Do I even need a computer anymore?

legend8887

I have a gaming PC that I'm going to sell cause I have no time to play any games anymore and I don't see a reason for it to sit there and collect dust when I could get a lot of money for it. I have an iPad Air 2 which I think is even more than enough for what I need it for for school. I was going to get a MacBook to learn to code for iOS but idk about that now either. I can just learn coding on my iPad. Do I need a MacBook or a cheap laptop or am I good with just my iPad?

I have a gaming PC that I'm going to sell cause I have no time to play any games anymore and I don't see a reason for it to sit there and collect dust when I could get a lot of money for it. I have an iPad Air 2 which I think is even more than enough for what I need it for for school. I was going to get a MacBook to learn to code for iOS but idk about that now either. I can just learn coding on my iPad. Do I need a MacBook or a cheap laptop or am I good with just my iPad?

If you are using any sort of digital device, you are still using a computer.

Also, please don't consider coding on an iPad, get a decent laptop that can run a couple of OSes and will properly allow you to develop at least. I'm pretty sure you're not going to have a great time compiling apps on an iPad.

Sig under construction.

Moved to General Discussion. Off Topic is for non-tech content only, and of course with your post count, you should be aware of where threads go.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Please note that the macbook runs/has:

A Desktop OS

More system resources

More multitasking capability

Physical keyboard for typing code

Usually better display and battery life

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

To be honest I think the majority of people dont need anything more than a tablet, those of us who game/photo edit/video edit/modeling/analysis/etc. however, need more. 

If you dont do any of those things, you will probably be fine with an Ipad. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Didnt you already make a post like this? if you need it or not is up to you.

Coding and debugging on an iPad...? Sounds like a nightmare to me, just get a decent laptop and code on that, I know of programmers that bring their own keyboards to work... in a special briefcase.

This is IMPOSSIBLE for us to answer, it really comes down to what YOU need and require from a device

me personally could not live without my PC, and even when my life is busy, I would not want to get RID of my PC incase I needed it, what if you have a few weeks off and decide to play a game, or you need to back up a camera, or something

lots of reasons to have a PC at home even if your iPad is your main daily device - I use my iPad and iphone a lot , but my PC is still important

The answer is, if you dont need one, you dont need one

but as everyone has said, coding etc on an ipad is not ideal, plus you have nowhere to store files outside of cloud etc, and you have very little connectivity 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

ipad suck (imo) for school and coding and such, because:

there is no physical keyboard.

you cannot install things like github, atom and sublime text.

you can't run a webserver on your ipad if you need to test your code (html, css and js)

you can't develop apps for iOS.

sell the gaming pc and get a macbook air 13 inch with 256 gb of storage :)

i personally have the 11 inch macbook air, but the 13 inch version is better, and i have a windows pc with 250 gb of ssd storage, which i wish i had on my macbook.

Coding on an iPad can be quite nice in a pinch when you've nothing else to hand, especially if you shell out for a Keyboard, but I wouldn't recommend coding on an iPad only. Sure, you could get a text editor with some built in Python interpreter or something, but you'd be very much lacking a lot of the tooling and flexibility that a Desktop offers. If you're gonna code on an iPad, it's more for working on a project in git which you can then store on a remote and then pull down those changes to work on later when you're back at your desktop.

Get a MacBook Air or something at least. If you want to code iOS Apps you are going to need XCode anyway.

I have a gami

I think you should sell the desktop and ur ipad and get a MacBook that's my advice

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

iOS is simply not good enough for me, neither is android, the only thing that can satisfy my needs is linux (I like Debian or Arch). I say this because it has all the software I need for programming/networking and I can tweak almost any aspect of its usability.

Comb it with a brick

For coding please get a macbook (with a SSD on it).

It is the best laptop I have ever used.

Even though I own a gaming PC.

Macbook is still hands down the best laptop I have ever used.

If you wanna learn programming, do not sell your monitor though.

You can use it as a extended monitor and connect it to your macbook.

Good Luck!

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

iOS is simply not good enough for me, neither is android, the only thing that can satisfy my needs is linux (I like Debian or Arch). I say this because it has all the software I need for programming/networking and I can tweak almost any aspect of its usability.

