How to Disable Throttling?

Go to solution Solved by X_X,

@TwinDenis

As already stated the software reporting 1MHz is buggy, the CPU does not run at that speed, the slowest speed is hundreds of times that measurement or stopped (0MHz). BIOS does not disable C-State C1. You can however disable all idle C-States from Windows by running the following in an admin cmd box.

powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR IDLEDISABLE 1

powercfg /S SCHEME_CURRENT

This will disable idle C-States, make your cores run at 100% and can be used for testing your buggy software reporting 1MHz. To reset back to normal use 0 instead of 1.

Who say's your throttling at 45C? There are other reasons for throttling such as power limiting and current limiting however so far I've seen nothing you've posted to indicate CPU throttling at all. If you run HWiNFO use the "sensors" window and monitor/log CPU speed and throttling / duty cycle. Do whatever it is you do to experience throttling then go back check HWiNFO sensor window/log.

Tjmax aka temperature target is written into one of the CPU's MSR's. Maybe you can use CPU-Z to save a txt report. ACPI is a method used for power management, don't worry about it for now, try those other tests first.

Hi, I would like to know how to disable CPU Throttling?

I disabled the bios following options: "SpeedStep/C-States/TurboBoost"

I disable in the OS the following options: HighPerformance PowerOptions with Allow Throttling Disabled.

I believe my CPU is throttling because of many reasons (example: cpu heavy games) also in latencymon I got this little segment everytime:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CPU SPEED
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Reported CPU speed:                                   3591 MHz
Measured CPU speed:                                   1 MHz (approx.)
Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.
WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature

How can I make sure my cpu runs at full and how to fix it?

(Besides Temps because they are normal, 50-65 depending on the task)

Temperatures did not positively affect my performance, I even clocked my Fan Speed at highest which made the cpu go to 40C.

My fans are environmental triggered so the moment the temperature goes up my fans go faster so I always have stable temperatures.

u6t9rg76rf9h7r86tf7ud.png.f3443d5ae33f83 78th087t09bv8t6uf9uyf.png.4d51fa9476b425

,Thanks

AFAIK CPU is only throttling if it is overheating. And it can not be disabled.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Just now, jj9987 said:

AFAIK CPU is only throttling if it is overheating. And it can not be disabled.

Point is as said above that it is not overheating and it is not performing at the reported speed.

So, what?

you cant disable it. you need a better cooling solution 

• CPU i7 4790k 4589.16MHz, Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1, RAM Corsair dominator platinum 16 gb 3977.3 MHz, GPU Nvidia 3080, Case Corsair 750d, Storage Samsung 850 pro 512gb, WD black 2tb, PSU Corsair HX1000i, Cooling Corsair H110i, Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB, Mouse Logitech G502 RGB, Monitor S2721DGFA, Sound Bose surround system, Operating system Windows 10

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

Point is as said above that it is not overheating and it is not performing at the reported speed.

So, what?

use cpuz to get actual readings 

• CPU i7 4790k 4589.16MHz, Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1, RAM Corsair dominator platinum 16 gb 3977.3 MHz, GPU Nvidia 3080, Case Corsair 750d, Storage Samsung 850 pro 512gb, WD black 2tb, PSU Corsair HX1000i, Cooling Corsair H110i, Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB, Mouse Logitech G502 RGB, Monitor S2721DGFA, Sound Bose surround system, Operating system Windows 10

Unless you feel like burning your chip I'd rather not, throttling is there to prevent the chip from frying itself at high temperatures. Your chip shouldn't throttle at optimal temperatures, so double check using CPU-Z and other tools.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Your CPU Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1620 have a TCASE of 64.0 °C

TCASE is : Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).

