[RANT] My school is retarded...

flibberdipper
On 2/19/2016 at 0:13 PM, Heesleemer said:

1. you are using the word "retarted" 

2. I'm going to be that guy and say you actually did put yourself in the hole. 
3. Glad that you seem to be actually taking a role in figuring things out now. 
4. You could always just study and take the GED rather than High School
5. Summer courses at another public school

To people bashing the education system in the US.

Yes the US has pretty lopsided system, similar to our wage gap (actually very much correlated since school funding is dependent property tax within the district..) a public school education varies greatly depending on the area. For example, in California, LA's education greatly differs from parts of Orange County, etc. Both the highest schools and the lowest schools are probably within the US. 

Agreed I mean honestly why should they try if someone in there school hasn't tried :S put himself in this situation.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

18 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

[removed]

Calm down bud, 

"Algebra II, woo-hoo), and barely know what to do in Physics. Last year I had no idea what I was doing in Geometry, and just guessed on all the tests in Chemistry and didn't do the homework, again, not knowing what the fuck to do."

Algebra 2 is based on Algebra 1, so a lack of geometry shouldn't be too much of an issue, same thing with physics and chemistry (although it does help)

With that said, what's your schedule like? just curious. 

Edited by Godlygamer23
Removed quote(post was removed).

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Let's keep this thread peaceful and avoid an argument over nothing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you did/do not understand the subject then get help.

If the school is not able to provide you the help you needed then ask your parents.

If they were not able to help you then you and your parents need to find others who can.

There are countless paid and free resources online for all the normal school subjects and the only thing that is needed is your willingness to seek them out and to learn.

Don't just sit here blaming others, take the intuitive, work with anyone you can and find the help you need.

You are the first and largest factor in your education and you need to take responsibility and work at getting and keeping your education on track.

1 hour ago, Heesleemer said:

Calm down bud, 

"Algebra II, woo-hoo), and barely know what to do in Physics. Last year I had no idea what I was doing in Geometry, and just guessed on all the tests in Chemistry and didn't do the homework, again, not knowing what the fuck to do."

Algebra 2 is based on Algebra 1, so a lack of geometry shouldn't be too much of an issue, same thing with physics and chemistry (although it does help)

With that said, what's your schedule like? just curious. 

In order:

World History (alright subject, but our long term sub is a bit of an idiot, if I do say so myself)

Algebra I pt. 2 (honestly my 2nd favorite class because I know most of the content were going over so far)

Physics (understand basis but then formulas come in and I get rekt)

*lunch*

Algebra II (teacher RUSHES through content, doesn't explain, and doesn't explain well when she actually does)

English 11 (favorite because the teacher is freaking awesome)

English 9 online (nothing exceptional here

I guess you could say that by the time I get to my worst class, I'm just burned out on math, but I legitimately just can not grasp the concepts and such.

33 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

If you did/do not understand the subject then get help.

If the school is not able to provide you the help you needed then ask your parents.

If they were not able to help you then you and your parents need to find others who can.

There are countless paid and free resources online for all the normal school subjects and the only thing that is needed is your willingness to seek them out and to learn.

Don't just sit here blaming others, take the intuitive, work with anyone you can and find the help you need.

You are the first and largest factor in your education and you need to take responsibility and work at getting and keeping your education on track.

I HAVE asked for help. My brain for whatever reason simply is not able to understand the concepts of the subjects that I have to deal with. I'm pretty sure I've stated that before.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

7 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

In order:

World History (alright subject, but our long term sub is a bit of an idiot, if I do say so myself)

Algebra I pt. 2 (honestly my 2nd favorite class because I know most of the content were going over so far)

Physics (understand basis but then formulas come in and I get rekt)

*lunch*

Algebra II (teacher RUSHES through content, doesn't explain, and doesn't explain well when she actually does)

English 11 (favorite because the teacher is freaking awesome)

English 9 online (nothing exceptional here

I guess you could say that by the time I get to my worst class, I'm just burned out on math, but I legitimately just can not grasp the concepts and such.

I HAVE asked for help. My brain for whatever reason simply is not able to understand the concepts of the subjects that I have to deal with. I'm pretty sure I've stated that before.

I mean your day schedule, beyond school. I highly recommend physically reading the algebra 2 book, and the physics. 
and do extra problems during the work.. which will take at least an hour or two more, but very much recommended

as "douchey" as it may sound, math is actually a learned skill rather than an innate one. Some do have a harder time, but there is no glass ceiling on mathematics.... and this is coming from a social science major har har har

You have lunch in between, 20-30 mins? 
Now looking at what you wrote on rushing lectures - how are your classmates doing. 
Crashcourse has a great physics series coming up, based on the AP physics curriculum. 

What parts of physics are you struggling? newtonian? electrical? (i dont think you will be doing relativity stuff)  

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

On 2/19/2016 at 1:23 AM, Citadelen said:

That's the US education system for you, if it can even be called education...

