Windows vs Third Party Uninstaller

Camsung

You can uninstall programs easily using Windows, but there are some third-party programs like Advanced SystemCare that come with an uninstaller that will scan for and delete left over registry items from uninstalled programs. Will this provide any performance benefits in the long run or should I stick with the standard Windows uninstaller which is faster and easier?

Windows does a decent enough job, though it's true it leaves registry entries and temp files behind.

RevoUninstaller is similar to the uninstaller you mentioned, where it scans the registry after initiating and completing the program's uninstall file.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Windows does a decent enough job, though it's true it leaves registry entries and temp files behind.

RevoUninstaller is similar to the uninstaller you mentioned, where it scans the registry after initiating and completing the program's uninstall file.

What sort of performance different will there be?

What sort of performance different will there be?

Performance difference?

Basically none whatsoever, I use Revo personally.

Ccleaner

Yep CCleaner is a great way to uninstall programs and clean out of date registry files

Cry Havoc!

Performance difference?

Basically none whatsoever, I use Revo personally.

As in will your PC get slower if you don't clean the registry when uninstalling

I just started using ASC's uninstaller. I think its bit easier but slower than windows one. But definetly more effective.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The registry is a database. Accessing, reading, writing on it has 0 performance different if it's empty compared to it it has 20 trillion entries.

That the beauty of a database. Cleaning up the registry is useless. You clean it just for the sake of cleaning it.

The only reason why some people use Revo, is that on rare cases (usually with piss poor made software, let alone uninstaller), it leaves program settings, or if it needs to install a driver, it doesn't remove it, making it, that when yuu update the program in question, you have issues. You normally should not, but again... piss poor made software.

The registry is a database. Accessing, reading, writing on it has 0 performance different if it's empty compared to it it has 20 trillion entries.

That the beauty of a database. Cleaning up the registry is useless. You clean it just for the sake of cleaning it.

The only reason why some people use Revo, is that on rare cases (usually with piss poor made software, let alone uninstaller), it leaves program settings, or if it needs to install a driver, it doesn't remove it, making it, that when yuu update the program in question, you have issues. You normally should not, but again... piss poor made software.

Did i already say that i love you ?

Because i truely do, thanks for clarifying that for everyone GB !

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

Did i already say that i love you ?

Because i truely do, thanks for clarifying that for everyone GB !

Is that actually true? The registry does not affect performance whatsoever?

The most prominent difference is that aftermarket uninstallers allow the removal of multiple softwares at once whereas the Windows one can go pretty slowly.

PC in Profile

Is that actually true? The registry does not affect performance whatsoever?

Ok let me more precises: In Vista and up, the performance there is no performance difference. It was very true in Windows 95/98/Me.

Not so much in NT, and none in Vista (well, so low that its nothing). That's just Microsoft improving the registry system.

Every databases has limitations of some kind that where you pass into that area, performance will drop, or simply can't handle the requested task. That is why you have many databases on the amrket, each with their strength and weaknesses. But in the case of the registry, it's specially tuned for Windows and your programs using it, purposes.

The goal of a registry is:

-> If corruption occurs, its limited to the item(s) in question, and not the entire database, allowing you recover almost everything. If it was a text file, then everything after the corruption is useless (can't be read properly).

-> Avoid redundancies.

-> Ability to access and query information really quickly.

-> Because it has a set of standard API codes to query information from or to the database, it avoids software having to make their own system for reading program settings out of text files, where optimization varies between program to program, and could have memory leaks and other issues which can hamper the user experience.

-> Improved data integrity and independence from programs.

-> Improved security, as it can lock access to some area or all of the database, or registry access to some users, like read only. That is why for example, if you go in the System level registry item, despite Admin, and the registry elevated credentials, you can't delete them.

-> Multiple users at once. You can have multiple programs or user account, can access, or write , or perform queries of any kind, all at once. There is no "File in use", no corruption, no collision, which you can have if it was using something else, like a text file

-> If the item is on top of the database or at the last item in the database, performance in query it is the same.

-> As mentioned, performance is the same no mater how large the number of entries are (assuming that the database doesn't have some limitation where there is a limit on entries before performance loss, or inability to function)

Disadvantages:

-> Very complex to develop the actual database system yourself, especially compared to a text parser which is very easy to do.

-> If the entire database is corrupt, then everything is broken. This could be an issue if a drive fails, and break the database

-> Doing the structure of a database is very time consuming, and complex, which can lead to mistakes, and moving data entries from a modified structure to another can be tricky and time consuming.

-> Costly. Most databases are costly to purchase.

-> Fragmentation of the database... well database (where all entries are), reduces performance

The second item on the list, is the one that concern Windows Registry, as the first, third, and fourth, is already done for you and developers. As for the last one, Vista and up, takes care of that.

Hence that is why Microsoft uses a registry, and why Microsoft will never change from it, and people that say its stupid and should use text files per program/drive, is very silly, and doesn't understand the power of the registry.

I install everything through Revo's installer that way Revo can trace precisely an installed program for that perfect uninstall.

Not really. Because most programs does it's actual setup when you first run the program.

Next time you re-install Windows, backup your programs installed, you'll see how most of them, they'll run perfectly fine despite not being installed.

I don't usually install programs that I don't need.  So in my case, most of the programs I have installed will likely never need to be uninstalled.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads