Is a 4th gen build still future proof??

Go to solution Solved by Sketched360,

Yeah, I think i will take the 4790. I will get a good enough boost from what i have now so I'm okay with getting the 4th gen. The price is also really good so yeah thumbs up to that too. Thanks again guys. :)

So this is a question that has been aching me for quite some time. I really want to get started on a new personal rig but I'm stuck at a crossroad where the paths to choose are to go haswell or skylake. 

So I've heard my share of both chipsets and me who has never owned any cpu later than sandybridge can only dream and wonder what the later gens would be like. So I'm actually on the verge of buying a z97s sli krait and an intel 4790 to start my journey towards 4th gen. I actually wanted to go with the new skylake cpus but something turned me away from the wonders of 6th gen. I've heard a lot of this whole "bendgate" thing going around with the skylake chips and 3rd party coolers and how people say, "No it won't bend, just make sure not to move your pc too much". This sounds awfully inconvenient to me which is why I've stuck to the good 'ol 4th generation but my question is, will it still keep me satisfied for a long time? The answer is probably yes but I'd like to hear from the professionals here lol.

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHzGigabyte GTX 970 4GB WF3  | Thermaltake Chaser A31 | Z97 Guard Pro

Gaming | Anime | Programming 

Haswell is stil worthwhile and considering that Skylake is still carrying a pretty hefty price premium where you live it's not worthwhile. I would however look at a Xeon E3 1230/1231v3 instead as it's a 4790 (non-k) without integrated graphics for the price of an i5-4690k. 

P.s. I also wouldn't worry about the bendgate bullshit. The only reason I would go Haswell over Skylake is the likely hefty price premium that Skylake carries. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Should be fine for awhile

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Futureproof. I would say no. Only because the upgrade path has no DDR4 support and no future growth support

Is it still worth while and will run will for a while? Oh yeah. Its still a great system platform. I wouldnt call it futureproof though.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

4 minutes ago, Sketched360 said:

So this is a question that has been aching me for quite some time. I really want to get started on a new personal rig but I'm stuck at a crossroad where the paths to choose are to go haswell or skylake. 

So I've heard my share of both chipsets and me who has never owned any cpu later than sandybridge can only dream and wonder what the later gens would be like. So I'm actually on the verge of buying a z97s sli krait and an intel 4790 to start my journey towards 4th gen. I actually wanted to go with the new skylake cpus but something turned me away from the wonders of 6th gen. I've heard a lot of this whole "bendgate" thing going around with the skylake chips and 3rd party coolers and how people say, "No it won't bend, just make sure not to move your pc too much". This sounds awfully inconvenient to me which is why I've stuck to the good 'ol 4th generation but my question is, will it still keep me satisfied for a long time? The answer is probably yes but I'd like to hear from the professionals here lol.

Not a huge difference if price is a major factor...some of the benefits come from the new z170 architecture though...

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

Personally I have a 4790 myself and I really do like it. It works good for me, I don't think I've even used it to it's maximum potential besides folding

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Haswell is stil worthwhile and considering that Skylake is still carrying a pretty hefty price premium where you live it's not worthwhile. I would however look at a Xeon E3 1230/1231v3 instead as it's a 4790 (non-k) without integrated graphics for the price of an i5-4690k. 

P.s. I also wouldn't worry about the bendgate bullshit. The only reason I would go Haswell over Skylake is the likely hefty price premium that Skylake carries. 

I was also kinda leaning towards the 4790 since i can get it for a real good price. I can get it for R2500 ( $162,14 ) brand new. Which i think is a good price. 

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHzGigabyte GTX 970 4GB WF3  | Thermaltake Chaser A31 | Z97 Guard Pro

4 minutes ago, Sketched360 said:

I was also kinda leaning towards the 4790 since i can get it for a real good price. I can get it for R2500 ( $162,14 ) brand new. Which i think is a good price. 

That sounds very good (at least in terms of US pricing). I assume a 4790k and Xeon E3 1230/1231v3 are both quite a bit more expensive? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, Low_Battery said:

Not a huge difference if price is a major factor...some of the benefits come from the new z170 architecture though...

True true. Building up 2 rigs would be the best option but i don't have the money to even do that :D Its actually quite a hefty price where i stay though. 

7 minutes ago, Sketched360 said:

2nd gen 2500k is still fine for me(4.7GHz OC), so yes the 4th gen is fine for gaming and other stuff

and this is coming from a guy who use to game on an e8600 for 8 years

1 minute ago, Jer45 said:

2nd gen 2500k is still fine for me(4.7GHz OC), so yes the 4th gen is fine for gaming and other stuff

I used an e8500 until 1 year ago :)  Great CPUs...

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That sounds very good (at least in terms of US pricing). I assume a 4790k and Xeon E3 1230/1231v3 are both quite a bit more expensive? 

Yeah, the 4790k here is actually about 5700 South African Rands ($369,69) which is the standard price on amazon anyway.

Just now, Jer45 said:

Yeah, my 2600 has been holding me for a great couple of years! 

no such thing as future proof

new stuff is released every few months or every year

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

no such thing as future proof

new stuff is released every few months or every year

I just realized, I'm still running a 2600 and i honestly don't feel like I'm behind in performance at all. So that is a point. So i guess getting a 4790 won't be bad after all. 

You'll be more than fine going with the 4790. The difference between skylake and haswell is marginal, especially when looking at devils canyon. Yes, you lose out on DDR4 but really it isn't that big of a deal. You can still get great speeds on DDR3 for cheaper.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Performance difference is next to none

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Yeah, I think i will take the 4790. I will get a good enough boost from what i have now so I'm okay with getting the 4th gen. The price is also really good so yeah thumbs up to that too. Thanks again guys. :)