Get a better cooling

CPU: i7-4790k || Mobo: MSI Gaming 5 Z97|| Ram: GSkill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X r9 390x || Case: CoolerMaster cm storm scout 2 || Storage: samsung evo 850 500GB , WD Black 3TB , WD Green 2TB , WD 1TB external (backups/Media) , Seagate 1TB external (Backups) || PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ GOLD || Displays: Samsung C24FG70 , Dell U2414H || Keyboard: Logitech G810 || Mouse: Logitech G502 proteus spectrum || Headset: Logitech G633

5 minutes ago, littlelegsone said:

you cant disable it. you need a better cooling solution 

My cooling solution is serving perfect so far

3 minutes ago, littlelegsone said:

use cpuz to get actual readings 

Okay then.

u6t9rg76rf9h7r86tf7ud.png.6cedbd9d7000bd

78th087t09bv8t6uf9uyf.png.aaa8ed46a0cff5

Usually tasks go and make the cpu0 core lift all the heavy things.

I encounter performance issues in games but I do not see the fps counter dropping so I see it could easily be the CPU because it is particle related and happens more in cpu-heavy games.

So my summary is that it is something to do with the CPU. At least on some extend (gtx980 should handle them easily).

Besides that, I thought it was not giving the performance it should give as its i7 counterpart would. Essentially the same just a re-package of the previous i7 product, a placebo. 

There is a way to disable thermal throttling in the BIOS right? if not, how can I?

potato confiruruururmed

Just now, IsaacDaGrazin said:

There is a way to disable thermal throttling in the BIOS right? if not, how can I?

potato confiruruururmed

There are the C-States and the SpeedStep, in windows there is the power options, which can be changed from the registry to not allow throttling.

My cooling adjust the temperature according to environment data, so I always get a specific temperature range of 55-65c.

If your CPU is throttling I frankly would be looking for the root of that case rather then trying to disable it. 

it throttles to prevent death, if tis throttling something is wrong 

Heat would be the go to cause as to the reason and im still leaning towards that...run some cpu demanding games in windowed mode with NZXT CAM/CPUz/ADIA64 clearly showing your temp cause im skeptical its any other reason (Im sure you are tired of hearing this but if so many people are saying it..id look into it.)

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

3 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

There are the C-States and the SpeedStep, in windows there is the power options, which can be changed from the registry to not allow throttling.

My cooling adjust the temperature according to environment data, so I always get a specific temperature range of 55-65c.

As has been mentioned its happy temp is 64 so...

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

10 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

If your CPU is throttling I frankly would be looking for the root of that case rather then trying to disable it. 

it throttles to prevent death, if tis throttling something is wrong 

Heat would be the go to cause as to the reason and im still leaning towards that...run some cpu demanding games in windowed mode with NZXT CAM/CPUz/ADIA64 clearly showing your temp cause im skeptical its any other reason (Im sure you are tired of hearing this but if so many people are saying it..id look into it.)

,As has been mentioned its happy temp is 64 so...

I dont get passed 70C in any situation.

Here is an example in a cpu-heavy game:

hotsbenchmark3414145.thumb.png.f9db90b86

This is the only game I struggle the most. Heroes of the Storm.

I measured a big portion.

So you can analyse it if you can.

In Game fps=constant 60+

But the performance is like having 30fps in some cases.

In blade and soul it got better by setting allow throttling to disabled.

Although in this game on the graph I got not significant improvement.

In any case. point is, I think it is coolled properly

Regardless I have tried with high speed as said above, so I was getting 40c, if that is a dangerous temp then okay... I should stop getting out to get sunlight. :/ in the summer.

ps: Merge your double posts, I will read them both so dont worry of me getting notified.

You may PM me as well.

Your cpu max operating temperature is 64 Celsius. That's why it's throttling. 

You MUST get better cooling if you don't want it to happen. There is no other option

why do you have a xeon in a gaming rig??? 

47 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Hi, I would like to know how to disable CPU Throttling?

I disabled the bios following options: "SpeedStep/C-States/TurboBoost"

I disable in the OS the following options: HighPerformance PowerOptions with Allow Throttling Disabled.

