Non-ECC Memory on ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS?

Sinakaru
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

No, non-ECC would not work. The board only supports Registered (buffered) ECC memory and LR-DIMM. Non-buffered RAM (like normal DIMM DDR3/4) is keyed different and flat out will not work. Unregistered (unbuffered) ECC RAM will also not work, as it shares the same keying as regular RAM. 

EDIT: There are a few sets of unregistered ECC RAM that seem to share the same keying as registered ECC, but I would just go for registered ECC to be safe. The fact that non-ECC will not work holds true. 

So i recently ordered the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS dual socket motherboard for an upcoming workstation build that I'm making, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with this board and non-ECC memory. ECC memory is much more expensive than comparable DDR4. Asus' website had a validated memory list for the board, but it only contains ECC memory.

I'm running two e5-26XX v3 Xeons if that helps at all.

Thanks for looking!

Xeons need ECC, NON-ECC probably won't work period. But the worse that'll happen is your board won't post, so you can try it, but I doubt it'll work

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

No, non-ECC would not work. The board only supports Registered (buffered) ECC memory and LR-DIMM. Non-buffered RAM (like normal DIMM DDR3/4) is keyed different and flat out will not work. Unregistered (unbuffered) ECC RAM will also not work, as it shares the same keying as regular RAM. 

EDIT: There are a few sets of unregistered ECC RAM that seem to share the same keying as registered ECC, but I would just go for registered ECC to be safe. The fact that non-ECC will not work holds true. 

31 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

Xeons need ECC, NON-ECC probably won't work period. But the worse that'll happen is your board won't post, so you can try it, but I doubt it'll work

Xeon work with both types, it depends on the board.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Yeah I read that later, but it doesn't seem to work with dual Xeons so I'm sticking with that my old post

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

Just now, HrutkayMods said:

Yeah I read that later, but it doesn't seem to work with dual Xeons so I'm sticking with that my old post

Dual xeon need ecc cause of the board.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Just now, HrutkayMods said:

Boards with dual CPUs and a lot of memory slots tend to only support registered ECC, as it lessens the load on the memory controllers and helps a lot with stability with a large amount of DIMMs. 

AFAIK, there are no dual socket boards that support non-ECC, but there may be some that work just fine with unregistered ECC. With this board, it seems to have to be registered ECC, though. 

Thank you all for your help! I picked up some Crucial DDR4 RDIMMs that are also ECC, so hopefully they work!

• 8 months later...

clearly poeple do not know what they are talking about, i use non memory in both my asus dual socket motherboards. the z9pa-d8, and the asus z10pe d16 (non ws), and i just bought the asus z10pe-d16 WS and i garuntee non ecc memory will work.

On 2/16/2016 at 9:24 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

clearly poeple do not know what they are talking about, i use non memory in both my asus dual socket motherboards. the z9pa-d8, and the asus z10pe d16 (non ws), and i just bought the asus z10pe-d16 WS and i garuntee non ecc memory will work.

On 2/16/2016 at 9:08 AM, Sinakaru said:

So i recently ordered the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS dual socket motherboard for an upcoming workstation build that I'm making, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with this board and non-ECC memory. ECC memory is much more expensive than comparable DDR4. Asus' website had a validated memory list for the board, but it only contains ECC memory.

I'm running two e5-26XX v3 Xeons if that helps at all.

Thanks for looking!

clearly poeple do not know what they are talking about, i use non memory in both my asus dual socket motherboards. the z9pa-d8, and the asus z10pe d16 (non ws), and i just bought the asus z10pe-d16 WS and i garuntee non ecc memory will work. so yes i see you already bought ECC dimms which i bet were expensive, but it would work with without.

9 minutes ago, johnwshek1218 said:

This thread is 8 months old. Really no point in replying to it now. 

But yes, looks like it will work, but only with one CPU from what I can tell. The overall suggestion on Asus's website, specs, QVL and FAQ is to use RDIMM or LR-DIMM ECC. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

This thread is 8 months old. Really no point in replying to it now. 

But yes, looks like it will work, but only with one CPU from what I can tell. The overall suggestion on Asus's website, specs, QVL and FAQ is to use RDIMM or LR-DIMM ECC. 

no it will work with both, both of my boards dimm slots are filled, and youre right but its irritating to see, idk both my boards work fine with dominator dimms ddr3, and i plan to put dom plats ddr4 in my new z10pe d16 ws, and i know itll work, so just letting my experience be known that both cpu's can be installed and still use regular dimms

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2016 at 8:47 AM, HrutkayMods said:

Memory Support.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2016 at 11:36 PM, johnwshek1218 said:

no it will work with both, both of my boards dimm slots are filled, and youre right but its irritating to see, idk both my boards work fine with dominator dimms ddr3, and i plan to put dom plats ddr4 in my new z10pe d16 ws, and i know itll work, so just letting my experience be known that both cpu's can be installed and still use regular dimms

I just got in my new Asus Z10PE-D16 WS im still waiting on my 2 Intel Xeon E5-2683 V3 to come in but i just realized i ordered 2 sets of CORSAIR 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 2133 NON-ECC ram when it came in. I know this post is old and i saw you have got the same board. I just wanted to find out if you have this board running with NON-ECC ram or should i send this back and find ECC ram.

• 7 months later...

Hi ppl

yep. is a old thread. but i have the same question

i got recently the z10pe-D8 and a pair of E5-2650-v4 cpus.

anyone can confirm with pics, cpuinfo or something if works non-ecc ram with this mobo?

@TravisW finally work for you the ram?

greetings

• 3 weeks later...

Did you find out CORSAIR 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 2133 NON-ECC ram works with asus zp10e- d8 ws