New Tomb Raider is Unoptimized at Best

afyeung

I know people will say "No game is perfect at launch and such", but they had tons of time to work on this and Nvidia also worked with them as well to bring the recommended specs. I honestly saw this coming miles away. And it's not because of Denuvo. cough*gameworks*cough. A fun fact, the game also crashed at the Square Enix live stream on their PC because of a CPU error. Just know what to expect when you boot up the game tomorrow. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

WHYYYY

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

WHYYYY

Unfortunately AMD pure hair doesn't stand a chance against the amount of Nvidia code in that game. It's usually not a bad thing when they bundle games with GPUs, but it was a red herring when they focused a ton on the graphics and such 

Unfortunately AMD pure hair doesn't stand a chance against the amount of Nvidia code in that game. It's usually not a bad thing when they bundle games with GPUs, but it was a red herring when they focused a ton on the graphics and such 

Sad part is that it looks exactly the same as the last one. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Sad part is that it looks exactly the same as the last one. 

That is actually wayyyy false. The game although with its "minor" quirks, looks A LOT better than the previous one. Textures are much better, game effects such as snow and blood do a good job, and AMD pure hair is a lot more refined than Tress Fx. 

It's a shame. The last one performs well on pretty much everything. Hopefully it improves quickly. 

damn

i guess my ibook won't run it

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

It's a shame. The last one performs well on pretty much everything. Hopefully it improves quickly. 

I was actually looking forward to this one being MORE optimized than the last one because AMD had time to refine Tress FX which was the slow down of 2013 tomb raider. It knocked off performance so much that it was recommended to leave it off, not to mention the hair shadows were complete garbage. However, this time it's not that hair's fault but something else which sucks

That is actually wayyyy false. The game although with its "minor" quirks, looks A LOT better than the previous one. Textures are much better, game effects such as snow and blood do a good job, and AMD pure hair is a lot more refined than Tress Fx.

To me it looks generally the same. Ground texture is still meh. Character textures might have improved but since you roll around on the ground and climb walls mostly in that game character detail doesn't matter much. Lara does look pretty hot in cutscenes tho.

Spoiler

To me it looks generally the same. Ground texture is still meh. Character textures might have improved but since you roll around on the ground and climb walls mostly in that game character detail doesn't matter much. Lara does look pretty hot in cutscenes tho.

I agree. But if you look at the overall foliage detail and stuff like the big rocks, it is significantly better than the last one. I've spent a lot of time playing the old one at 1440p @ ultimate settings, but I can already tell even from a youtube vid, this new one looks a lot better

The game performs terrible because it's a console port. Performance issues should always be expected at launch.

As far as graphics go, I'm not that impressed.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

The game performs terrible because it's a console port. Performance issues should always be expected at launch.

As far as graphics go, I'm not that impressed.

"Console port" It's not like it's using a completely different API or has code from Nvidia that will never work on a console. Or the fact that the devs partnered with the biggest desktop GPU manufacturer on the market. Yeah, totally a "console port". Man, I hate that term being thrown around so loosely.  

shame. tomb raider 2013 performed pretty admirably. looks like nothing's beating mad max yet.. 

"Console port" It's not like it's using a completely different API or has code from Nvidia that will never work on a console. Or the fact that the devs partnered with the biggest desktop GPU manufacturer on the market. Yeah, totally a "console port". Man, I hate that term being thrown around so loosely.  

My comment still stands. You can't expect a game to run perfectly fine on day one, ever. Period! Stop living in the dream world...

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

My comment still stands. You can't expect a game to run perfectly fine on day one, ever. Period! Stop living in the dream world...

I'm not living in the dream world lol. It's just that Nvidia set the 970 as the target GPU for 1080p 60fps and it looks like it runs poorly at 1080p on a 980. That's just false advertising. And there have been plenty of decent performing games at launch or at least better optimized. This has terrible stuttering like arkham knight. 

I'm not living in the dream world lol. It's just that Nvidia set the 970 as the target GPU for 1080p 60fps and it looks like it runs poorly at 1080p on a 980. That's just false advertising. And there have been plenty of decent performing games at launch or at least better optimized. This has terrible stuttering like arkham knight. 

I'm sure they'll optimize their drivers within the week or so. I wouldn't worry too much.

In terms of what?

optimization. i understand that mad max is rendering a desert but it still performs pretty damn well. 

Still looks perfectly playable at the moment...

CPU  Intel i7 5820k Motherboard Asus X99-S  RAM  32GB (8x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury GPU EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 iCX Case Fractal Design R4 Windowed Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU Corsair RM1000 Display 2x Asus VS239HV Cooling  Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB Mouse Logitech G502 Gaming Surface Razer Golitahus Extended Speed

just gona post this

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

If I remember correctly Tomb Raider 2013 also did not do well performance wise at launch. I just hope they fix the issues quickly. I've been looking forward for this game but I guess I will have to wait some more.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

Win7+980Ti should do fine. I will go for it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Ah. Sad they couldn't reproduce the quality of the first port.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |