Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X vs ATH-AD900X vs Sennheiser HD 598 vs HD 600 vs HD 650

Hey everyone, 

I have a question which of the headphones is the best?

I will mainly use it for FPS games where sound is key! (like CS:GO)

Thnx :D !

AD700x

And a sound card.

1 hour ago, EUD said:

AD700x

And a sound card.

What would a soundcard be supposed to achieve?

33 minutes ago, SSL said:

What would a soundcard be supposed to achieve?

dolby surround

13 hours ago, SSL said:

Gross.

13 hours ago, Jacona said:

It's like having a nice piece of steak, then smothering it with ketchup. 

you tell me. for me, its having nice piece of steak and deciding what ketchup you will use to eat it. there is no option without ketchup as games with decent surround implemented that runs on CPU dont exist ( or i am not aware of them ). there are only games with decent sound.

I am sure that processing audio makes it different, and worse quality. But you cant display surround to stereo system in any other way than either delaying sound( intensive ), crossover (not intensive) or making it sound differently (quite intensive).

It gets processed because source is not ( most of the times ) recorded in multi channel, in fact in games, unless you are stationary, there is no other way than processing to achieve that.

I might got something wrong, but i am sure that processing is only way for stereo surround, it just matter how you do it.

Now you tell me what is best of the worst. Because it aint onboard.

Btw, if you have real 7.1 setup, thats handled differently ye?

I have the AD900x just because it has more bass to it that will push it over the AD700x if you plan to listen to music a lot alongside gaming. Both the ad900x and the ad700x have the same enormous sound stage (ability to listen to a sound's location) that I would recommend over most of the sennheisers you listed. The Audio Tecnicas has been compared to the hd598 in terms of thier sound-stage but I would still go ad900x or the ad700x. If you want surround sound then download Razer Synapse and use the razer surround program (its free and works well). 

If you choose to go with the HD600 or HD650 you will get insane audio quality (for a lot more $) that is suited more towards music rather than games. You will definitely have to invest in a dac and amp capable of driving those cans. That will cost around $300 minimum. The HD600 and HD650 sound stage is nowhere near the AD900x or 700x 's sound-stage so if your playing games go with the Audio Technicas and if your on a budget get the AD700x over the AD900x.

I play a lot of CSGO with my AD900x and I love them.

4 hours ago, DankDongles said:

I have the AD900x just because it has more bass to it that will push it over the AD700x if you plan to listen to music a lot alongside gaming

AD700x and AD900x have no sonic differences, fit and finish is higher on AD900x, pretty much their only difference.  AD1000x is the first upgrade to the driver.

Also a 600/650 can be driven fine with just an O2 or a Magni 2.  And OP, since some of your cans are in that price range anyway, I suggest taking a look at the AD1000x, soundstage is smaller than the 700x/900x, but is less diffuse.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

4 hours ago, DankDongles said:

You will definitely have to invest in a dac and amp capable of driving those cans. That will cost around $300 minimum.

Nope. Certainly not a DAC, you can get away with a $100 amp easily for the HD6x0

On 2/7/2016 at 1:44 AM, EUD said:

you tell me. for me, its having nice piece of steak and deciding what ketchup you will use to eat it. there is no option without ketchup as games with decent surround implemented that runs on CPU dont exist ( or i am not aware of them ). there are only games with decent sound.

I am sure that processing audio makes it different, and worse quality. But you cant display surround to stereo system in any other way than either delaying sound( intensive ), crossover (not intensive) or making it sound differently (quite intensive).

It gets processed because source is not ( most of the times ) recorded in multi channel, in fact in games, unless you are stationary, there is no other way than processing to achieve that.

I might got something wrong, but i am sure that processing is only way for stereo surround, it just matter how you do it.

In my experience, Dolby Headphones is the worst thing I've ever tried. I'd take onboard over Dolby Headphones any day of the week and pay $10 a month to keep it away from me.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Plizz stop saying he needs a dac and amp many motherboards has great amps and dacs on them that can power 600ohm headphones.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 2/7/2016 at 3:44 AM, EUD said:

If you want that simulated surround, you can freely download Razer Surround, no need for a sound card with the same audio quality as a motherboard can offer. The only sound cards worth anything, are too highly priced to be worth buying. Basically, unless you had an ASUS Raid DLX Pro or whatever it's called or a Creative ZxR, you may as well have used onboard because you just spent money on 0 difference. I myself do use the ZxR, but as said in prior threads, I would NEVER recommend anyone buy one. I bought it for the amp alone in an internal solution, the only issue however, is that a far higher quality amp can be had for HALF the cost, ala Schiit Magni.

Buying a sound card for gaming in this day and age, is probably the dumbest thing someone can do, and all it means, is that you fell for marketing due to your own ignorance. Is it a bad thing? It doesn't have to be, as of this time you can now understand that sound cards are a waste of money with how far onboard audio has come.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

5 minutes ago, sobe said:

If you want that simulated surround, you can freely download Razer Surround, no need for a sound card with the same audio quality as a motherboard can offer. The only sound cards worth anything, are too highly priced to be worth buying. Basically, unless you had an ASUS Raid DLX Pro or whatever it's called or a Creative ZxR, you may as well have used onboard because you just spent money on 0 difference. I myself do use the ZxR, but as said in prior threads, I would NEVER recommend anyone buy one. I bought it for the amp alone in an internal solution, the only issue however, is that a far higher quality amp can be had for HALF the cost, ala Schiit Magni.

Buying a sound card for gaming in this day and age, is probably the dumbest thing someone can do, and all it means, is that you fell for marketing due to your own ignorance. Is it a bad thing? It doesn't have to be, as of this time you can now understand that sound cards are a waste of money with how far onboard audio has come.

onboard does not have any surround really. sure it might perks, but if you want surround, onborad, unless its ROG or something, does not support not even dolby.

looking forward for AMDs chips on graphics card for TrueAudio, i hope they make it good

Just now, EUD said:

onboard does not have any surround really. sure it might perks, but if you want surround, onborad, unless its ROG or something, does not support not even dolby.

looking forward for AMDs chips on graphics card for TrueAudio, i hope they make it good

Actually there are various versions of Realtek and other onboard solutions that offer a Surround option as standard, not in relation to RoG or other higher end motherboards. Does not even support Dolby? It's just software licensing... Razer Surround is the same thing without the licensing crap slapped on hardware and sold to the uneducated masses who thinks it matters, pro-tip, it doesn't matter outside of sponsorships. And as I've said previously, if you want to talk about pro players getting where they were and such, I use CS1.6 and CSSource as examples, onboard + HD555 were always a popular choice, no simulated Dolby.

EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

7 minutes ago, EUD said:

I am sorry to bring you bad new but generally the quality of the sound goes down when you put 5.1 or 71 software over it. When you use stereo you can pinpoint where the sounds comes from if the games has a good sound engine just  as good as when you have 7.1 or 5.1.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

A case could be made that simulated surround can bring something nice to the experience. I don't have to make the claim that simulated surround improves imaging, I just have to make the claim that it alters the experience and for some in a positive way. Some people use Razer Surround, and given that it's free, it's an obvious first choice. But if we know that other options exist that do not sound identical to it, then one can make the argument that trying out all of the options is worth it (if the person has the access or the coin). It's not something that should be recommended to most people of course.

But also, of all the options... I think Dolby Headphones is really seriously just terrabad.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

3 minutes ago, sobe said:

Actually there are various versions of Realtek and other onboard solutions that offer a Surround option as standard, not in relation to RoG or other higher end motherboards. Does not even support Dolby? It's just software licensing... Razer Surround is the same thing without the licensing crap slapped on hardware and sold to the uneducated masses who thinks it matters, pro-tip, it doesn't matter outside of sponsorships. And as I've said previously, if you want to talk about pro players getting where they were and such, I use CS1.6 and CSSource as examples, onboard + HD555 were always a popular choice, no simulated Dolby.

