Federal judge FORCES Apple to help FBI decrypt San Bernardino killers iPhone 5C

13CA350

I'm sure the people who live by or knows of people who were hurt by this terrorist attack is really happy that Apple is taking this stand against the FBI. Sometimes I think the common sense of some people is turned off. If you were hurt in anyway from this terrorist attack you would want to make sure that EVERYONE involved received justice. Also, wouldn't you want to make sure to prevent any future attacks of this nature? This is not a traffic stop or someone who was caught with drugs, this was a TERRORIST attack.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

9 minutes ago, syoumans54 said:

I'm sure the people who live by or knows of people who were hurt by this terrorist attack is really happy that Apple is taking this stand against the FBI. Sometimes I think the common sense of some people is turned off. If you were hurt in anyway from this terrorist attack you would want to make sure that EVERYONE involved received justice. Also, wouldn't you want to make sure to prevent any future attacks of this nature? This is not a traffic stop or someone who was caught with drugs, this was a TERRORIST attack.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserves neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin.

Creating these tools now means that when the threat of radical terrorism is over, then they'll turn these tools, as they have proven they will - on their own people.  It's best to not give them access to the capability to decrypt the devices.  I agree  with @dalekphalm from earlier in the thread.  Apple should decrypt it themselves and then turn it over to the FBI, but not give them the tool of mass decryption. 

2 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserves neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin.

Creating these tools now means that when the threat of radical terrorism is over, then they'll turn these tools, as they have proven they will - on their own people.  It's best to not give them access to the capability to decrypt the devices.  I agree  with @dalekphalm from earlier in the thread.  Apple should decrypt it themselves and then turn it over to the FBI, but not give them the tool of mass decryption. 

This was during a time when there were Tyrants and Dictators ruling the world... He had no idea of the future weapons and attacks that were going to occur in the future. I don't care if Apple flashes the firmware themselves and then sends it back to them, but for Apple not wanting to help in general makes me sick.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

21 minutes ago, syoumans54 said:

Compromise your own security in the hopes that there actually is anything on this device? What happens if the FBI determines absolutely nothing on it, and we have now given up our own right to privacy? Lose lose for the citizen of the United States. 

Also, is the U.S. Government is allowed to enforce such policies, what about if China creates (or has) a law identical to such and they would like to do the same. Does Apple have to abide by them as well? This is creating a massive problem for Apple, and puts them in a massive tight spot.

5 minutes ago, Stuff_ said:

Compromise your own security in the hopes that there actually is anything on this device? What happens if the FBI determines absolutely nothing on it, and we have now given up our own right to privacy? Lose lose for the citizen of the United States. 

Also, is the U.S. Government is allowed to enforce such policies, what about if China creates (or has) a law identical to such and they would like to do the same. Does Apple have to abide by them as well? This is creating a massive problem for Apple, and puts them in a massive tight spot.

How am I compromising my own security? I'm not a terrorist, I'm not going to perform a terrorist attack. If they find nothing, they find nothing. But if they find something that's fantastic. If you want to sell in a different country, then you must follow that country's rules. If you don't like the rules, then don't sell there. Apple has more than enough lawyers to keep up with each law. You're assuming a lot by saying everyone now has no privacy. This is a one case scenario, please show me where this is now going to happen to everyone. Please let me know how you would feel about Apple if you were affected by this terrorist attack.

I really like how you're trying to make Apple the victim in all of this at the very end.

38 minutes ago, syoumans54 said:

Justice isn't justice if it isn't just.  What you're speaking of is vengeance.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 minute ago, syoumans54 said:

How am I compromising my own security? I'm not a terrorist, I'm not going to perform a terrorist attack. If they find nothing, they find nothing. But if they find something that's fantastic. If you want to sell in a different country, then you must follow that country's rules. If you don't like the rules, then don't sell there. Apple has more than enough lawyers to keep up with each law. You're assuming a lot by saying everyone now has no privacy. This is a one case scenario, please show me where this is now going to happen to everyone. Please let me know how you would feel about Apple if you were affected by this terrorist attack.

I really like how you're trying to make Apple the victim in all of this at the very end.

You better believe the FBI wants a way to potentially unlock EVERY phone. They don't want it to stop at this lone case, the bigger picture is for them to have an easy way to intrude into any device that falls into their hands. 

You're compromising your own security, because if at one point you are DEEMED a terrorist (have you never researched how many people are on a terrorist watch list? It's unreal) and the FBI gets your phone, they are free to brute force your pass-code and intrude upon your privacy. Warrant or not, they can do it simply because the method is available. 

Your device simply has lost a substantial amount of security by removing a 10-attempt limitation.

2 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Justice isn't justice if it isn't just.  What you're speaking of is vengeance.

How would it be vengeance? How is punishing those involved in a terrorist attack vengeance?

47 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

So interestingly enough, Apple doesn't claim for it to be impossible like they keep telling the public. Instead they're now saying that doing so could put other users at risk if the modified firmware is used for bad intentions or gets into the wrong hands.

That's total Bullshit. Apple tried to convince its users that it can't decrypt or modify firmware, yet Apple is now saying it's dangerous to do so. Meaning: Apple knows of an way to actually make it happen. They're just pushing back.

From what I have heard, Apple never claimed that it was "impossible" for them to decrypt your phone.

What Apple claimed were:

1) The core encryption is as near to unbreakable as you can get.

2) Apple may supply the device and system but if they don't have that key they're not able to unlock it any more than the US state department.

Both of these statements are entirely true. AES, which the encryption used in iOS is based on, is pretty much impossible to break. If you want to look at content encrypted with AES then you need the key. End of story. Apple does not have a special way of obtaining the key. If Apple wanted your key then they would have to do the same thing the NSA/FBI/Average_Joe would need to do.

Apple never said anything about modifying the firmware (and we are still not sure if that is actually possible), and they really can't decrypt the phone without the password (and they don't have any secret method of obtaining it).

But surely the FBI got the resources to make copies of the phone. Even if it auto erases they can just keep going with another copy of it.

3 minutes ago, syoumans54 said:

How would it be vengeance? How is punishing those involved in a terrorist attack vengeance?

They still need to be within the bounds of the law.  A judge here is trying to make up his own laws and coerce apple into giving in.  I'm not even American and I'm not okay with that.  Catching terrorists is great.  Compelling apple to comply with their red herring is not.  There are many other means by which the fbi can figure out what was up with this guy.  Subpoenas and warrants for email records, phone records, etc all worked in every other case, I can't think of a good reason they'd suddenly need access to the phone itself.  They can already get call history and email info.  They're not trying to make a case against him.  They're fishing for info on hopes and dreams they'll find something useful.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2 hours ago, Stuff_ said:

You better believe the FBI wants a way to potentially unlock EVERY phone. They don't want it to stop at this lone case, the bigger picture is for them to have an easy way to intrude into any device that falls into their hands. 

You're compromising your own security, because if at one point you are DEEMED a terrorist (have you never researched how many people are on a terrorist watch list? It's unreal) and the FBI gets your phone, they are free to brute force your pass-code and intrude upon your privacy. Warrant or not, they can do it simply because the method is available. 

Your device simply has lost a substantial amount of security by removing a 10-attempt limitation.

Proof please that the FBI wants a way to unlock every phone? I'm sure the US government is going to go around and collect everyone's guns, and then they'll do another sweep to get everyone's phones. I'm sure laptops and tablets are next. Then they'll put GPS trackers on every car to make sure they know where everyone is going. For my device to lose the 10 attempt limit it would have to be out of my possession to begin with. For that to happen, I would already would have been detained by the FBI, and my phone password would be the least of my worries at that point.

1 hour ago, Yoinkerman said:

They still need to be within the bounds of the law.  A judge here is trying to make up his own laws and coerce apple into giving in.  I'm not even American and I'm not okay with that.  Catching terrorists is great.  Compelling apple to comply with their red herring is not.  There are many other means by which the fbi can figure out what was up with this guy.  Subpoenas and warrants for email records, phone records, etc all worked in every other case, I can't think of a good reason they'd suddenly need access to the phone itself.  They can already get call history and email info.  They're not trying to make a case against him.  They're fishing for info on hopes and dreams they'll find something useful.

Your response is just full of assumptions. You're assuming that justice wouldn't be within the bounds of the law. You're assuming that they have everything they need because they have phone and email records. So why the double standard here? Why is it alright to look at email and call records in cases like this? Why is it alright for them to check what they have on computers? Why is it alright for them to investigate everything except the phone data itself? What makes the phone so special compared to everything else?

48 minutes ago, syoumans54 said:

Fun fact: People who make decisions based on emotions are usually irrational and illogical. It reminds me of the response I got when I said I was against the death penalty.

"But if someone killed your family wouldn't you want the murderer to get executed?"

I probably would, but that would be the irrational me making decisions based on anger instead of logic. That's why you shouldn't ask people who have been affected what the best course of action is. Ask the people who got a clear mind and can think of the benefits and drawbacks of each option. Drawbacks such as, what if it is used on innocent people?

2 minutes ago, syoumans54 said:

Proof please that the FBI wants a way to unlock every phone?

Many politicians have already said they want to outlaw encryption for everyone.

