HOLY $H!T - Long Distance Wi-fi

Anyone else having difficulty playing the video?  Said it wouldn't play after about a minute in 1080p....after about 4 minutes at 720p it quit....been trying in 480p and am at about 8:30 and it says an error has occurred.  I'm assuming this is just Youtube?  It's definitely not my internet speed....as that's around 170Mbps currently.

EDIT:  Only took 4 or 5 tries, but I finally finished it.  I'm glad to know about this.  I don't currently have any use for it, but it's good information for future possibilities!

16 minutes ago, Yoshigriff said:

Anyone else having difficulty playing the video?  Said it wouldn't play after about a minute in 1080p....after about 4 minutes at 720p it quit....been trying in 480p and am at about 8:30 and it says an error has occurred.  I'm assuming this is just Youtube?  It's definitely not my internet speed....as that's around 170Mbps currently.

EDIT:  Only took 4 or 5 tries, but I finally finished it.  I'm glad to know about this.  I don't currently have any use for it, but it's good information for future possibilities!

Yeah I had that issue too. I played it on Vessel and it's working just fine.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Yeah I had that issue too. I played it on Vessel and it's working just fine.

how much is vessel and when does LTT's free year expire? 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

1 minute ago, FatPenguin said:

how much is vessel and when does LTT's free year expire? 

I'm curious as well.  I don't really know anything about Vessel.

I'm semi-interested in the viability of hacking this antennae to a Cisco Aironet.

i am forced to use dish satellite internet because i live 5 miles out from charter

i own a business with a 60/10 connection

does this com with both units or do i have to buy both

what else do i need to implement this

i am forced to use dish satellite internet because i live 5 miles out from charter

1 hour ago, Highschool Nerd said:

I think it is sold as a single unit.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/powerbeam/

3 hours ago, Highschool Nerd said:

definitely sold separately at this tier. i think some of their airFibre products come as a set but the price of those is also a big step up.

basically all you need to get this going is a couple of poles to mount your dishes to and a clear line of sight. with emphasis on the line of sight as the ground will soak up a decent amount of signal unless you can get your dish up quite high at one end.

40 minutes ago, -Old-Tom- said:

definitely sold separately at this tier. i think some of their airFibre products come as a set but the price of those is also a big step up.

basically all you need to get this going is a couple of polls to mount your dishes to and a clear line of sight. with emphasis on the line of sight as the ground will soak up a decent amount of signal unless you can get your dish up quite high at one end.

Dude, not cool. What do Polish people have to do with this?

32 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

Dude, not cool. What do Polish people have to do with this?

Oh Snap!

Actually registered just to chat on this one.  For two reasons.

Firstly, DefCon used to have a competition for communication distance, but that kind of ended.  http://boingboing.net/2005/07/31/defcon-wifi-shootout.html  When you've run out of line-of-sight, it's a little harder to push the signal without using Air-based receivers.  I always found the stories about both nutty years hilarious, so I was happy to see far more "consumer" level applications being a bit more common.

The second is, after spending way too many hours over the last week listening to Linus (I've been sick), is he giving up at this?  If the Topology between the two points won't work, well, ask for a 2nd set.  Then setup an intermediate point.  This forum is active enough, I'm quite certain the users could figure out a LoS setup or at least the rough locations where you'd want to ask to borrow their roof for a day.  The thought of Linus trying to align them properly just brings a smile to my face.

5 hours ago, Highschool Nerd said:

You'll need direct line of site, best to confirm this with some binoculars or something.

Comes as separate units.

Nothing really, it's pretty simple stuff.

17 minutes ago, Darren said:

You'll need direct line of site, best to confirm this with some binoculars or something.

Comes as separate units.

Nothing really, it's pretty simple stuff.

Keep in mind that the sight that wifi has is different than human sight. Things that may look opaque to a human may be translucent or clear to WiFi.

Just now, xnamkcor said:

Keep in mind that the sight that wifi has is different than human sight. Things that may look opaque to a human may be translucent or clear to WiFi.

and visa versa, also Fresnel bands can come into effect

Would this have been really useful for Linus? Would he have connected his work and home servers together? 

5 hours ago, iPolymer said:

Would this have been really useful for Linus? Would he have connected his work and home servers together? 

In Canada, residential/consumer internet connections typically have limits how how much data you can use per month. Sharing his business one that has no such limits with his home would have allowed him to use internet at home without such limits. Also, the speed would be awesome. Also, his home would technically be part of his LAN at work.

PS: I would recommend he only have one or two "work" computers hooked up to his office LAN, since treating his entire home network as part of his work network could post both a security risk and removing the delineation between business and home.

On February 22, 2016 at 11:55 PM, nicklmg said:

Amazon: http://geni.us/25fN

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1QUrL4p

Ubiquiti Networks claims that their Powerbeam AC can provide a 450Mbit link over a 25 KILOMETER range! Let's check this badboy out...

You say it's $150 bucks, but your NCIX link clearly want closer to $300. What gives?

3 minutes ago, Grumpyboots said:

You say it's $150 bucks, but your NCIX link clearly want closer to $300. What gives?

They probably told him the product he was reviewing was 150 USD, then sent him a whole kit to make sure he can do a proper video. It happens a lot with "review" packages.

Just now, xnamkcor said:

They probably told him the product he was reviewing was 150 USD, then sent him a whole kit to make sure he can do a proper video. It happens a lot with "review" packages.

they may also have gotten things mixed up and gave him the price of the PBE-5AC-300 or 400 which  are closer to the $150 mark

On 23/02/2016 at 8:57 PM, xnamkcor said:

Well, I literally mean if there's a tree in the way then you're screwed.

15 hours ago, xnamkcor said:

In Canada, residential/consumer internet connections typically have limits how how much data you can use per month. Sharing his business one that has no such limits with his home would have allowed him to use internet at home without such limits. Also, the speed would be awesome. Also, his home would technically be part of his LAN at work.

PS: I would recommend he only have one or two "work" computers hooked up to his office LAN, since treating his entire home network as part of his work network could post both a security risk and removing the delineation between business and home.

Different LAN range, same router, use firewall to separate, done.

On 23/02/2016 at 8:59 PM, -Old-Tom- said:

and visa versa, also Fresnel bands can come into effect

If you're relying on that then giddy up cowboy :)

59 minutes ago, Darren said:

Well, I literally mean if there's a tree in the way then you're screwed.

Different LAN range, same router, use firewall to separate, done.

If you're relying on that then giddy up cowboy :)

At that point you might as well get a proper Router and Switch and set up VLANs.

So if one were to get two of these how would one go about aligning the two over a long distance?

16 minutes ago, Micim987 said:

So if one were to get two of these how would one go about aligning the two over a long distance?

Polaris.