CPU riser?

Trey222

This is a very strange question but I will ask it anyways. The question being will a CPU still work if I were to make a CPU riser. I have not made the CPU riser yet but if I do it will connect all the CPU pads to all the socket pins. I would kinda be like a PCI-E riser. Sorry if this is confusing  I was not really sure how to ask this. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

For what reason would you do this? And how would you make your own riser?

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

theoretically, its possible, but no saying if it would work

Never seen/heard it done before, not sure how you'd mount the heatsink ontop of that...

I would love to see that and see howd you would cool it. It might actually look awesome. Also seeing 1000 or so pins connected to a crap load of wires would be funny to see

Theoretically, I guess it would work. Is it a good idea? Maybe. I'd give it a shot if you have the resources.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

Just now, tp95112 said:

I would love to see that and see howd you would cool it. It might actually look awesome. Also seeing 1000 or so pins connected to a crap load of wires would be funny to see

Maybe he will make a 100ft riser and just make the CPU float on a pool outside of his house lol.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

Just now, Badazzz said:

Maybe he will make a 100ft riser and just make the CPU float on a pool outside of his house lol.

Or make it so that its upside down and just the heatspreader touches the water

4 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

This is a very strange question but I will ask it anyways. The question being will a CPU still work if I were to make a CPU riser. I have not made the CPU riser yet but if I do it will connect all the CPU pads to all the socket pins. I would kinda be like a PCI-E riser. Sorry if this is confusing  I was not really sure how to ask this. 

The main issue I would see with this is latency or inference problems since they specifically design traces on the board to be a certain lengths and even create extra turns if needed to make some longer. 

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

inb4 someone goes to freegeek, buys some cpus and mobos and tries to do this xD

I'd do this but there isnt one in my area lol

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

5 minutes ago, Tie Lightning said:

For what reason would you do this? And how would you make your own riser?

I have no reason other than because I can. 

4 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

I think if I cut off the bottom of one CPU then connect wires to that then to the CPU. 

4 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

theoretically, its possible, but no saying if it would work

Never seen/heard it done before, not sure how you'd mount the heatsink ontop of that...

Not sure how a heatsink would work. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenBE said:

The only thing I wonder, is there really a purpose for this?

I had the idea for a custom build that would be like an explosion. I could do that with the GPUs some what easily with riser cards them I thought this would work with a CPU.

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

The main issue I would see with this is latency or inference problems since they specifically design traces on the board to be a certain lengths and even create extra turns if needed to make some longer. 

This is what I was thinking and why I asked. 

20 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

This is what I was thinking and why I asked. 

Well, that question isn't easily answered. There are limits to the things even enthusiasts know...

My guess is that it's highly circumstantial based on the specific motherboard, CPU, length of the riser, materials used, hell- maybe even RAM and GPUs (After all, they communicate directly with the CPU)...

But since this is not something that people do, I think the only ways to get an answer would be either to do it or ask a microcircuitry engineer.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

46 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Or make it so that its upside down and just the heatspreader touches the water

True watercooling right there. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I don't think it would run very well if at all even if it were perfectly wired. The added latency would wreck havoc like W-L said. The cpu is very latency sensitive, all the traces on the mobo are designed so that specific signals arrive at specific times.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

So look like this...?

intel-pentium-ii-400mhz-100-512-2v-slot-

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

• 2 years later...

I will add my 2 cents . DIY computers are made from standards ATX etc and there are made in an easy way to built and upgrade. Motherboards cases are all made from the same standard for compatibility. The way they are made and manufactured has been designed for easy of installation and upgradability. Intel made slot loading cpus before but no way to add aftermarket cpu coolers that lat you the stock cpu cooler the only option. Latency heat issues( that would be a big problem for today's cpus) was concerned and intel didn't need separate l2 cashe so they returned to the socket that is cheaper manufacturing process. Also some manufacturers like dell and hp makes computers wise cpu memory risers but this need costume case and custom motherboard that fits only with there computers These computers are not made to be upgradable from consumers rather than hp or dell services (even if you can upgrade it but if you break something its at your own risk). Even Mac pros had cpu ram risers but also apple computers were never made to be upgradable from end user rather than apple service

Butwhy.ryanreynolds

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

• 4 years later...

id like to bump this discussion as i was considering getting into pc modding and making a video about this to start my youtube channel, is it possible to use an amd cpu and maybe imprint the indents on the back of the socket into a mould to get the dimensions accurate into creating a tower of wires to connect the pin to the socket of the motherboard?

They used to make a 486 socket changer setup back in the intel/amd early days like 2003 maybe in this vein, but that was the end of them too cause sockets were getting too complicated, money etc...

Just now, AI_Must_Di3 said:

They used to make a 486 socket changer setup back in the intel/amd early days like 2003 maybe in this vein, but that was the end of them too cause sockets were getting too complicated, money etc...

i surfed a bit and i think i found what you were talking about, is it this voltage adapter ?

Voltage_converter_for_80486_dx4_processors_2007_03_27.jpg

@5F90 Yup, I believe thats the sucker. I never owned one but i used to see the ads for them all the time in the magazines etc... Pretty cool right?!? 😉

2 hours ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

@5F90 Yup, I believe thats the sucker. I never owned one but i used to see the ads for them all the time in the magazines etc... Pretty cool right?!? 😉

yea it is pretty cool ! Im relatively new to tech but this looks kinda jank and really aesthetic

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bring a old post back to life but i did this and it worked suprisingly well when i made a 3d printed bracket so i know where wires go and then made it waterproof and dunked the IHS in a pool the latency was fine because i just used copper wires sealed with plastic
for those here for the model you can ask me for the lga 2011v3 or the lga 1155 version