Xeon E3-1231 vs Core i7-4770

Go to solution Solved by JFischer00,

Well, I step away for a minute and everyone blows up my notifications. That's what I love about this site. I decided to wait until it cooled down and it seems that that point has been reached.

It appears that the conclusion is that in this situation, factoring out iGPU and OCing because neither apply, I should choose the Xeon E3-1231 because it is essentially the same processor for $50 less.

Is there any reason why I should pay ~$50 more for the 4770 other than iGPU that I won't use anyway?

Well, the 4790k is can be overclocked. 

If you do not plan on overclocking, and really dont care about the extra little bit of GHz or the iGPU, the Xeon is a better deal. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Gaming (and other similar applications) prefer less cores and more performance per core. If you're buiding a high end NAS or something, a xeon would be good, but if you're just playing games then and i7 will be way better, believe me.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

If they are the same with clock speeds and cores, buy the cheaper one.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

2 minutes ago, Badazzz said:

Gaming (and other similar applications) prefer less cores and more performance per core. If you're buiding a high end NAS or something, a xeon would be good, but if you're just playing games then and i7 will be way better, believe me.

no it will not. only if you overclock it you will see much of a benefit. but non-k i7 doesn't OC.

also typing believe me instantly removes all credibility from your post.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

They're almost the same, the main difference being that the Xeon has no iGPU like the i7 has. The Xeon should also be cheaper. If you don't want to overclock, and you don't need the iGPU, then the Xeon would be enough. 

I used to be quite active here.

Seeing as you're looking at a 4770 which can't overclock you might as well save your money and go with the Xeon, unless of course you plan on doing anything that can take advantage of Quick Sync

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

3 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

no it will not. only if you overclock it you will see much of a benefit. but non-k i7 doesn't OC.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1230-v3-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4770K

The 4770 beat the xeon in all departments not overclocked. But I don't know, maybe I'm just stupid because I like to look at real statistics and not stupid forum rumors.

EDIT: "Believe me" is just something I say as a part of a speech pattern, I don't know what it has to do with my credibility.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

1 minute ago, Badazzz said:

The 4770 beat the xeon in all departments not overclocked. But I don't know, maybe I'm just stupid because I like to look at real statistics and not stupid forum rumors.

Please dont use this "cpuboss" as reference, its a pretty bad website.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

4 minutes ago, Badazzz said:

More specifily you like to look at CPU boss. Right there is your problem. I have seen acctually credible sources measure them the other way around regardless of task (if the iGPU is not involved).

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

5 minutes ago, Badazzz said:

EDIT: "Believe me" is just something I say as a part of a speech pattern, I don't know what it has to do with my credibility.

CPUBOSS? LOL

not to mention you compared 1230 vs 4770K

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E3-1231-v3-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4770/m11040vs1978

http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_xeon_e3_1231_v3-437-vs-intel_core_i7_4770-36

it's EXACTLY the same

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

8 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, the 4790k is can be overclocked. 

If you do not plan on overclocking, and really dont care about the extra little bit of GHz or the iGPU, the Xeon is a better deal. 

he's talking about the i7 4770, not the i7 4790k.

a 4770 cannot be overclocked and has only the igpu on it as a difference.

@JFischer00 there's really no reason to get the 4770, just get the xeon and throw a cheap 240gb ssd in with the money you saved. ssd's are always a good investment :D

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just now, Badazzz said:

lol a cpuboss link.

the procesors are identical. except the i7 has igpu that the OP specified that he doesn`t use it anyway. oh and 100mhz less on turbo. so 100mhz less for 1 core only. insignificant. 

http://ark.intel.com/products/75122/Intel-Core-i7-4770-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/80910/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1231-v3-8M-Cache-3_40-GHz

1 minute ago, RuLeZ said:

Please dont use this "cpuboss" as reference, its a pretty bad website.

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

More specifily you like to look at CPU boss. Right there is your problem. I have seen credible sources acctual measure them the other way around regardless of task (if the iGPU is not involved).

Then find better statistics for me. I've yet to see a xeon beat a core i7 in gaming on any site.

My ~$200 USD build:

The Xeon is the EXACT same CPU as the i7-4770 (non-K). Same Cores, same architecture, everything is the same

Only differences are the following:

- Xeon has no igp

Thats it. Aside from maybe  Clock speed differences, or some unimportant instruction sets.

Take the Cheaper one. No reason for an i7, as long you dont OC it.

Just now, Atmos said:

he's talking about the i7 4770, not the i7 4790k.

a 4770 cannot be overclocked and has only the igpu on it as a difference.

@JFischer00 there's really no reason to get the 4770, just get the xeon and throw a cheap 240gb ssd in with the money you saved. ssd's are always a good investment :D

Right, but the 4790k is the only LGA 1150 I7 I ever recommend getting.

the 4770, 4770k and 4790 are never worth buying IMO. 

so, yes, if you are not OCing, the Xeon is fine. 

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

If anyone can find statistics that actually say a xeon is better than an i7 then please link me :) because you won't.

My ~$200 USD build:

Then find better statistics for me. I've yet to see a xeon beat a core i7 in gaming on any site.

no one says it beats anything, it's the exact same processor. they are the same. except xeon is WAY cheaper.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Badazzz said:

Please, don't use [anything]boss again. It's one of the WORST comparative sites out there...

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

That is a german report though and they didn' compare to a 4770 but a 4770k.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/CPU-Hardware-154106/Tests/Xeon-E3-1231-v3-Test-1126500/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Just now, Badazzz said:

If anyone can find statistics that actually say a xeon is better than an i7 then please link me :) because you won't.

sure here you go 

same identical cpus. 4ghz turbo both

be amazed

Just now, ZetZet said:

no one says it beats anything, it's the exact same processor. they are the same.

No they aren't. A Xeon has more low performance cores, gaming prefers less cores. I mentioned this in my first post here.

My ~$200 USD build:

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

no one says it beats anything, it's the exact same processor. they are the same. except xeon is WAY cheaper.

Well, and the tiny bit of turbo. 

But, if you are not OCing, a Xeon is the way to go (instead of the I7)

Solitaire. 

Well, they perform the same, but the Xeon is cheaper, and therefore better. That is the consensus we reached here. 

So here is your link: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/545799-xeon-e3-1231-vs-core-i7-4770/

Solitaire. 

1 minute ago, Badazzz said:

No they aren't. A Xeon has more low performance cores, gaming prefers less cores. I mentioned this in my first post here.

THEY ARE THE SAME CORES AT THE SAME SPEEDS. i7 boosts 100MHz higher, THAT'S IT.

Spoiler