How to get aerospace related job?

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone had recommendations for certifications/school that would be good for doing something space related. It'd be really cool to even do the lowest form of technology related work for a group like NASA, SpaceX, Blue Origin, etc. Even the lowest entry level job.

Right now I'm a few months from finishing my Computer Science Bachelor's and I'm almost done getting my CompTIA A+. Any other recommendations from people in the field?

It'd be awesome doing on board, device installation/design on spacecraft, or like system administration in Mission Control or something like that...

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Just now, Prysin said:

Step 1: Education
Step 2: Apply for a aerospace related job

Step 3: accept a aerospace related job

step 4: ?????

step 5: Profit!

It's so simple it might just work!

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Im sure there are people you could email in the related areas who could point you in the right direction. Check the website im sure they will have an email listed somewhere,

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, berderder said:

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone had recommendations for certifications/school that would be good for doing something space related. It'd be really cool to even do the lowest form of technology related work for a group like NASA, SpaceX, Blue Origin, etc. Even the lowest entry level job.

Right now I'm a few months from finishing my Computer Science Bachelor's and I'm almost done getting my CompTIA A+. Any other recommendations from people in the field?

It'd be awesome doing on board, device installation/design on spacecraft, or like system administration in Mission Control or something like that...

Try it here: http://www.flyrockets.com/clubs.asp

go to space camp.

Take some/have taken some engineering classes. That should increase your chances by a bit. I'm only 14, so I can't really tell you much more than that because I myself don't understand how the real world works. But engineering classes would really help, I think.

Just now, Ronnie76 said:

go to space camp.

If they let adults into Space Camp I would

@Galaxy Could know

Edited by Castdeath97
Mentioned the wrong galaxy

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Nepotism seems to always work.

God bless America

1 minute ago, Mazeman03 said:

I saw this!!

1 minute ago, Mazeman03 said:

I saw this!!

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

@GaIaxy Could know

What's his background?

2 minutes ago, berderder said:

What's his background?

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/107351-gaiaxy/ He works on aircraft bulding, not sure if he knows much about other ariel jobs but ohh well.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

getting an internship might be helpful; I know both SpaceX and NASA have them. It would allow you to get a better idea of what they expect and probably also make them more likely to hire you (unless you screw up their rocket)

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

I applied for the graduate program and got a job within aerospace. Ultimately they are interested in taking the better students from the better universities but I didn't personally find it was much more complicated than applying. I didn't do anything specific any way to prepare me for it and they didn't seem to be selecting on the basis of interest in aerospace only aptitude to work on complex problems in teams.

while @Prysin worded it pretty crudely, thats mostlty what it comes down to, you get those jobs because you have the knowledge they require, or you dont get them because you dont have the knowledge they require.

I'm sure there are Comp Sci jobs available in the industry, I just never really looked since my degree is Aeronautical & Mechanical Engineering. My advice is go ask the Mechanical Engineering Professors (or Aero if there is a program at your university for it). Someone will most likely have a contact with someone in the industry they can give you. You could also look at graduate programs for electrical or computer engineering as that's probably a lot closer to your discipline compared to Mechanical Engineering.

As far as NASA goes, applications for all federal government jobs are submitted through usajobs.gov. Seems the best way to get into there is through their internship and undergraduate research programs. I had a few classmates that did research at NASA Langley and one friend that landed a job at Johnson Space Center through this program for example.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/education/internships/#.VsDFLfkrKUk

The other way is to get other industry experience for a few years then apply for a job later on. Biggest piece of advice is to be persistant. Had a friend land a job at Boeing through the contacts our Aero professor and by bugging them a lot haha.