Yeah. It's fucked up. I have to take my SATs even though I'm american just because i've never been to a school in america in my life (all this for the possibility of Uni placements)

On 2/20/2016 at 11:23 AM, tmcclelland455 said:

Talking to teacher, tutors, friends that can make me learn anything, and then Khan Academy and YouTube as a last resort , and nothing seems to be working for me so far.

Try udemy. it's not super cheap but it's not super expensive either. It's quality learning for a lot of stuff which is all the way from free to $200 a course. 

On 2/20/2016 at 2:02 PM, Mathematical said:

How exactly have you tried to learn the material without help? Help is only there to clarify the parts that you do not understand, not to teach you everything. People can learn things much faster learning things themselves by reading it themselves and following the steps. Nobody wants to help someone who is not willing to put forth the effort in learning something. That means that you read the book and try to learn the material. Come to the people with questions even before hand. You must understand some concept of the material. 

Describe the typical school week for me. Your school day with classes, activities, hanging out with friends, homework, studying, etc. and how much time you spend on each thing.

I find it very difficult to believe you get that much help and it is all 'so shit' that you still can not understand the material. It is either you are not putting forth enough effort or you are mentally handicapped. I do not think you are mentally handicapped, so I will believe it is effort. You probably do not understand how much work it is for a non genius to compete in a competitive academic environment. Your school allows you to pass probably because there are quotas on how many students need to pass.

I really think you just do not know what hard work really entails in an academic environment. When you study do not have any distractions like your phone, computer, music, friends, etc. and focus purely on your task. You need to read the book (yes, I know you do not ACTUALLY read the book). Reading a math book means you read everything and follow all the steps.... every step and do it yourself before hand and then check for mistakes afterwards and find out why you made those mistakes. Yes it is alot of work, but if you want to succeed you do it or you fail.

You either work hard now when you are young and easily make hundreds of thousand dollars a year salary or perhaps more or you work hard the rest of your life making little pay for potentially non-fulfilling work and pray you have dumb luck and win the lottery or something to escape living paycheck to paycheck. There are lots of people who regret not trying hard enough in school.

I'm gonna have to disagree. There are 3 of my teachers who aren't exactly "teaching" me too much. One is kinda lazy and does the minimum he has to but he's head of department. Another is lazy, not helpful, not understanding, not even the ability to make up their mind and the last is somewhat helpful, somewhat understanding but he still doesn't help too much.

On 2/20/2016 at 3:01 PM, agentagent47 said:

in school, it's all about passing. that is what i learn in school. we don't need those algebra and triangle that we learn so much that we thought it was iluminati's fault we learn triangle.

it's all about passing. these day, social status is rated much higher than your education. sad but true IMO. even if we need them when we are in college, we will re-visit/re learn the whole thing again.

I use math a lot of the time when i do programming(it's a hobby not a job but it should still apply).

I use math in my engineering and business classes. All the time. Especially stuff like Pythagoras and Sin Cos Tan.

On 2/20/2016 at 11:35 AM, Overkilled said:

The British education isn't bad tbh

Having spent my whole academic life in British education i completely agree. It's actually quite nice.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

You admitted yourself that it's your fault that you're struggling so therefore you should rectify your mistakes by doing work, and doing it well.

Geometry and Physics both aren't too difficult once you've got the hang of it. I can do Trigonometry without thinking and I haven't done it in 5 years.

I'm going to go ahead and play devil's advocate and recommend that you figure out what you want to do with your life and focus on that. It's not the best advice for most but maybe you'll be like me and find out school is a waste of time and you can earn a lot without it (but on the flip side you can be like some of my classmates and get your GED and then live on $50k a year working a non-fulfilling job).

-KuJoe

American Schooling system?

To be fair - it's your fault more than the schools. My school (at least the one I went to before graduating) would instantly pick up on struggling students and try to guide them to self improve (as we were non-selective, but still a Private Elite school - you dont kick kids out of a $2000/mo+ school). 

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Try udemy. it's not super cheap but it's not super expensive either. It's quality learning for a lot of stuff which is all the way from free to $200 a course. 

As it is rig ht now I'll be going with an online school that I've had experience with (summer retakes), and if that course was any indication, I think I should in theory be doing fine. :/

2 hours ago, Mug said:

You admitted yourself that it's your fault that you're struggling so therefore you should rectify your mistakes by doing work, and doing it well.

Geometry and Physics both aren't too difficult once you've got the hang of it. I can do Trigonometry without thinking and I haven't done it in 5 years.

And therein lies the problem. I don't get the hang of it. I might be able to, if there were no formulas involved. But there are. So there's a problem. 

2 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I'm going to go ahead and play devil's advocate and recommend that you figure out what you want to do with your life and focus on that. It's not the best advice for most but maybe you'll be like me and find out school is a waste of time and you can earn a lot without it (but on the flip side you can be like some of my classmates and get your GED and then live on $50k a year working a non-fulfilling job).

I've already more or less figured out a general direction (something computer-y, go figure), but as for a direct thing, I haven't decided. Whenever I start to look around to see which area of work has good jobs (that are actually available), I start to go all ADHD and do other things and then I never get the job done.

Which sucks, because on a couple of the CompTIA A+ cert. tests I've managed to get 80% and above relatively easily.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

On 2/19/2016 at 11:46 AM, tmcclelland455 said:

/rant

Junior in Algebra 2?

is this normal lol?

But it isn't up to the school to succeed it is up to you.

You need to make it happen.

@tmcclelland455

Many suggestions have been made, You have already taken the first step to admit something is wrong. Now it is time to admit you are your own problem, but you have admitted partial blame already. My biggest suggestion to you is to get with your parents and discuss what has been going on, they will be your biggest supporters even though at first their reaction may not seem like it. Then make a decision on what needs to be done. Look up the possible options you have available. Then you need to decide to apply yourself to get caught up in your studies and do what needs to be done. A good or even a decent education is nothing to scoff at (you apparently already know or realized this). At this point its time to stop focusing on what happened and start focusing on what is to come and make the goal you want and stick to it.

*Personal note: I had the same thing happen to me but my parents noticed it as well but earlier on about the 5/6th grade and started homeschooling me in the 7th grade. It saved me and I have zero regrets for them having done it.

Private Schooling - May or may not be a good option as the school may put you in a tutor class to get you caught up to their standard and these can sometimes be difficult.

Private Tutoring - This may be your best bet as a tutor will help push you forward.

Homeschooling - This most likely will not help you now as it requires you to be more self motivated and self driven in your studies even though it could be the most advantageous if you applied yourself. It has a better way of self paced learning but it requires more of yourself to do it.

I hope this helps.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

MURICA!

My solution is to cut myself from my computer during my rigid study schedule. I recommend doing the same.

I found out that 1 year of tuition in the US can get you two degrees in germany including living costs.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

MURICA!

I found out that 1 year of tuition in the US can get you two degrees in germany including living costs.

The cost of college is not consistent throughout the world, your making an unfair comparison and adding nothing to the discussion.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

The cost of college is not consistent throughout the world, your making an unfair comparison and adding nothing to the discussion.

Yes it is not. But how is it an unfair comparison? You can go to university (college) for alot less if you can just be accepted outside the USA. Which shows how broken your system is.

Also mind waiting 3 minutes before quoting me? I do alot of edits within the first couple of minutes.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

Yes it is not. But how is it an unfair comparison? You can go to university (college) for alot less if you can just be accepted outside the USA.

Provided he is able to get a passport, the  student visa is applied for and approved and the parents are willing to send him.

Not being negative but he has other options to look to that are very low cost and just as effective where he lives. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Provided he is able to get a passport, the  student visa is applied for and approved and the parents are willing to send him.

Not being negative but he has other options to look to that are very low cost and just as effective where he lives. 

At that point he would be 18 meaning the parents should not be able to stop him. (unless of course they bar him from using the money saved up for university). What are the other options? Dont say community college.

10 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

At that point he would be 18 meaning the parents should not be able to stop him. (unless of course they bar him from using the money saved up for university). What are the other options? Dont say community college.

Why not community college? My brother and both did our first 2 years at a community college, same level of education with less cost. So much better.

But anyhow, even though at 18 he will still need to get the other 2 things and they aren't the easiest to get nor that hard but whatever at this point. College is beyond him anyhow by his own admission he struggles severely so no or few colleges US or Non-US will take him but Community Colleges anyhow.

If the OP decided to do a turn around get his a** in gear and get caught in the next few (I dont know his age) years or so then he will have a shot.

Right now talking about College is out of the question. Lets stay on topic and give suggestions relevant to the OPs situation in helping him get up to speed in his current level of educational needs. You are jumping ahead a bit.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

come to England instead where they care more about if your shirt is tucked in and your ties done up than they do about teaching you.

I lurk a lot

1 hour ago, tmcclelland455 said:

And therein lies the problem. I don't get the hang of it. I might be able to, if there were no formulas involved. But there are. So there's a problem

Do you want some help with it? Is it trig or more difficult stuff?

8 minutes ago, peej said:

come to England instead where they care more about if your shirt is tucked in and your ties done up than they do about teaching you.

Ah, those were the days! When you have a job you'll miss them too.

ngl I was one of the ones who could count on their fingers the number of times I wore the uniform correctly.

10 minutes ago, Mug said:

ngl I was one of the ones who could count on their fingers the number of times I wore the uniform correctly.

don't worry i'm out of school now and yeah i was the same i could probably count it on one hand 

I lurk a lot

16 minutes ago, Mug said:

It's Algebra II and Physics... But as it is my online stuff should serve well so... Yeah.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Algebra II is a B%^&*. Most useless class I ever took, but if you're like me you have a really nice teacher to stay after nearly every day with and it works wonders.

Yeah USA education system is a joke, so vote Bernie.

9 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

so vote Bernie.

No.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER