iVerge: "Windows Phone is dead", they couldn't be more wrong.

AlTech

As you saw by the title, The Verge, which I like to call iVerge for their extreme Apple bias, has proclaimed Windows Phone to be "dead".

post-89336-0-96832200-1454070791.png

The Verge / iVerge says:

Windows Phone started off life as a promising alternative to Android and iOS five years ago. Microsoft positioned its range of Windows Phone 7 handsets as the true third mobile ecosystem, but it's time to admit it has failed. If a lack of devices from phone makers and even Microsoft itself wasn't enough evidence, the final nail in the coffin hit today. Microsoft only sold 4.5 million Lumia devices in the recent quarter, compared to 10.5 million at the same time last year. That's a massive 57 percent drop. Even a 57 percent increase wouldn't be enough to save Windows Phone right now.

With Lumia sales on the decline and Microsoft's plan to not produce a large amount of handsets, it's clear we're witnessing the end of Windows Phone. Rumors suggest Microsoft is developing a Surface Phone, but it has to make it to the market first. Windows Phone has long been in decline and its app situation is only getting worse. With a lack of hardware, lack of sales, and less than 2 percent market share, it's time to call it: Windows Phone is dead. Real Windows on phones might become a thing with Continuum eventually, but Windows Phone as we know it is done. It won't stop Microsoft producing a few handsets every year as a vanity project, but for everyone else it's the end of the line. Farewell, Windows Phone.

Sorry but iVerge is wrong. Windows Phone has never been better. The OS is well developed and mature, and has all the features you would expect, that you have, out of the box from Android and iOS, if not, then actually more. Just because the Lumia brand is dying (you can learn more about that here) doesn't mean Windows Phone is dying. In fact, there are $599 flagships that have been announced such as the Acer (of all people) Liquid Jade. In addition, the Lumia 950 and 950 XL has just been released, and just recently put in stock at proper amount in most regions, so sales figures will only show later. In addition, Microsoft is making the Surface Phone, when they release it, market share will go up.

And how is Windows Phone supposed to grow if you're clearly biased and like every other anti-Microsoft "Reviewer" are.  This is stupid and proves nothing.

Sorry my french, but: Screw you iVerge. Go and be an Apple shill somewhere else.

Leave a comment below!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/28/10864034/windows-phone-is-dead

@GoodBytes They think that Windows Phone will die cos most people don't use it.

@Kherm You might wanna take a look at this

Edited by alpenwasser
Helped clean up the... English

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Stupidity and clickbaiting at its finest.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

let's be honest, it was never popular, their last line-up is complete trash and no major manufacturer wants to make windows phones.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Ex-WP User.

WindowsPhone is dead.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I'd love for Windows Phone to be good... but it's just not.

In my experience it's about as useful as a Blackberry.

Acer does apparently.

Editing Quotes can get you in big trouble. CHange it before i have to report it.

Since when is Acer major manufacturer? Especially in phones?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'd love for Windows Phone to be good... but it's just not.

In my experience it's about as useful as a Blackberry.

How is it not?

Ex-WP User.

WindowsPhone is dead.

WHAT????!!!! Don't board the false Hype Train!  WP is still alive and well!

People leaving is why it's getting worse!

Phone is dead? Plug it in and charge it?

It's funny cos Windows PHone have great battery life.

lol

Now that I re-read what i wrote, i actually found it hilarious. But they did deserve what i gave them.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It's funny cos Windows PHone have great battery life.

They don't. Windows Phone has worse battery life than even Android with Lollipop or iPhones. Marshmallow pushed Android to another level and iPhone 6s also got ahead.

Windows phones currently have the worst battery life on the market.

Spoiler

They don't. Windows Phone has worse battery life than even Android with Lollipop or iPhones. Marshmallow pushed Android to another level and iPhone 6s also got ahead.

Really? Cos i easily manage more than day while my peers with iPhones charge theirs every day.

Really? Cos i easily manage more than day while my peers with iPhones charge theirs every day.

you have a low end phone with big battery and 240p display. sure it will last longer than top tier devices. that's the case with android phones that have shitty specs too.

Spoiler

Now you're being silly. Let's look at Windows phone: In Germany, right now you can choose from 30 different WP devices that have been released since the first of January 2015. 21 of those are Lumia devices. The remaining 9 are either made by Acer or companies I've never heard of (Trekstor? Blu? Archos?). No major Phone maker bothered to make a new Windows Phone since 2014. WindowsPhone is as dead as it gets.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

you have a low end phone with big battery and 240p display. sure it will last longer than top tier devices. that's the case with android phones that have shitty specs too.

240p display? LMAO! And it's mid range. And it has an enormous battery.

Now you're being silly. Let's look at Windows phone: In Germany, right now you can choose from 30 different WP devices that have been released since the first of January 2015. 21 of those are Lumia devices. The remaining 9 are either made by Acer or companies I've never heard of (Trekstor? Blu? Archos?). No major Phone maker bothered to make a new Windows Phone since 2014. WindowsPhone is as dead as it gets.

People have heard of Acer and people buying Windows Phones have heard of Blu.

How is it not?

