Xeon E3-1231 vs Core i7-4770

Go to solution Solved by JFischer00,

Well, I step away for a minute and everyone blows up my notifications. That's what I love about this site. I decided to wait until it cooled down and it seems that that point has been reached.

It appears that the conclusion is that in this situation, factoring out iGPU and OCing because neither apply, I should choose the Xeon E3-1231 because it is essentially the same processor for $50 less.

Just now, s3ns3 said:

sure here you go 

same identical cpus. 4ghz turbo both

be amazed

Well I'm going to step down here and say you're right. I'm sorry I was misinformed.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

2 minutes ago, Badazzz said:

If anyone can find statistics that actually say a xeon is better than an i7 then please link me :) because you won't.

It's not better. 

its exactly the same as it's i7 competitor clock per clock.

it also costs the same as the i5

you're getting an i7 4790, for the price of an i5 4690, that's why the 1231v3 is so amazing. that's an extra 100+ dollars that you can spend on something like a 500gb ssd

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

4 minutes ago, Badazzz said:

No they aren't. A Xeon has more low performance cores, gaming prefers less cores. I mentioned this in my first post here.

Sadly, there is no such thing for Skylake or X99.

Nor if you want to OC. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Well, I step away for a minute and everyone blows up my notifications. That's what I love about this site. I decided to wait until it cooled down and it seems that that point has been reached.

It appears that the conclusion is that in this situation, factoring out iGPU and OCing because neither apply, I should choose the Xeon E3-1231 because it is essentially the same processor for $50 less.

1 hour ago, Badazzz said:

No they aren't. A Xeon has more low performance cores, gaming prefers less cores. I mentioned this in my first post here.

We are talking about a specific Xeon. The E3-1231v3. the 1231v3 is 4 Haswell cores with hyper-threading, the same cache as the i7-4770, the same boost clock for more than 1 core, basically identical other than the Xeon's lack of an iGPU. It's cheaper than the i7-4770 for the same performance. We aren't talking about the super expensive, many core Xeon processors here, but a very specific one. That's where his claim (and my claim) comes from. 

I agree with OP, it's more cost effective to get the Xeon in this case. 

I used to be quite active here.

The i7-4770 will boost to 3.7 GHz on all cores in quadcore loads, the Xeon E3-1231v3 will boost to 3.6 GHz on quadcore loads. I wouldn't pay $50 for a 2.8% higher boost clock, especially since the 1231v3 will likely run cooler and at a lower voltage being it's Haswell Refresh and binned for server/workstation use.