6 minutes ago, syoumans54 said:

I'm sure the US government is going to go around and collect everyone's guns, and then they'll do another sweep to get everyone's phones. I'm sure laptops and tablets are next.

They wouldn't have to go around and collect things physically. They have systems in place to do mass surveillance remotely.

1 minute ago, syoumans54 said:

Your response is just full of assumptions. You're assuming that justice wouldn't be within the bounds of the law. You're assuming that they have everything they need because they have phone and email records. So why the double standard here? Why is it alright to look at email and call records in cases like this? Why is it alright for them to check what they have on computers? Why is it alright for them to investigate everything except the phone data itself? What makes the phone so special compared to everything else?

I didn't say it was alright.  There are already mechanisms in place that have been in place for a long time to get phone records and email records.  There clearly isn't one for breaking into iPhones.  We should really be careful about setting a new precedent for that mechanism.  And "because terrorism" isn't enough for me in this particular case.  The guy is already dead.  There is no immediate need for the information.

6 minutes ago, syoumans54 said:

Proof please that the FBI wants a way to unlock every phone? I'm sure the US government is going to go around and collect everyone's guns, and then they'll do another sweep to get everyone's phones. I'm sure laptops and tablets are next. Then they'll put GPS trackers on every car to make sure they know where everyone is going. For my device to lose the 10 attempt limit it would have to be out of my possession to begin with. For that to happen, I would already would have been detained by the FBI, and my phone password would be the least of my worries at that point.

Proof you ask? Well, perhaps the FBI wasn't in on it, but the NSA would love (and potentially has) backdoors into everything (this is proven). The FBI likely wouldn't be far behind, since we're moving towards everything being encrypted (mostly).

Okay, fine. Let us remove the FBI. Let's assume now someone very, very nefarious, have obtained your device. Now, they want to get inside of it, but they cannot. Alas, they remember that Apple removed the 10-attempt limitation and the only limitation is their computing power. Lucky for them, they have an extremely powerful computer that can handle the attempts extremely quickly.

Your device is vulnerable to being breached, and your data.. well, whatever that nefarious person wants to do with it, they can. 

My point is, we want to take precise measures and precautions when deciding these type of things. Any decision is likely to have a long after-effect. Which decision Apple decides to attempt (or do) will determine a course of action for the future. It would only be a matter of time before the FBI (government) also now wants Google to comply to the same regulations, and heck, why not everything. 

4 minutes ago, Stuff_ said:

Proof you ask? Well, perhaps the FBI wasn't in on it, but the NSA would love (and potentially has) backdoors into everything (this is proven). The FBI likely wouldn't be far behind, since we're moving towards everything being encrypted (mostly).

Okay, fine. Let us remove the FBI. Let's assume now someone very, very nefarious, have obtained your device. Now, they want to get inside of it, but they cannot. Alas, they remember that Apple removed the 10-attempt limitation and the only limitation is their computing power. Lucky for them, they have an extremely powerful computer that can handle the attempts extremely quickly.

Your device is vulnerable to being breached, and your data.. well, whatever that nefarious person wants to do with it, they can. 

My point is, we want to take precise measures and precautions when deciding these type of things. Any decision is likely to have a long after-effect. Which decision Apple decides to attempt (or do) will determine a course of action for the future. It would only be a matter of time before the FBI (government) also now wants Google to comply to the same regulations, and heck, why not everything. 

So this stranger who obtained my phone, has already hacked the FBI as well to receive that custom firmware? Also, there have been no new IOS updates that would make that firmware incompatible and obsolete? Well I would say that evil mastermind is wasting his time with my phone, especially since it's the Nexus 6P.

Sounds like something I would watch on Pinky and the Brain back in the day.

2 minutes ago, syoumans54 said:

So this stranger who obtained my phone, has already hacked the FBI as well to receive that custom firmware? Also, there have been no new IOS updates that would make that firmware incompatible and obsolete? Well I would say that evil mastermind is wasting his time with my phone, especially since it's the Nexus 6P.

Sounds like something I would watch on Pinky and the Brain back in the day.

This entire discussion feeds DIRECTLY into the hands of the government, and it's agencies, that would LOVE for encryption to be outlawed (except for themselves, of course). 

I can tell you don't have any background knowledge on cryptography, and why it's important.

1 hour ago, TroubleKlef said:

so we're throwing away the right to privacy on a maybe?

We're dealing with dangerous levels of precedent here. 

Who is throwing away their rights?  This is about a known terrorist who has mass murdered a group of people.  It is fact he has some connections to terrorist groups, they are trying to find what group it is and if there any other plans of attacks

I'm going to shoot right back at your statement on a maybe, you want to allow terrorist to run around and planning attacks on a maybe?

