ASUS STRIX R9 390X OVERHEATING

25 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The strix cooler doesn't cool the VRAM and VRMs iirc.

True or not this has nothing to do with that, he said it used to be in the 70s and it is not in the 90s on the core. Maybe read the post through next time.

@xmitakos the tim must have dried up or maybe it wasn't well applied in the first place and after a bit of usage the cooler started to make poor contact with the gpu. This is an issue that is best solved with an rma, if it's still within warranty just have asus send you a new card. If you're outside warranty or can't send it back for some reason, you can disassemble the cooler and reapply thermal paste yourself, there are guides on youtube to do that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, xmitakos said:

Ok thnk you very much for the info! Really appreciate it

No probs...if you do decide to update the driver again to crimson (which I use without issues, thankfully) Run DDU first.

28 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

It's the cooler. It was designed for the Fury and then slapped onto the 390(X) but since the Fury's die size is a lot bigger, 2 of the heatpipes don't end up making contact. Couple that with the abundance of TIM and you have a recipe for disaster.

Contact or not, if the gpu runs below 75c that's irrelevant. If the vrms are overheating that's a different story, but the gpu cooling is just fine and having some heatpipes not making contact can't cause cooling degradation over time, it doesn't make sense.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, EdInk said:

No probs...if you do decide to update the driver again to crimson (which I use without issues, thankfully) Run DDU first.

What is DDU? :P

Just now, xmitakos said:

What is DDU? :P

A driver removal tool

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The Asus R9 390X Strix is just a hot running card, it runs at almost 90C in all of the reviews so your temperatures are actually within the range of normal, there is really nothing Asus can do to fix the problem for you. The only real solution would be to increase the fan speed or return it and get a decent model, some like a MSI Gaming, Sapphire Nitro, or a Powercolor PSC+.

51 minutes ago, xmitakos said:

Hi guys I have overheating issues with my GPU Asus strix 390X OC 

My system is this 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/xaris/saved/#view=464H99

I have downloaded all new drivers, even fix patch for crimson and I get temperatures of 90C ++

Tried to use manual use for the fans, I ended up with terrible noise just to have temperatures of about 83C-85C.

Any ideas of what to do?

How can i fix this problem? Temperatures used to be 73-75C ....

Thank you all in advance for any tips

Best to all!!!

P.S Games I play are Witcher 3, MGS5 and WoW.

Try turning up the case fans too, if it hasn't already dawned on you. You gotta get all that heat out of that case that the card is producing. Ran into this problem with my MSI 390. Couldn't figure out why the temps were higher than normal, till i looked at msi afterburner, saw the gpu fans maxed and my case fans at basically idle. Once i spun up the fans and started getting that heat out, the card came right down in temp.