I believe my CPU is throttling because of many reasons (example: cpu heavy games) also in latencymon I got this little segment everytime:

How can I make sure my cpu runs at full and how to fix it?

(Besides Temps because they are normal, 50-65 depending on the task)

Temperatures did not positively affect my performance, I even clocked my Fan Speed at highest which made the cpu go to 40C.

My fans are environmental triggered so the moment the temperature goes up my fans go faster so I always have stable temperatures.

u6t9rg76rf9h7r86tf7ud.png.f3443d5ae33f83 78th087t09bv8t6uf9uyf.png.4d51fa9476b425

,Thanks

Did you even do any research i mean one simple google search of "Xeon E5 1620" tells you everything you need to know, you have also been told multiple times the culprit to your problem which you seem to just ignore over and over again.

Rig: 5950X | ROG VIII Formula | 6900XT
Laptop: 5900HX | 6800M | 16GB

31 minutes ago, littlelegsone said:

why do you have a xeon in a gaming rig??? 

why not? it is similar to a locked i5 

Software showing 1MHz is buggy.

Check Windows power plan processor min and max are 100%, check active cooling is specified and not passive. C-State C1 is controlled by the OS and not the BIOS, which OS are you using? Temperature (TCC) throttling is controlled by core temperatures and not case temperature (there is no sensor in the IHS). Check Tjmax and ACPI. Check core parking is not active. Try running with HT disabled. Use freely available HWiNFO to check for throttling.

The E5-1620 can clock higher if you can tame it.

iey7ya.png

AWOL

I know im a couple of years late but I just couldnt be bothered going into the bios but i did :/ here you go

isnt this how to disable throttling?

sorry for bad quality

:P

BIOS.thumb.JPG.f6971fdbd4604fb5f1052defc

Speed Step, and C States have NOTHING to do with Throttling.

Run RealBench, Cinebench, Prime, or something like that.

Open HWMonitor, or HWInfo. Maybe CPU-Z for Clock speed.

While the Benchmark is running, you check:

- At what Clock speed is the CPU currently running? Is it those 3.6 Ghz? If yes, no Throttling. If yes:

- Check CPU Temperature. Too high?

6 hours ago, RafaelSoaresP said:

Your cpu max operating temperature is 64 Celsius. That's why it's throttling. 

You MUST get better cooling if you don't want it to happen. There is no other option

Why should I? I went to my bios and made my fans spin faster and that made my temps go 45C while gaming with high fan speed, this did not affect the performance, was still having the issue.

6 hours ago, Loxa said:

Did you even do any research i mean one simple google search of "Xeon E5 1620" tells you everything you need to know, you have also been told multiple times the culprit to your problem which you seem to just ignore over and over again.

Yes I did, care to point it out?

Because I was told that the whole rig is not good, which is the short answer.

6 hours ago, X_X said:

Software showing 1MHz is buggy.

Check Windows power plan processor min and max are 100%, check active cooling is specified and not passive. C-State C1 is controlled by the OS and not the BIOS, which OS are you using? Temperature (TCC) throttling is controlled by core temperatures and not case temperature (there is no sensor in the IHS). Check Tjmax and ACPI. Check core parking is not active. Try running with HT disabled. Use freely available HWiNFO to check for throttling.

The E5-1620 can clock higher if you can tame it.

iey7ya.png

I enabled some additional power options like "allow throttling" and yes it is 100% and disabled throttling in the OS. I disabled C-States in bios, I use windows 10 pro64.

Why throttle at 45C? Thats my concern, I used the high fan speeds of my PC but did not affect the performance, so the CPU should not throttle at these temps.

Tjmax  is not available for my country, What do you mean by ACPI?

I disabled core parking using a program and also by using the additional power options.

I run with HT disabled.

5 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Speed Step, and C States have NOTHING to do with Throttling.