Just now, biggiebody said:

Who is throwing away their rights?  This is about a known terrorist who has mass murdered a group of people.  It is fact he has some connections to terrorist groups, they are trying to find what group it is and if there any other plans of attacks

I'm going to shoot right back at your statement on a maybe, you want to allow terrorist to run around and planning attacks on a maybe?

Terrible argument here, my friend.

You know, this won't stop with Apple, right? Encryption systems are (and should) become the norm, for OUR protection. If Apple and other massive tech companies don't try and protect the consumer, who will? Please don't say the Government.

Terrible argument here, my friend.

You know, this won't stop with Apple, right? Encryption systems are (and should) become the norm, for OUR protection. If Apple and other massive tech companies don't try and protect the consumer, who will? Please don't say the Government.

How is that a terrible argument

The argument was they should do it because he has "possible" connections to ISIS and not a fact, that same argument could be said about not letting government have access because they could "possibly" use it their own benefits.  Both statements are talking about possibility, but my statements is about a guy who is a certified terrorist.  We're not talking about some random dude that was walking down the street.

Also I think you're understanding me wrong, I'm not saying give the government all the power to decrypt our phones.  I agree with what another poster about saying let Apple do it and give the information that they need.

Just now, biggiebody said:

How is that a terrible argument

The argument was they should do it because he has "possible" connections to ISIS and not a fact, that same argument could be said about not letting government have access because they could "possibly" use it their own benefits.  Both statements are talking about possibility, but my statements is about a guy who is a certified terrorist.  We're not talking about some random dude that was walking down the street.

Also I think you're understanding me wrong, I'm not saying give the government all the power to decrypt our phones.  I agree with what another poster about saying let Apple do it and give the information that they need.

It's not a "possibility" with the government, as Snowden showed us. It is a reality. This was the NSA, but please don't think the FBI will have something the NSA would not have. 

Apple won't be able to provide them with any information, though. At best, they will allow the FBI to attempt an unlimited amount of password attempts. 

Decryption of the data is not any more possible from Apple as it would be from the FBI themselves. 

As important as national security is... I'm not entirely willing to give the Russians/Chinese/angry Peruvian hackers/and or tech savvy hacker grandma a free pass into my personal life on the off chance it might stop a terrorist somewhere sometime.  A "backdoor" will be found by someone else, and it will be used by someone else for purposes that likely aren't going to make my life happy or secure.  

If its from a court order and on a case by case basis im fine with it.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It's not a "possibility" with the government, as Snowden showed us. It is a reality. This was the NSA, but please don't think the FBI will have something the NSA would not have. 

Apple won't be able to provide them with any information, though. At best, they will allow the FBI to attempt an unlimited amount of password attempts. 

Decryption of the data is not any more possible from Apple as it would be from the FBI themselves. 

So you're fine with terrorist walking around without a care in the world because the government may or may not do something to infringe on our privacy.  As of right now the government is just trying to get access to the terrorists phone.

People bitched and wine about government not doing enough when 9/11 happened and people bitch and wine when government tries to prevent more attacks.  I in no way trust government, but giving access to a known terrorists phone who has killed many people in cold blood, than I say let them.  Yes it can open doors, but it can also prevent more mass murders.  I don't think people realize how dangerous these terrorist are, I mean no one expected 9/11 to happen or the Paris attack until it was too late.

2 minutes ago, biggiebody said:

So you're fine with terrorist walking around without a care in the world because the government may or may not do something to infringe on our privacy.  As of right now the government is just trying to get access to the terrorists phone.

People bitched and wine about government not doing enough when 9/11 happened and people bitch and wine when government tries to prevent more attacks.  I in no way trust government, but giving access to a known terrorists phone who has killed many people in cold blood, than I say let them.  Yes it can open doors, but it can also prevent more mass murders.  I don't think people realize how dangerous these terrorist are, I mean no one expected 9/11 to happen or the Paris attack until it was too late.

You're not "giving" them access to anything. I'm not agreeing with terrorists, like you're trying to paint me with. 

I'm about having the ability to have the secrecy and protection of your own personal things. 

There is no real way to "deal with" terrorists. Any method you choose will come down to compromise. I hate compromise. I'm not going to have my fully encrypted device now have the ability to be unlocked, and decrypted, simply because some terrorist used the same method of security as I. 

The people that mandate these requests are entirely ignorant about the subject to start. The politicians have NO BACKGROUND on cryptography, and they truly have no idea what it is, except it keeps them from getting inside someones stuff; which they don't like.

9 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

If its from a court order and on a case by case basis im fine with it.

The courts let the NSA do all their things. The public can't see all the things these agencies are doing. Give them tools the public doesn't want them to have and they will just go behind the public's back. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)