Gigabyte's new "gaming" PC is smaller than an Xbox controller?

naca1227

So Gigabyte's new Brix 2 "Gaming PC" is smaller than an Xbox controller. It's using an integrated GPU from Intel's new Iris line of iGPUs? I hadn't even heard of those before now. The one that the Brix 2 uses is supposedly as powerful as a GT650m from Nvidia. 

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/11/4718084/gigabytes-tiny-new-gaming-pc-is-smaller-than-an-xbox-controller

I love mini PC's but I don't think a HTPC/Mini gaming PC will ever need to be smaller than the current consoles, with a bit more room I am sure you could get better hardware, or atleast better cooling.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

but can it run Star Citizen?...no but really if it can run BF4 and if it has a upgrade-able GPU count me in. 

I actually thought it was a typo. "Smaller than the controller? yeah right..." and then I clicked the link.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Gt650m is terrible I have one in my laptop and it can't run game dev tycoon when u get the last office

More on this. I have to admit that it looks ok and the specs seem decent. The price though.....

2013-09-10_04-21-13-1020_large_verge_med

inShare

It used to be difficult to find a computer that could play games and still fit underneath your TV. Now, devices like the Alienware X51Falcon Northwest Tiki, and Digital Storm Bolt can handily fill that role. But what if you want a gaming PC that can fit in your hand? That's where the Gigabyte Brix II comes in: it's both cute and powerful. Earlier this year, the company introduced the Brix lineup of tiny barebones computers that fit potent laptop processors in incredibly small cases, just 4.5 inches on a side. Now, the company's updating the lineup with new Haswell processors — and one with Intel's Iris Pro graphics inside.
IRIS PRO: REDEFINING THE GAME CUBE
As we've explained, Iris is Intel's new integrated graphics brand, but it's a good bit more advanced than the lackluster integrated graphics you've probably used before, and the particular 65W chips Gigabyte is using include the very best Iris Pro graphics that Intel has to offer. The company likes to say they're on par with Nvidia's GeForce GT 650M discrete graphics chip, and while we can't definitively test that claim, it means that Gigabyte's managed to squeeze a pretty incredible amount of power into a tiny package. We tried out Dirt II at the 2013 Intel Developer Forum (IDF) in San Francisco this week, running on Gigabyte's diminutive cube, and it looked and played fantastic at 1080p. According to an Intel rep, the system can even play Crysis 3 to some degree. Just don't expect it to be on par with a system housing a beefy GPU.
For somewhere in the $499–$599 range, the Brix II comes with HDMI and Mini DisplayPort output, four USB 3.0 ports, a Gigabit Ethernet port, built in Wi-Fi, and a 3.5mm audio jack in the front. But here's the catch: since it's a barebones system, you have to supply your own memory, 2.5-inch hard drive, and operating system before you can obtain a Steam Box worthy of the designation. Intel says the system should ship this December.

GIGABYTE BRIX II HANDS-ON PICTURES

2013-09-10_04-36-41-1020_verge_super_wid
VIEW FULL GALLERY

Previous

• 2013-09-10_04-36-41-1020_medium.jpg
  • 2013-09-10_04-21-13-1020_medium.jpg
  • 2013-09-10_04-33-28-1020_medium.jpg
  • 2013-09-10_04-33-44-1020_medium.jpg
  • 2013-09-10_04-34-34-1020_medium.jpg
  • 2013-09-10_05-17-38-1020_medium.jpg
  • 2013-09-10_05-21-07-1020_medium.jpg
  • 2013-09-10_05-19-46-1020_medium.jpg
  • 2013-09-10_05-20-26-1020_medium.jpg

Next

If you like the Brix form factor but don't need potent graphics, the company has a whole lineup of similarly sized Brix computers on tap, starting at just $199. There are versions that offer solid-state storage, fanless models that are basically a hefty aluminum heatsink, and even a version with a built-in projector for $699. See them in our gallery above.

Source:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/11/4718084/gigabytes-tiny-new-gaming-pc-is-smaller-than-an-xbox-controller

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Its running intergrated graphics which will be unaplayable in most games without turning down the res and settings though so i do not really like them.

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

If the gpu does manage to be on par with the 650m then it's pretty good actually! A 650m easily manages 60+ fps on Battlefield 3.

This is actually pretty awesome for people that require or wants assured smooth computer experience no mater what they do for many years to comes, and aren't actual gamer, or just a casual gamer.

Another purpose could be a mini console like device for TV.

In any case, what surprised me the most, is that it's smaller than a GameCube.

No one ever includes the external power supply in the actual unit size. Thats cheating  :P

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Their IGPU IRIS, can play GRID2 with acceptable performance @ 1080p

Plus this is probably their best IRIS chip their using also....lots of performance considering.

I see it as a good thing, but not for my needs.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

its using the 5200 iris pro graphics which anad did review of. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested

The gaming results are actually quite surprising. It trades blows  with the 650m and according to other benchmarks around the web is a bit better than the 5800k. So this isn't a bad little machine actually. And for that price and what you're getting seems pretty reasonable IMO.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

when we can do better than the new consoles in something this small, ill buy one.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

when we can do better than the new consoles in something this small, ill buy one.

That is impossible, unless Microsoft and Sony decides that game play and unique experience goes before specs, much like Nintendo.

But then you'll say that this computer is too expensive compared to the console that would be in the range of 250-300$.