Only 37% of US retailers can process chip-embedded cards

AresKrieger

This week a management consulting company called The Strawhecker Group (TSG) released the results of a study that found that only 37 percent of US retailers were ready to process chip-embedded credit and debit cards. The slow adoption of chip-embedded cards leaves merchants open to accepting liability for fraud perpetrated with traditional, less-secure magnetic stripe cards.

Screen-Shot-2016-02-21-at-10.39.09-AM.pn

The US officially migrated over to the so-called EMV standard (eponymous for Europay, Mastercard, and Visa, the companies that developed the standard) in October 2015, and at that late date, it was one of the last countries to make the shift.

Yeah upgrading standards in the US has always been like pulling teeth, hopefully they can speed it up, but based on the projection of the surveyors compared to the goals set for the change we may have more years of fraud to come. Though it would be nice if they actually sped this up due to the amount of stolen credit information in the US, but I wonder how this works in regards to online shopping since the chips can't be read in those instances, and online shopping does result in piles of stolen information. Though at least stores will be held reliable when they lose customer info, it's a start.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/02/only-37-of-retailers-in-the-us-can-process-chip-embedded-cards-survey-says/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

so, you know that magnetic strip on a credit card?

we dont have readers for those anymore. we just have those for retarded countries like the USA. and thats not saying belgium is modern in any sense of the word, because everyone in power here is convinced that the internet is something bad all together.

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

snip

Yeah I'm aware they don't have it anymore in many European countries, it's not secure to use anymore, but in the US updating things like this is slow due to lobbying, the sheer size (both land area and population) of the country, and the way our government is designed to be restrained (aka inefficient) , hopefully they actually push this more since fraud is so common.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I couldn't believe when I heard that america still didn't have debit cards with the chip. I remember being 14 and had my first card with the chip...

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Even some developing third world countries have already fully switched to using chip on credit/debit cards. GG America

35 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Yeah I'm away they don't have it anymore in many European countries, it's not secure to use anymore, but in the US updating things like this is slow due to lobbying, the sheer size (both land area and population) of the country, and the way our government is designed to be restrained (aka inefficient) , hopefully they actually push this more since fraud is so common.

why does the government have to push it? it should be the banks that lose money to fraud that decide to stop losing more money.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

This is just so laughable. And if I'm not wrong, Americans still does not have to have a PIN?

I've never had a debit card without chip, and most cards today have a NFC chip for quick smaller purchases. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

7 minutes ago, Suicidal Korean said:

why does the government have to push it? it should be the banks that lose money to fraud that decide to stop losing more money.

Bank's don't lose money due to fraud, they are fully insured. 

4 minutes ago, Cole5 said:

Bank's don't lose money due to fraud, they are fully insured. 

forgot about that. well that is giving a reason for banks to not want to switch. it cost money to switch its free to stay insecure and let the Gov. bail them out.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I own a chip card myself and I do wish that retailers would have more chip readers. As of now I mostly use cash since it's easier for me to use though.

Lol America, I've been complaining about their inferior banking system forever.  When I went there for the first time about half the places still used a credit card impression machine.  In like 2004.  While back home in Canada we were on swipe + pin.  Chips didn't exist yet.

They weren't even on swipe!

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

can 't imagine the a mount of time it will take for the US to also jump on the NFC enabled cards band-wagon

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

A Professor of Security Engineering at the Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge explained that crooks can still commit fraud with the chips on cards.

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

2 hours ago, aerandir92 said:

This is just so laughable. And if I'm not wrong, Americans still does not have to have a PIN?

I've never had a debit card without chip, and most cards today have a NFC chip for quick smaller purchases. 

No, we had PIN#s for years (at least at my banks). But you can just pay by credit and not need to enter it >_>....secure.

-----

This whole post is people from out of the US calling US banks outdated (def true) and act like if they came to the US their money will be stolen if they used a card lol. Thief does happen but not THAT easily.

When I lived abroad I immediately liked and got use to the idea of chips over strips.

But now that the US starting using chips we're in that weird limbo where some places accept them and others don't. At first I would get annoyed when they said I can't swipe and have to insert my chip (because 9/10 the cashier didn't know how to initiate it). But now I get annoyed when I do attempt to insert my chip and they tell me they don't accept it (even if the machine has a chip reader)!