A few points, in my opinion:

• The user experience is unpleasant.
  • The UI is unpleasant.
  • The App selection is extremely poor.
  • There is nothing exciting being done with hardware

People that say that Windows Phone is dead don't know anything. First of all, BlackBerry is in the worst state right now. And no one is calling "d00000m" on them, especially that is has even worst app support. If you think that Windows Phone has no app, you never looked at a BlackBerry, even when it used to have a market share.

Microsoft doesn't care about market share, and it is true they are doing little effort in keeping users to the platform (that is an issue that I am not happy with). The company is treating it as a niche product.

If I had to be honest, I never liked Windows Phone 7, nor Windows Phone 8. I didn't like them, and made me cringe when I use them. It feels like a phone aimed for casual and mostly "entertainment" use, and not what phone is about at the time of release: a serious device that people wants to do more. It isn't your MP3 player, but rather a computer. Windows 10 Mobile does that. It feels like a full OS, an OS that you can do work with, much like the latest and greatest Android version, and iOS.

I have a the Lumia 950 XL, doing an iSwitch style thing from Android (Moto G - yes, I can provide pictures if you don't believe me). I have to say, for those who don't know, using Windows 10 Mobile, is like using Windows 10. I immediately find my way around, something I had a hard time when I first got my hands on my Moto G. Then again, if I may be honest, using Windows 10 Mobile in its current release state, including latest Insider build, of the moment of writing this, although a new insider build is expected to be coming up in the next few days (probably early next week), it feels like when Windows 10 was released on PC. It lacked polish, and it shows it was rushed out to meet the dead line. However, like Windows 10, Microsoft has been active in polishing things and fixing bugs. New builds are being delivers, and the Store app (remember that under Windows 10 Mobile, everything is a program, from the camera to the phone, passing through contact, and the like). It is all helped by carrier not being able to block updates anymore, even firmwares.

240p display? LMAO! And it's mid range. And it has an enormous battery.

I am sorry, but if you think SD400 was ever mid-range you are deluded. 

3000mAh is not enourmous, especially for a 5.7 inch phone, it's below average.

It lasts long because of bad ppi and weak processor.

If you compare top tier devices WP is always last on battery life.

Spoiler

I will move away from android because fuck the mobile "game" market

some of the games on the google play store is good though, like ports of old games/ new games

Ive heard that geometry wars 3 on android is good, but ive yet to try it out

Also they have ported a lot of ascii games like nethack

and emulators

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Yes they do. I can't get through half the day without mine draining instantly. Not to mention the bug that makes me waste over 5GB of my shared data.

I am sorry, but if you think SD400 was ever mid-range you are deluded. 

3000mAh is not enourmous, especially for a 5.7 inch phone, it's below average.

It lasts long because of bad ppi and weak processor.

If you compare top tier devices WP is always last on battery life.

Hey the PPI is perfect! You don't need more than 259 PPI!

Snapdragon 400 is mid range and was until Snapdragon 615 came along. And calling me Deluded is insulting and is "A personal attack". 3000mAh is enormous. the iPhone 6s Plus has 2750mAh battery.

Yes they do. I can't get through half the day without mine draining instantly. Not to mention the bug that makes me waste over 5GB of my shared data.

That's the 950XL mate.

Wish every 5.7 inch phones had 6000 mAh battery capacity... Stupid slimness factor. Well, all Samsung flagships are in the 3000-3400 mAh range so far, exept for the A9 which is still massive in size even with a 4000mAh battery. But hey about you saying that Windows phone has never been good, yes it may true, but wouldnt that make Android dead aswell? A person with todays phones will never get Android 7.0, unless we get a Nexus, so from my perspective, every android phone that doesnt get at least 2 new iterations of software, is dead. And that pretty much is 99% of android phones :/. Cmon people, we all know Windows Phone software is bad and Apples pricing is blasphemic, but theyr hardware is spectacular and theyr update system is "mostly" on par with Google's Nexus family. Btw, there are so many portable chargers out there, pretty slim ones. For the people who can aquire an Anker Cell with Power IQ and possibly Quick Charge 2.0, its always a life saviour. 

Groomlake Authority

@GoodBytes These Apple sluts think that Windows Phone will die cos most people don't use it.

Err, well... I think you'll find that historically, in such a closed market as mobile operating systems, most people not using a product is a pretty good reason for that product to "die". Just sayin'. That's what happened to Blackberry and Nokia's Symbian operating system.

Hey the PPI is perfect! You don't need more than 259 PPI!

Snapdragon 400 is mid range and was until Snapdragon 615 came along. And calling me Deluded is insulting and is "A personal attack". 3000mAh is enormous. the iPhone 6s Plus has 2750mAh battery.

That's the 950XL mate.

sd400 was never mid range, it can't even drive 1080p display.

259ppi is good for a computer monitor or tablet. For phones not so much, I can see pixels on iPhone 6s "retina" display. 400+ ppi is where the difference starts to become unnoticeable.

Just because iPhone 6s plus has below average battery doesn't mean it's good. Also iPhone 6s plus is 5.5, not 5.7 inch.

yeah I forgot to mention that WP10 feels like alpha build with all the bugs.

Spoiler