Can tell you are a pro..... ;)

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Don't sell your desktop.

Your desktop is better for programming and doing code than an iPad or a macbook.

An iPad for school is really really stupid IMO. I couldn't use just an iPad. I use tools everyday which aren't on iPad.

I have a smartphone, laptop and desktop.

The question is why do you have the iPad? You should be using a laptop for school work at the very least.

Please follow my advice. You sound just like my dad. I owned an iPad. It had only 16Gb.  I wanted a laptop/Windows tablet so i could run Visual Studio and do programming on it. He was saying "Oh, just use your ipad and use a text editor and compile later".

There is no substitute for real programming using laptops or desktops.

I eventually sold my iPad cos I no longer had a use for it.

Later i got a laptop for school when i needed one.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Don't sell your desktop.

Your desktop is better for programming and doing code than an iPad or a macbook.

An iPad for school is really really stupid IMO. I couldn't use just an iPad. I use tools everyday which aren't on iPad.

I have a smartphone, laptop and desktop.

The question is why do you have the iPad? You should be using a laptop for school work at the very least.

Please follow my advice. You sound just like my dad. I owned an iPad. It had only 16Gb.  I wanted a laptop/Windows tablet so i could run Visual Studio and do programming on it. He was saying "Oh, just use your ipad and use a text editor and compile later".

There is no substitute for real programming using laptops or desktops.

I eventually sold my iPad cos I no longer had a use for it.

Later i got a laptop for school when i needed one.

i disagree, i personally have a desktop  (Windows 10) and a laptop (OSX 10.10) (desktop is 4-6x as fast) but the laptop (because it is mac osx) is way better for programming, programming doesn't require alot of processing power but what it does require is all kinds of tools like terminal (it's really handy) because you can just run a webserver with 2 commands.

TL;DR:

programming:

iOS < Android < Windows < OSX

i'm not saying windows completely sucks, but for programming mac osx just works better for me, this may vary for you :)

if you're programming for windows (visual studio) a windows pc might be better for you, otherwise, get a mac :) (or hackintosh if you're into that)

An iPad works perfectly well at school, depends on the student

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If you're thinking of writing and compiling code on an iPad, just let me warn you - you're not gonna have fun with that.

Get a proper laptop. It need not be costly, it doesn't even need to be large, something with an i3 would probably suffice.

For school the  ipad would work fine for those needs but trying to code on an ipad and only an ipad will not be fun. It's really cumbersome to use an ipad to code all the time you will have a much better experience with the desktop you already have. Depending on how much your desktop is worth you could sell that and get a laptop if your looking for something mobile that could also double as a computer for your school work as well.

Either way its entirely up to you and what you need.

~2Bangz~

To be honest I think the majority of people dont need anything more than a tablet, those of us who game/photo edit/video edit/modeling/analysis/etc. however, need more. 

If you dont do any of those things, you will probably be fine with an Ipad. 

May be just me, but I still prefer doing everything on a desktop.

Phone/tablet is fine for when I'm on the move, but I still think the desktop experience is superior, even for the most basic tasks like typing a text/browsing the web, reading email, etc...

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

TL;DR:

programming:

iOS > Android > Windows > OSX

So you are saying iOS is better than the rest for programming?

Comb it with a brick

For coding please get a macbook (with a SSD on it).

It is the best laptop I have ever used.

Even though I own a gaming PC.

Macbook is still hands down the best laptop I have ever used.

If you wanna learn programming, do not sell your monitor though.

You can use it as a extended monitor and connect it to your macbook.

Good Luck!

i second this, i used my monitor for my macbook when i didn't have my gaming pc, it works super well, i bought a cheap adapter on the internet (15 euros) that did mini displayport to vga.

So I herd PCs are dying and tablets are the future.

But they cant even run Crysis!

Linus is my fetish.

It's up to you sonny boi! Personally, if I didn't use my PC for editing and gaming I would still get a cheap laptop at the least. That's because I hate trying to type on a touch screen and most keyboard docks for tablets are doodoo (and expensive).

But If you don't mind typing with a touch screen then stick with a tablet and save you some money (then again, the cost of an Ipad = a laptop in some cases).

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)