i think thats because CS is unoptimized and you can hear sounds at same distance

for cs you basicly cant use it because of game itself

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I am sorry to bring you bad new but generally the quality of the sound goes down when you put 5.1 or 71 software over it. When you use stereo you can pinpoint where the sounds comes from if the games has a good sound engine just  as good as when you have 7.1 or 5.1.

it does, that is true.

if you have 5.1, its true, not virtual. no processing needed to skew sounds.

razer does have some problems with their software. so thats why it might not be best option and maybe creative blaster z might be better choice

1 minute ago, EUD said:

i think thats because CS is unoptimized and you can hear sounds at same distance

it does, that is true.

razer does have some problems with their software. so thats why it might not be best option and maybe creative blaster z might be better choice

If the sound engine in a game is good/okay then you dont need 5.1 or 7.1 and csgo has a pretty good sound engine

Just now, EUD said:

it does, that is true.

There is no true with headphones, 5.1 and 7.1 does not exist in the headphone world, just marketing and all simulated(fake).

A game that is heavily reliant on sounds, you want to say can't be used as an example? lol, same goes for any other title, the title doesn't matter, all you need are quality open headphones be it the AD900, HD555, Q701, etc. All that virtual surround sound crap does is mess with the audio, NOT something you want when positional audio is what you are after. If you like the fake 7.1 or whatever, then whatever, but in a game as heavily reliant on sounds as CS, I'll take 2.0 headphones over 7.1 headphones and hear things clearer and better, ANY day of the week. (and like only a few on the LTT forums, I've actually tried various 7.1 headsets compared to my daily driver DT990s and HD555 & 598s)

1 minute ago, sobe said:

There is no true with headphones, 5.1 and 7.1 does not exist in the headphone world, just marketing and all simulated(fake).

A game that is heavily reliant on sounds, you want to say can't be used as an example? lol, same goes for any other title, the title doesn't matter, all you need are quality open headphones be it the AD900, HD555, Q701, etc. All that virtual surround sound crap does is mess with the audio, NOT something you want when positional audio is what you are after. If you like the fake 7.1 or whatever, then whatever, but in a game as heavily reliant on sounds as CS, I'll take 2.0 headphones over 7.1 headphones and hear things clearer and better, ANY day of the week. (and like only a few on the LTT forums, I've actually tried various 7.1 headsets compared to my daily driver DT990s and HD555 & 598s)

There are a true pair of 5.1 they are called tritton pro + they sound like shit but they are true 5.1

1 minute ago, sobe said:

sry, didnt mean real 5.1 headphone, yeah thats horrible.

i meant 5.1 surround with speakers. there is no audio processing going on there, because you dont need to.

with headphones there is absolutely no other way to display sounds that are for example behind you differently than to mess with the audio.

Just now, Dackzy said:

There are a true pair of 5.1 they are called tritton pro + they sound like shit but they are true 5.1

They are not true 5.1, same goes for Medusa-USA's old 5.1 headsets or the Razer Tiamat 7.1 with several shitty drivers in each earcup.

5.1/7.1 works by placing various speakers around your head at a distance with proper positioning in a room, something you cannot do with speakers resting on your ear. This has been gone over on these forums numerous times already.

We don't hear surround  cues the same. We all have different shaped ears and shoulders and different implementations of surround produce different results. So its important that people listen to it themselves with their equipment and assess if it improves spatial awareness.

The average person doesn't have an issue with the default in directx but some of us do and its all to so with the head related transform function used. Until the day comes when we can select our own the only way to choose is by choosing between the various methods. So its important to appreciate that for yourself there may be no value, but not everyone has your ears and shoulder shape and hence doesn't have the same hrtf.

2 minutes ago, sobe said:

They are not true 5.1, same goes for Medusa-USA's old 5.1 headsets or the Razer Tiamat 7.1 with several shitty drivers in each earcup.

5.1/7.1 works by placing various speakers around your head at a distance with proper positioning in a room, something you cannot do with speakers resting on your ear. This has been gone over on these forums numerous times already.

Yes but that is what the industri calls true 5.1 where they put many shitty drivers in a single earcup