How to Disable Throttling?

Go to solution Solved by X_X,

@TwinDenis

As already stated the software reporting 1MHz is buggy, the CPU does not run at that speed, the slowest speed is hundreds of times that measurement or stopped (0MHz). BIOS does not disable C-State C1. You can however disable all idle C-States from Windows by running the following in an admin cmd box.

powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR IDLEDISABLE 1

powercfg /S SCHEME_CURRENT

This will disable idle C-States, make your cores run at 100% and can be used for testing your buggy software reporting 1MHz. To reset back to normal use 0 instead of 1.

Who say's your throttling at 45C? There are other reasons for throttling such as power limiting and current limiting however so far I've seen nothing you've posted to indicate CPU throttling at all. If you run HWiNFO use the "sensors" window and monitor/log CPU speed and throttling / duty cycle. Do whatever it is you do to experience throttling then go back check HWiNFO sensor window/log.

Tjmax aka temperature target is written into one of the CPU's MSR's. Maybe you can use CPU-Z to save a txt report. ACPI is a method used for power management, don't worry about it for now, try those other tests first.

ENABLE turboboost

all other settings look fine

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

3 hours ago, DXMember said:

Try Enabling/Disabling VSync

I always thought that FPS in game is the performance, how can it go down if the numbers don't change?

Are you sure it's not stuttering or tearing?

No it is not.

3 minutes ago, ProKoN said:

ENABLE turboboost

all other settings look fine

Ok

also

the max turbo frequency is 3.8ghz. that may only be on a single core and 36x on all cores under load. (you may be able to get 40x, some of these chips give extra bins)

your mainboard will have to support enhanced turbo if you want to get 38x on all cores, not all boards do.  if you have a setting called enhanced turbo or multicore enhancement make sure its enabled.

also try setting the multiplier if you can

some boards will not turbo all cores to max frequency on locked chips, even with c-states set correctly and on a single thread load. there is a work around but you have to disable all but one core.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

2 hours ago, ProKoN said:

also

the max turbo frequency is 3.8ghz. that may only be on a single core and 36x on all cores under load. (you may be able to get 40x, some of these chips give extra bins)

your mainboard will have to support enhanced turbo if you want to get 38x on all cores, not all boards do.  if you have a setting called enhanced turbo or multicore enhancement make sure its enabled.

also try setting the multiplier if you can

some boards will not turbo all cores to max frequency on locked chips, even with c-states set correctly and on a single thread load. there is a work around but you have to disable all but one core.

Well, the problem is that it is locked.

I tried using turbo-boost too.

You can check the graphs above for info about how my CPU behaves in games.

ironically a combination of settings improved performance but did not make it as it should.

What I did that improved it was:

Disabled throttling from power options,

Use nvidia inspector to tweak the behavior of my gpu, selected many settings like allow aggressive memory allocation, enable application for optimus->blank which autoselected the option "autodesk, etc etc" (It was auto select by default).

Disabled all Gsync functions and some other things that were included in this video.

I dont use SLI or GSync so all these are disabled.

If you know how to setup nvidia inspector properly I would like to know the proper recommended settings for my rig.

On 2/22/2016 at 6:00 AM, X_X said:

@TwinDenis

As already stated the software reporting 1MHz is buggy, the CPU does not run at that speed, the slowest speed is hundreds of times that measurement or stopped (0MHz). BIOS does not disable C-State C1. You can however disable all idle C-States from Windows by running the following in an admin cmd box.

powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR IDLEDISABLE 1

powercfg /S SCHEME_CURRENT

This will disable idle C-States, make your cores run at 100% and can be used for testing your buggy software reporting 1MHz. To reset back to normal use 0 instead of 1.

Who say's your throttling at 45C? There are other reasons for throttling such as power limiting and current limiting however so far I've seen nothing you've posted to indicate CPU throttling at all. If you run HWiNFO use the "sensors" window and monitor/log CPU speed and throttling / duty cycle. Do whatever it is you do to experience throttling then go back check HWiNFO sensor window/log.

Tjmax aka temperature target is written into one of the CPU's MSR's. Maybe you can use CPU-Z to save a txt report. ACPI is a method used for power management, don't worry about it for now, try those other tests first.

After I used this, this happened.

ohmanthisheatisbig2323421.thumb.png.8da4

Anyway, I ran the game with this, using turbo boost as well, and made the fans spin faster causing 48C with 100% utilization and realtime allocation to the game from task manager.

I still had the issue.

So what could it be really...

It is particle related I think but not spell effects. And physx off + low particle quality did not fix it.

And yes the program is still showing the same so it is buggy even though it is recommended to use.

Anyway, I really wonder what could cause this.

Of course, this is what happens when all idle C-States are disabled, the cores are always active.

AWOL

Its probabky just the Programm reading false Cpu temperatures. If it throttles at 50°c theres something wrong (as you already mentioned), so maby try another program to read your temps.

Otherwise its maby your Psu wich simply cannot provide enough power for powering your Cpu and Gpu at the same time. Try running Intel Burntest (Wich only hits the cpu) and see if it throttles. If it doesn't -> Get a better Psu

I will mark this subject as solved and move over to this thread to continue the discussion of why I have performance issues, so thanks everyone.

If you have ways to identify and resolve it, feel free to reply.

This is advanced so keep in mind to read the initial post of the thread beforehand.

It seems that it is something besides common throttling since I tried using 100% of the cpu power.

,Thanks