HOLY $H!T - Long Distance Wi-fi

id like to use my home wifi from 3 km away (at my work) on a laptop and/or phone.  i just need to buy 1 dish and that is all?

1 hour ago, shamas123 said:

id like to use my home wifi from 3 km away (at my work) on a laptop and/or phone.  i just need to buy 1 dish and that is all?

You'll probably need 2 at that distance even with clear line of sight, though with the bigger dishes you may be able to get away with just one.

I work for a wisp. These are great in the boonies but 80mhz ac channels without dfs has 3 non overlapping channels. Pretty much useless for urban areas. We mostly use stuff in the sub 5.8 range for ptp and ptmp deployment. 

On 2/20/2018 at 1:52 PM, -Old-Tom- said:

You'll probably need 2 at that distance even with clear line of sight, though with the bigger dishes you may be able to get away with just one.

i just checked again to make sure and its actually 1.5 km (1 mile).  how would my laptop connect to a dish that is installed at my house?  what exactly would i need to buy.

3 hours ago, derr12 said:

I work for a wisp. These are great in the boonies but 80mhz ac channels without dfs has 3 non overlapping channels. Pretty much useless for urban areas. We mostly use stuff in the sub 5.8 range for ptp and ptmp deployment. 

im sorry derr12 but im not sure what youre talking about.

1.5 km with a clear line of sight you may be ok with just the one (as the dish gives a fair amount of gain in both directions). emphasis on a clear line of sight

as of the channel width thing... most laptops etc don't support 80 or 160 MHz channels as they are only used for point to point really. but 20 or 40 MHz channels should serve you just fine. but derr12 is right in that stability could be an issue if you are in a really urban area due to your dish being swamped with all the other APs that it will be able to see but that is kinda just a suck it and see kinda situation.

I use 2 CPE-510s, by TP-Link, to broadcast a signal 5 Kilometers, line of sight. 

TRS-80 Color Computer, 32k, External Storage: Cassette Interface, Modem: 9800 Baud Dial Up, Printer: DMP-100 Dot Matrix. Upgrading to a floppy drive soon!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018 at 12:19 AM, shamas123 said:

i just checked again to make sure and its actually 1.5 km (1 mile).  how would my laptop connect to a dish that is installed at my house?  what exactly would i need to buy.

Your laptop wifi radio probably has a 3db antenna in it. Wifi is a 2 way street as tcp/ip requires acknowledgement of arrival. So if your little 200mw + 3db laptop radio can only toss a signal 100m that massive transmitter at the other end isn’t going to do squat. The trick is to buy 2 radios one for the source, the other at your house as a client. Then wire a traditional wifi router to your client radio. 

On 2/22/2018 at 12:19 AM, shamas123 said:

As in frequencies not used by regular wifi routers. Too much signal congestion from home equipment. 3.65ghz, 5.2-5.4 etc

On 3/1/2018 at 3:22 AM, ILFE said:

I use 2 CPE-510s, by TP-Link, to broadcast a signal 5 Kilometers, line of sight. 

A nice cheap solution is the ubiq rocket series or anything by mikrotik. Love me some mikrotik for networking on the cheap.

A lot of the carrier grade stuff (think 5k plus per unit) they use a mega shielded chassis and narrow beams to block out interference. Cambium is pretty good and a lot of the LTE stuff coming out is spectacular.

derr12 also remember that radio is also a 2 way street as a 3 dB antenna at one end and a 20 dB antenna at the other will give you a total link gain of 23 dB. i.e the laptop may not produce a very big signal but the dish as the other end has big ears.
we are using a pair of powerbeam PBE-M5-300 to shoot around 10 km from a hill top across to the other side of a township to one of our sites and have had no issues with the link (it's monitored for downtime) and it's been there for well over a year now. it would be interesting to try it directly to a laptop as given the RSSI we have a 3 dB antenna would almost be enough to function though having the extra 22 dB of the second dish means it is super stable.

we also operated a 1 km link to a temporary site using a pair of PBE-5AC-400-ISO for about 6 months in an urban/light industrial environment with a 160 MHz channel and had no issues with stability, we even got their quoted 450 Mbps throughput.

Hey, so long as you are above the noise floor on both ends right?  You will get a lower modulation rate back at the AP (upload), but if that doesnt matter, it can work in some cases. you will loose the ability to run dual/3 chain in that configuration as well.

Every site is different.  Was at a local hotel/resort that was within LOS of one of our old 801.11 based sites.  Out of curiosity I connected to it with 3 bars, never did get more than a partial page load and had frequent kicks from the AP.  So it can be done in some cases i'm sure.