Federal judge FORCES Apple to help FBI decrypt San Bernardino killers iPhone 5C

13CA350

Original article: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/judge-apple-must-help-fbi-unlock-san-bernardino-shooters-iphone/

Apple press release: http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

On Tuesday, a federal judge in Riverside, California ordered Apple to help the government unlock and decrypt the iPhone 5C used by Syed Rizwan Farook, who shot up an office party in a terrorist attack in nearby San Bernardino in December 2015

Some may not remember this event. Just do a quick Google search for San Bernardino attacks and you will find more info.

Specifically, United States Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym mandated that Apple provide the FBI a custom firmware file, known as an IPSW file, that would likely enable investigators to brute force the passcode lockout currently on the phone, which is running iOS 9.

Now, I have mixed feelings on this. I do think that the attacker and all of his associates should be punished to the furthest extent possible for their actions. Carrying out a terrorist attack on innocent unsuspecting people deserves that.

However, I do not think that the government should force any company to decrypt anything. The article never mentions anything about Apple being reimbursed, so they're essentially being forced to lose money. And, Apple has already told the world that devices running iOS 8 and higher are "impossible" to decrypt and unlock. Read more about that here: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34591864 So unlocking it for the Feds would turn them into liars. I don't know how I feel about this. I'm sure you guys will have some good input too

========================

EDIT:

I just woke up and saw that Apple themselves have released a statement here: http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

This statement basically says that they will not create the software that the FBI has demanded that they create.

Specifically, the FBI wants us to make a new version of the iPhone operating system, circumventing several important security features, and install it on an iPhone recovered during the investigation. In the wrong hands, this software — which does not exist today — would have the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone’s physical possession.

And they even said it was wrong for the government to do so

While we believe the FBI’s intentions are good, it would be wrong for the government to force us to build a backdoor into our products

Edited by 13CA350

So much for a Federal Bureau of Investigation if they can't decrypt an Iphone password, Anyway, I don't think Apple should provide them with the file, however they should just decrypt it themselves.

Edit: Read the rest of the post. Yeah, I don't think apple should be forced to supply the FBI with the file, but once again, for the people who lost their lives, they should at least decrypt this phone

Spoiler

CPU: I7-4790k CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z97X-Gaming 3 

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866 16GB, (2x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte Geforce G1 Gaming 980Ti 

Case: NZXT Noctis 450 (Black/Red) Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracude 7200RPM 3TB 

PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold

I think as a gesture of good will, Apple should unlock the killers phone.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

I really IDC, I feel that if you apple has a way to get the encryption key and it is going to affect the public safety if the FBI doesn't get it, it should be given to the FBI. But saying that, the FBI shouldn't be able to decrypt anyones phone.

Apple has stated it's impossible for them to decrypt iOS 8+. Whether that is true or not? Only Apple knows for sure.

Personally, I feel that if court ordered (and technically feasible), Apple should decrypt the device themselves. The FBI should not get the means to decrypt things directly themselves.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So much for a Federal Bureau of Investigation if they can't decrypt an Iphone password, Anyway, I don't think Apple should provide them with the file, however they should just decrypt it themselves.

Edit: Read the rest of the post. Yeah, I don't think apple should be forced to supply the FBI with the file, but once again, for the people who lost their lives, they should at least decrypt this phone

I really IDC, I feel that if you apple has a way to get the encryption key and it is going to affect the public safety if the FBI doesn't get it, it should be given to the FBI. But saying that, the FBI shouldn't be able to decrypt anyones phone.

I wonder if they'll do it but tell the FBI to keep quiet about it. Then it'll be on the news that the FBI "suddenly decrypted" the phone

ISPs are already required to give the government all your internet data on demand by law anyway...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it sounds like they're fishing and trying to set a precedent with a "omg but hes a terrorist" case in order to get their foot in the door.

the offender is dead.  He can't be tried.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

BTW guys, this file apple has been ordered to provide doesn't decrypt the phone. All it does is change the unlock procedures so that the FBI won't get locked out while brute-forcing the password

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

9 minutes ago, carolkarine said:

BTW guys, this file apple has been ordered to provide doesn't decrypt the phone. All it does is change the unlock procedures so that the FBI won't get locked out while brute-forcing the password

Well it certainly begs the question, if Apple can rewrite the firmware to prevent lockout, then perhaps they could also rewrite the firmware to change the limitations of the encryption - eg: Force the device to output the encryption key stored in the hardware?

But I digress, none of us can say for certain what Apple could do with the right motivations.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I really hope it's impossible so they can't.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

We need LMG John to tell us if Apple legally had to decrypt the phone. 

Apple could appeal the order, but I doubt that would be the case. Unless they appeal, legally, they have to do what the court order mandates by the All Writs Act. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

16 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Apple could appeal the order, but I doubt that would be the case. Unless they appeal, legally, they have to do what the court order mandates by the All Writs Act.

What if it is impossible like Apple keeps saying? Can you be fined for not complying with an impossible court order?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

18 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

What if it is impossible like Apple keeps saying? Can you be fined for not complying with an impossible court order?

The court order doesn't ask Apple to decrypt the phone. It asks for Apple to flash the firmware so that there isn't an timeout period for bruteforcing the password, something which is possible to do. 

Apple isn't decrypting the device, but rather adjusting an firmware setting.

EDIT:

Apple also has 5 days to respond to the court order. If it isn't feasible, they have to prove to the court that is so.

Edited by ionbasa

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

9 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

it sounds like they're fishing and trying to set a precedent with a "omg but hes a terrorist" case in order to get their foot in the door.

the offender is dead.  He can't be tried.

My thoughts exactly.

It always begins with "Terrorism" or "won't somebody think of the children!".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Apple should just hook up like a single 486 based PC and tell em "Ok, we're working on it, it will be ready at one point between now and the next 342 trillion years"

That would be a good tactic.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Its their own device with their own software. They can any data off of it.

If law forces them to do so, then they probably will. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I am a lawyer, but this is not what I practice... BUT

Apple's issue is not that it is being asked to help bruteforce this phone, but that they are being asked to change ALL phones so that they can be brute forced by the government. 

Apples issue is that the fix (firmware update) that the FBI wants would affect every customer, not just this one. 

This might give a bit more info http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35594245

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

ISPs are already required to give the government all your internet data on demand by law anyway...

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

Yes, but there are easy ways around that. Theres no easy way to encrypt your own phone yourself

22 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Apple should just hook up like a single 486 based PC and tell em "Ok, we're working on it, it will be ready at one point between now and the next 342 trillion years"

Lol yea

10 minutes ago, Thony said:

Its their own device with their own software. They can any data off of it.

If law forces them to do so, then they probably will. 

Look at the OP. They said it's impossible

9 hours ago, ionbasa said:

The court order doesn't ask Apple to decrypt the phone. It asks for Apple to flash the firmware so that there isn't an timeout period for bruteforcing the password, something which is possible to do. 

Apple isn't decrypting the device, but rather adjusting an firmware setting.

EDIT:

Apple also has 5 days to respond to the court order. If it isn't feasible, they have to prove to the court that is so.

Them proving it isn't feasible is like telling politicians encryption is good for the world. These hot heads don't understand what they are messing with. They only hear terrorist and apple and think apple can stop terrorists. Honestly I hope Apple can't flash a firmware. Actually I want Apple to hand the fbi a new damn fine ware file, let the phone into DFU mode and flash the fucker clean. I get San whatever was a tragedy. But I'll be damned if I have to sacrifice my digital privacy and use of encryption because some unstable ass hole who was probably paid off by the govnerment anyway went on a shooting spree

I used to be the guy that said "if you don't have anything to hide then it shouldn't matter".

Now I've learned that things such as privacy are huge issues here in the US. Cook and Apple are correct in saying if Apple is indeed "forced" to create a back door then that would create huge legal precedents in terms of privacy. It would give not only the US government but anyone with basic knowledge of this backdoor free access to possibly any iPhone. And if I had to name the most dangerous entity (whether it be foreign nations, terrorists, etc) that could wield such power, I think I would pick the US government.

On the one hand I do feel this specific iPhone should be decrypted, on the other hand I agree with Apple that a backdoor that could potentially affect every iPhone is a horrible precedent.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W