Oh and I still never found a place to use Android pay. Attempted it in NY but it wouldn't complete. Walgreen accepts it but I don't want to look like that fool trying to be fancy with his phone lol

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

3 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

No, we had PIN#s for years (at least at my banks). But you can just pay by credit and not need to enter it >_>....secure.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I read something about them being afraid of forcing it upon users, so it stays optional and thereby useless. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

By chip reader do you mean when you put the card into the machine and enter your pin or tap where you don't even have to enter your pin? In Canada I use tap 90% of the time with inserting the card the other 10%.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

12 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

Yeah, that's what I meant. I read something about them being afraid of forcing it upon users, so it stays optional and thereby useless. 

Right, not secure at all. I have borrowed my family and friend's cards before and never got asked when I used them. I've used my sister's card (she has a clearly female name) and the cashier doesn't bat an eye lol (I'm a MANLY MAN!)

6 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

By chip reader do you mean when you put the card into the machine and enter your pin or tap where you don't even have to enter your pin? In Canada I use tap 90% of the time with inserting the card the other 10%.

I'm still afraid to look like a fool trying to use android pay. I have my cards saved on it but just afraid. Most places I've been to (US) have some kind of NFC reader on the machine. Now recently (passed year) stores have started swapping them out for ones with both the tap thingy and the insert card reader. But the tap thing is way more common (even tho many stores still block certain apps/providers)

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

1 minute ago, GeekJump said:

I'm still afraid to look like a fool trying to use android pay

As far as I know Android pay and Apple pay aren't yet available in Canada yet :( 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

so, you know that magnetic strip on a credit card?

we dont have readers for those anymore. we just have those for retarded countries like the USA. and thats not saying belgium is modern in any sense of the word, because everyone in power here is convinced that the internet is something bad all together.

Call the country retarded because of a credit card? Wow, how retarded. It's a bit surprising but definitely not retarded.

9 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

As far as I know Android pay and Apple pay aren't yet available in Canada yet :( 

Oh I really just meant using my phone to pay in general. I had Google wallet and never used it due to fear lol the only reason I have Android Pay set up now is because I have Project Fi and they automatically set it up for you when you activate service.

6 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Call the country retarded because of a credit card? Wow, how retarded. It's a bit surprising but definitely not retarded.

well, the technology is that old that 21 year old me doesnt even remember a time before the chips being there.

beyond that, money is one of those things where you need to be right on top of it because once money is involved people have no morals.

i flip shit at my own country every day because our nuclear reactors are about to explode, we joke about it.

sidenote, i know you lot dont like the word retarded anymore, but it literally means you're behind on things.

just like a black person is a black person, but somehow society decided you cant say that anymore. (especially an issue in my country, we joke about that too.)

4 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Yeah I'm away they don't have it anymore in many European countries, it's not secure to use anymore, but in the US updating things like this is slow due to lobbying, the sheer size (both land area and population) of the country, and the way our government is designed to be restrained (aka inefficient) , hopefully they actually push this more since fraud is so common.

the thing is, we had something like a "conversion period" where the old systems are still in place, but any new systems implemented have to be the chip method, its a bit of a hassle, but its way less hassle than converting overnight, and it costs nothing more than just continuing the old ways.

16 minutes ago, manikyath said:

sidenote, i know you lot dont like the word retarded anymore, but it literally means you're behind on things.

just like a black person is a black person, but somehow society decided you cant say that anymore. (especially an issue in my country, we joke about that too.)

Ahh the age old "American gets upset when someone uses retard". If only they knew the translation from many languages and literal definition :/

And wait a minute!? Calling someone black is offensive? Since when!

2 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

Ahh the age old "American gets upset when someone uses retard". If only they knew the translation from many languages and literal definition :/

And wait a minute!? Calling someone black is offensive? Since when!

the legal term for a black person in belgium is currently "our fellow colored citizen"

..i want to move to the netherlands, they went back to "black" because it makes sense that way.. i'm white, they're black, nam kei from that really good chinese restaurant is asian. (because yellow sounds like he's seasick, thats just not right...)