ASUS STRIX R9 390X OVERHEATING

Hi guys I have overheating issues with my GPU Asus strix 390X OC 

My system is this 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/xaris/saved/#view=464H99

I have downloaded all new drivers, even fix patch for crimson and I get temperatures of 90C ++

Tried to use manual use for the fans, I ended up with terrible noise just to have temperatures of about 83C-85C.

Any ideas of what to do?

How can i fix this problem? Temperatures used to be 73-75C ....

Thank you all in advance for any tips

Best to all!!!

P.S Games I play are Witcher 3, MGS5 and WoW.

The 390X is a hot card so start however this is a little too hot. You could try reapplying the thermal compound on the chip.

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

Asus, what do you expect? Their coolers are terrible and don't even make proper contact.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, TheRandomness said:

The strix cooler doesn't cool the VRAM and VRMs iirc.

is that just for amd side of strix because my 780 does really well with the strix cooler. also to op you may need to turn down some of the settings on your games and set a custom fan curve so that when it hits 50 or 60 degrees the fans kick in 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

The 390X is a hot card so start however this is a little too hot. You could try reapplying the thermal compound on the chip.

It's the cooler. It was designed for the Fury and then slapped onto the 390(X) but since the Fury's die size is a lot bigger, 2 of the heatpipes don't end up making contact. Couple that with the abundance of TIM and you have a recipe for disaster.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

is that just for amd side of strix because my 780 does really well with the strix cooler. also to op you may need to turn down some of the settings on your games and set a custom fan curve so that when it hits 50 or 60 degrees the fans kick in 

Just for AMD.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Yes but why I didnt have this problem earlier? The GPU was bought on August 20125.

7 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The strix cooler doesn't cool the VRAM and VRMs iirc.

according to asus' site, their 390x does cool the VRM but not VRAM (vram cooling not necessary)

although, the previous 290 dcu2 i believe did not have vrm cooling

@xmitakos could be dust maybe

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Just for AMD.

Correction - it's for Maxwell and GCN 1.1 and above only. Kepler and GCN 1.0 coolers were stellar

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Asus, what do you expect? Their coolers are terrible and don't even make proper contact.

How about flaming a little less and reading a little more

"temperatures used to be 73-75C"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

How about flaming a little less and reading a little more

"temperatures used to be 73-75C"

Probably was under less stress.

2 minutes ago, xmitakos said:

Hi guys I have overheating issues with my GPU Asus strix 390X OC 

My system is this 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/xaris/saved/#view=464H99

I have downloaded all new drivers, even fix patch for crimson and I get temperatures of 90C ++

Tried to use manual use for the fans, I ended up with terrible noise just to have temperatures of about 83C-85C.

Any ideas of what to do?

How can i fix this problem? Temperatures used to be 73-75C ....

Thank you all in advance for any tips

Best to all!!!

P.S Games I play are Witcher 3, MGS5 and WoW.

Don't know if your still inside the warranty but if you are id just send it back and let them deal with it. IF NOT, they might of f-ed up on the thermal paste when installing the cooler and its not transferring the heat from the GPU chip to the cooler properly. If its out of warranty and your willing to, you could pull the cooler and look at/ replace the thermal paste. Guess you could of got a faulty cooler as well but that seems even more unlikely. In either case if you are out of warranty id still try calling Asus first and see if they will do something about it anyways. Had a Asus ROG laptop and the hard drive took a shit and it was out of warranty, they still took it back and replaced it for me. Other than those two things i cant think of why you cant get it to stay cooler, unless your running some crazy OC on the card. Good Luck...

Basically the problem started after i downoloaded the latest drivers and the fix AMD issued 16.1 if I recall....

14 minutes ago, xmitakos said:

-snip-

Has anything been changed? case fans/fan config/settings?

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Probably was under less stress.

uh, no, just because its an AMD card with a strix cooler does not mean that 90+C temperatures are normal

go look at any benchmark of this card

temperature NEVER reach 90C

your "asus sucks" hate is not helping fix the problem

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

uh, no, just because its an AMD card with a strix cooler does not mean that 90+C temperatures are normal

go look at any benchmark of this card

temperature NEVER reach 90C

your "asus sucks" hate is not helping fix the problem

Changing TIM is all he can do really. Else, RMA the card

Nope I didnt change anything....I will try to contact ASUS first 

Just now, xmitakos said:

Good move, must make you aware though. My experience with Asus customer service was very poor. hope your's is better. They'll direct you to the GPU retailer first, so I think you should do that first

Just now, EdInk said:
2 minutes ago, xmitakos said:

Good move, must make you aware though. My experience with Asus customer service was very poor. hope your's is better. They'll direct you to the GPU retailer first, so I think you should do that first

Retailer service in Greece sucks my friend...So I will try directly first ASUS. Thing is problem started after last crimson patch. A friend of mine suggested i return to a previous version of crimson drivers buit I am an amateur builder and not a pro on pcs and I am kind of scared to mess up with BIOS. This is a hobby for me...

Crimson doesn't change the BIOS on the card...crimson's just a driver so reverting to a previous driver won't mess up anything

10 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Correction - it's for Maxwell and GCN 1.1 and above only. Kepler and GCN 1.0 coolers were stellar

so pretty much just dcu3 coolers have the issues? also what is gcn?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

7 minutes ago, xmitakos said:

Did you try rolling back to the previous driver? I would do that first to determine if it is a hardware or software issue.

If hardware, and unable to RMA, could always try to watercool...

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

so pretty much just dcu3 coolers have the issues? also what is gcn?

Not really. GCN is AMD's current architecture. It has 3 iterations - 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2. The original Asus designs were rock solid (7000 series) and the whole of Kepler (600/700 series) BUT the 900 series coolers are quite poor and the R9 200/300 series as well.