, as is the Mi5.

As far as specs go, it looks pretty nice. I'm not sure how hot the 820 gets (see G5 and S7 observation from AnandTech), but I'm sure it won't be a huge issue (like the 810 was). The only thing that looks weird to me is the camera quality, at least the video. If you look at the OIS video you can clearly see that, while the OIS is doing a solid job, the picture looks unnatural, at least to me.

Overall, nice looking phone, pretty UI - not sure how fluid it is though - and great specs for the price.

looks like a great phone (imo maybe even perfect), hopefully it supports T-Mobiles network and custom ROM's

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

14 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Incoming Samsung lawsuit

O_o why? Design? Did you know they were the FIRST to have that 2.5/3d Glass back with the Mi Note. ._.

In other news its nothing surprising. But alot of people have called into account how their practice is pretty unsustainable in the long run and how its begining to show in their home country of China.

3 hours ago, Ex14 said:

O_o why? Design? Did you know they were the FIRST to have that 2.5/3d Glass back with the Mi Note. ._.

In other news its nothing surprising. But alot of people have called into account how their practice is pretty unsustainable in the long run and how its begining to show in their home country of China.

Doesn't matter. It resembles a Galaxy phone way too much.

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Doesn't matter. It resembles a Galaxy phone way too much.

Then shouldn;t it be the Galaxy phone resembles it? :/ not the other way around.

34 minutes ago, Ex14 said:

Then shouldn;t it be the Galaxy phone resembles it? :/ not the other way around.

Do you not know who Samsung is and what they do

Just now, Kloaked said:

Do you not know who Samsung is and what they do

They don;t go suing companies left and right for design. The only time i rmbed them doing that is when apple sued them for that shit and they had a counter sue about some other wierd thing ...