Run RealBench, Cinebench, Prime, or something like that.

Open HWMonitor, or HWInfo. Maybe CPU-Z for Clock speed.

While the Benchmark is running, you check:

- At what Clock speed is the CPU currently running? Is it those 3.6 Ghz? If yes, no Throttling. If yes:

- Check CPU Temperature. Too high?

Here is the HWiMonitor:

w3vg4b34bb3b.thumb.png.fa7aa3c91367c4ab1

And here is the HWinfo:

et3t346h267j24567j47457.thumb.png.c26c2d

@TwinDenis

As already stated the software reporting 1MHz is buggy, the CPU does not run at that speed, the slowest speed is hundreds of times that measurement or stopped (0MHz). BIOS does not disable C-State C1. You can however disable all idle C-States from Windows by running the following in an admin cmd box.

This will disable idle C-States, make your cores run at 100% and can be used for testing your buggy software reporting 1MHz. To reset back to normal use 0 instead of 1.

Who say's your throttling at 45C? There are other reasons for throttling such as power limiting and current limiting however so far I've seen nothing you've posted to indicate CPU throttling at all. If you run HWiNFO use the "sensors" window and monitor/log CPU speed and throttling / duty cycle. Do whatever it is you do to experience throttling then go back check HWiNFO sensor window/log.

Tjmax aka temperature target is written into one of the CPU's MSR's. Maybe you can use CPU-Z to save a txt report. ACPI is a method used for power management, don't worry about it for now, try those other tests first.

AWOL

7 hours ago, X_X said:

@TwinDenis

Okay, thanks for the useful information, I will bookmark those.

By the way I know it is buggy, I posted to make sure.

Because you never know.

I have some screenshots above, if these do not cover you can ask for specifics.

I encountered performance issues, like fps drops without the fps counter going down in games, but they occur noticably (in various games) when I see something like smoke/fog or in guildwars2 there is a specific area that has confetti (Yup, I am serious) or in minecraft while raining. You get the idea.

It happens in these particles/effects. Normal abilities and spells however do not affect performance, and adjusting particle effects quality will not affect either, so I suspected the CPU to be at fault since all other suspects were out of the question, I hovered around forums to find out whether it is hardware/software or what is not at fault and what could be. My cpu (xeon) is a specific counterpart of an earlier i7 (I dont remember the model). I first checked scores on this build and all, and saw it had high score. However the performance was lower than indicated.

But anyway, none of this matter, the point is the effect I am getting from these situations.

I think a particular situation is triggering this to happen.

I always get 60 stable fps in games, however what I perceive is 30 fps in these situations besides what the counter writes.

Okay so, as you asked.

I upen HWinfo and I get this on the sensors:

43m7w4m7wr67m.png.c57711ba5ab52300d25f43

Then here are the results: MonitoringDataDenisPC.CSV 

So I did not use the sensor from Dell.

Hope I did it right,

Even in this short time it has the issues I said above. Well I did the extreme of playing heroes of the storm which causes a lot of those performance issues, maybe more than the other games.

Anyway, if you need any more information, I am here.

Don't worry about EC unless you want some extra readings and fan speeds.

If you were logging while experiencing a slow down it wasn't due to the CPU throttling. That log you posted shows no CPU throttling temperature or otherwise, clock does not drop. FWIW it shows Tjmax as 97C, that's the default Intel core temperature for thermal throttling unless ACPI is set lower.

AWOL

23 hours ago, TwinDenis said:

This is the only game I struggle the most. Heroes of the Storm.

I measured a big portion.

So you can analyse it if you can.

In Game fps=constant 60+

But the performance is like having 30fps in some cases.

In blade and soul it got better by setting allow throttling to disabled.

Although in this game on the graph I got not significant improvement.

Try Enabling/Disabling VSync

I always thought that FPS in game is the performance, how can it go down if the numbers don't change?

Are you sure it's not stuttering or tearing?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K